The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto

Alright! After a few days of grinding FA on all my 6 L55 characters, I took my tank back to the zones. The first one got me trembling hands and total confusion, but then things got better.

I was surprisingly on the winning side at least 50% of the time, and my comms started going in the direction I want them to go and I started getting an odd MVP here and there, and well, overall feeling less pathetic.

My golden boy is almost L59 though, so I doubt I will be able to max out, particularly because the Weekly is not resetting for me unfortunately. I dropped the Intro to GSF just in case (I probably should just load it once and be the horrible, horrible person instead of having it in the logs forever) ...

Anyway, after converting everything, I think I have about 400 Unranked and ~ 2350 ranked comms. I think it's not so bad, as once I reach L60, I will convert the ranked back (I know, I know) and start with purchasing the pieces that are not Obroan.

Thing is, it is probably fairer too, since I plan to stay with unranked... well, probably forever. I am going to get my tender green behind handed right back to me in real tiny pieces the moment I ding L60! Hold the Line is awesome, but it is not a free ticket to iWINZ.

Part of me really wants to venture straight out on a Sorc too, since I have a bad feeling that my dream of getting into the end game PvE is going to stay in the realm of dreams. Am a coward :)

Edited by DomiSotto

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to confess that I kindda had a low spell with the game for a few days, between the lag and the overall sentiments of the last week. So, I escaped to Tython on my long ago made Knight. I also trained myself on my new Razer Epic.

Today, after running Yavin dailies on a Mara, trying an Op on a Sniper, and taking my new Knight through Esseles I took my Trooper into the zones. Lost all three: an Arena (but I think just staying was showing some guts on my part), a Voidstar (where we did do the whole super-DPS but can't open the door thinggie because we are so very special, but a Sage kept my toon immortal, which was kindda neat) and a Hypergate which I spent chasing the Sorcs off the sides. Tbh, I am starting to dislike AHG by some reason. Maybe it's all the lightening pouring down the sides.

It is heartening to see Sages healing now. :)

Oh, and the Trooper hit the remarkably unremarkable Level 59, with about 1900 comms to go to max out my unranked comms. I probably don't have enough xp points left to max out the ranked comms. :(

as once I reach L60' date=' I will convert the ranked back (I know, I know) and start with purchasing the pieces that are not Obroan[/quote']

If you have too many ranked comms, may I suggest banking speeders instead of shorting yourself :rak_02:

Edited by Joesixxpack

Ha-ha, just got my first 2 matches in on my fierce L12 Guardian. Sure, lost both (Novare and Pipeball). Sins had me in a few hits (I got stuck guarding off-node, and whenever my best friend the Commando did not show up fast enough after my call, I was toast), and DoTs kill me v. fast. VERY fast. But while I was waiting for an acid trap, a mirror of mine decided to kill me, and well... sorry, pal, you're no sin. Surprised myself. I must note however, that we both would been better off, if we've just patiently have waited out the trap and went for the ball.

EDIT: And, took forever to get my daily done on my Vanguard. I think people are starting to leave the midbies.

Edited by DomiSotto

Had a nice WZ tonight, where I managed to get the speaker tell me "You are Immortal" for the first time. :cool:

WZ was an Alderaan Civil War. We were Imps vs Reps, I was on my Lightning Sorc. Full PvP set with top tier MH and OH. No augs. For the first time in my life I saw an 8vs8 at mid, with respawners joining again. So no side turrets were capped. :confused:

After what seemed like a long time spent fighting them back, slowly, I managed to cap mid, then ran away to our side node and capped that too. The other team finally capped their side node, and from that moment on it was a continous run from a turret to the other, to defend. A lovely Sorc Healer helped me a couple of times as I was focused, but apart from that nothing worth noting. Focused my procs, interrupted healers, helped with the focused target... The usual.

At a point, I heard the speaked say "You are Unbeatable". Felt good, I think that's for about 8 medals without dying or so... Yeah. Felt good. :D

We were now about halfway through the match, still with two turrets, and I remained to our side node because everyone ran mid, even the guard... :rolleyes:

Then enemies stopped charging at the side node, and I focused on defending. Keeping my eyes open, making sure Resurgence and Static Barrier were on... The usual.

A bit later, at about 3/4 of the match, I heard the speaker say "You are Invincible", which I think is for a dozen medals or so without dying. Ok, I was farming defense medals, practically. Makes sense.

Then 3 stealth came, followed by a Sage that Force Sped from underneath the middle turret. I called hte Inc, and survived long enough for hte team to come help. Got another fair number of medals as I kept interrupting whoever attempted to cap, while killing others and throwing offheals to healers.

After we fended off, I ran mid again, to find it almost capped. Interrupted the cap, moved close, got some defender points... "You are Immortal". First time ever I heard the speaker say so. WZ ended moments later, I had about 18 medals earned at that point. It was crazy. My whole team earned a number of medals that went from 15 up. :D

Of course, I payed that WZ with the continous focus I received in every single WZ I attempted tonight, but still... :p

I felt particularly noob today. It was not worse than usual, or anything. It is just I had a feeling I was doing the wrong thing. One win, in Novare. Losses in a couple of Gates, and a Huttball. I actually thought we were winning the Gate, the loss really surprised me, because we had held both bases in one of the rounds, and it was from what I understood relatively evenly matched the rest of the times. Must be they killed us more on the mid. Shows you what I know.

The only joy was that I finally delivered a node because normally I get caught up in the fighting and don't get to see the glowy things. Heh, after reading the thread about going Left in HG.... I started going right. A couple of times I ended up yoloing. Lived surprisingly long through it. One time we held their pylon, but lost ours, swapping the nodes.

In a Huttball, no matter what I did, I got endlessly blocked by two DPS. I managed to slow down, and mass CC a couple of times, but i doubt it contributed much, because most of my time was spent in trying to get to the ball, while dodging the two DPS. The scoundrel on our team scored 3x, so at least it was not 5 to 0, still.

As I said, I am feeling particularly noob today, and want to grow up! :) I feel bad for my poor Trooper, he deserves a better partner.

Edited by DomiSotto

Keep up the good work, Domi, practice is all you need to improve. ;)

As for me, tonight I managed to break my record of medals: 21 earned on my Sorc in a Voidstar, thanks to the fact I opened the doors, the bridges, the forcefields and, as if that wasn't enough, interacted with the datacron in the end.

Then on the second turn I guarded the door all the time, offhealed and defused twice. And DPSed, of course... :D

Felt great, but it was one of those WZs where everything is perfect... Hard to get another one like that. :o

Yay you! Sounds like you are having a wonderful run!

Well, I again carried a node :) It was nice. I like doing it. No wonder. I had 3 Hypergates out of 3 zones, 2 losses and 1 win. Which is a better ratio than nromally (hey, 33 % wins!).

The highlight was that I held the pylon against the last min attack by two Sins. Run around hiding my back from him with one, then Carbofroze him, Seismic grenaded the other who popped out, and then finally the count dropped to 1 sec (bless ya!), so I waved them both a fond farewell and put Hold the Line on. I'll take small victories. Asked one of the guys to come join me at about 20 sec mark next turn just in case, a nice guy came over, but no show from the stealth; and finally, one of the Sins tried again at ~30-40 sec mark, sapped me, took a rocket for his troubles and a couple of DPSs came to my frantic typing.

On the downside, had troubles setting off the area taunt from a side button (7) and could not keep up the peels when the other team smartened up and realized that a sage can keep me alive in some 6 vs 1 and split the focus betwixt our duo. And I felt a pout coming on when one of the guys pulled out at 585:700 score. It was not that bad of a loss to leave the team at a disadvantage, you know?

In gear question:

So, I am over 2000 comms again, and I looked at the vendor. It has a speeder for 1,500 unranked comms. It says binds on pickup. Is that the one that has a refund timer?

And I am about 30% into L60, I think. I dunno, I find it strange that I am levelling through just playing PvP so crazy fast?

Edited by DomiSotto

Yay, not a single Hypergate! Actually, pretty active tonight. Was in one Huttball my team absolutely dominated, lost another one just as badly. Had a hard ALderaan with a very 30'ies team. Actually was an ops leader. Tried to keep everyone on the grass, but they would not listen, and keep truing for mid. In the end we lost all the bases. :(

Just felt like telling this story, it's too crazy to remain only mine. :D

I recently made myself a new Assassin, curious to see the changes that turned Madness into Hatred, since the other one I have is a Tank and I plan to keep that way. And well, after running Korriban I arrived on fleet, and picked my missions to run a WZ, a FP and so on. Queued for PvP. Gear is awful and attacks too at that level (11), but oh well... :rolleyes:

First match on the new Assassin. Ever. Corellia Plaza Arena. Imps vs Imps.

Enemy team is a Sniper, a PT, a Sorc and a Jugg. Pretty balanced. :)

My team is... Me. Alone. :eek:

It was hilarious, the other 4 just stormed out and... Killed me. Twice. Not that I didn't try to attack, I almost took down the Sorc... But I died. In just a few secs. 4 vs 1. Gotta love that. :o

Well, on the bright side, hard to see something THIS weird. :p

I had the 4 vs 1 before, 4 vs 2 in the second round. It is very annoying on the overwhelming side as well, tbh, because it made me feel like posting "I am sorry, but there is nothing for it, I hope you understand."

EDIT: I am going to have a breakfast, shop, then park my butt in the chair and level to L60 through PvP. I am starting to feel guilty about being that guy on L59 in a bit of Obroan with everyone complaining about the midbies.

Edited by DomiSotto

And, the best laid plans... ran on the rocks!

Basically, loaded an Arena on Tageren, that we won (yay), but that was it for pops. Plus, trying to apply my Rakata fortitude stim, I RE'd it. Yep, I am special! So, I set the crew to craft the next tier blue fortitude stims and swapped to my Guardian.

Now, Tredici the Guardian pulled 3 zones one after another, no problems at all. Won two, but one was... believe it or not a 4:2 arena. Not just that, it was pub vs pub, so why it couldn't have shuffled us 3:3, I have no clue. Won Hypergate, lost Hypergate.

Getting used to playing a DPS melee again & taunting as prescribed, but finally hit Level 15 (SPEEDER!) and parked for re-equip (Oh, my a mix of 9's and 11's, what was I thinking?!) Also need to check the GTN for the Valiant Chest. The boy looks sort of pretty right now in Atton's jacket and white pants ('cause all men look good in white pants and dark shirts) but decidedly not Knightly.

He is also right now as fragile as any Marauder. OP DCDs, when will you come..... :rolleyes:

Overall though with 3 wins vs 1 loss, that's kindda scary winning ratio for me. I am so used to losing.... that's not gonna end up well!!!

Argh, gotta run! RL, always gets in the way of the best laid plans. Poor Tag.

I took a closer look at Tageren, and he is about 670,000 XP from some 1,200,000 required for L60. So, again, I decided to stick with it. His valor is at 58, and unranked comms are slightly over 3,000. Unfortunately, the midbies are really slow.

In Midbies (Tageren, VGT): 2 Arenas. Against the same team during ~25-30 min of play and waiting (judging from the weapons timers, LOL) . The other team was a pre-made of 2 PTs (DMG and Tank, a Sorc as a healer, and can't remember the 4th guy's AC (bad, I know). First time time i had 3 DPS with me, including a low level Sent, so I let you guess how that went. Second time I loaded with 3 sages, 2 heals and 1 DPS. Holy-cow. Okay, maybe the sages are a touch... not like me when I am playing a Sage. We won without a scratch!

In Lowbies (Tredici, Guardian-Vigi): Novare, Alderaan and Pipeball. Won Novare and Alderan (actually good games, pretty close and some communication despite the level), lost the Piepaball, and in a really BAD way. It was one of those matches when nobody gives two figs about the ball on your side. I grabbed it twice and carried as far as I could with 0 other team-mates anywhere and what looked like more than half of the Empire on me. People where seriously sitting by the gates, and shooting anything but the ball carrier. In fact, I don;t think anyone even bothered to go to the swamp. Save for yours truly. On the score-board I was next to last from the bottom with an amazing total of 3 medals, but the highest in the objectives (which in itself is pathetic, providing how little I did). The one other guy who took interest in the ball must have MVP'd me.

Edited by DomiSotto

I am trying to keep awake, but my persistence paid off - I managed 4 zones later in the evening. It was actually fun, and I was this close to scoring in Pipeball. Didn't though, and almost doesn't show up on the score-boards, so qq's. :)

Also, made a huge mistake in judgment. A Gurdian, some level 40, waltzes to me while I am guarding the pylon in AHG. I always stand on the pylong hiding in the cone of light. I am typing to him "Don't stand on a pylon, you'll get sapped'. No response. Did not move. I figure, well, maybe the Guardians have something special, you know? Like my blessed Shoulder Canon? And move off to the mid. Turn over my shoulder, right at mid, and of course, guy's sapped, no call, Sin's taking the node.

Should have stayed!

I understand that people might not know much, but they can type? Read? Do I start to sound like a real PvP'er now?

Good night, everyone! I have a feeling I will see Hypergate in my dreams or something.

Edited by DomiSotto

Eh, that happens pretty much everywhere... I had it happen in a 60 WZ with my Sorc, just last night. :rolleyes:

We were in Alderaan, we had mid and our side both freshly capped, but the enemy team kept a huge advantage by stalling our caps and stealing our side twice, before we got mid.

Then, they charged in forces at our side again, just after we claimed it after their second cap. Me and another Sorc remained mid, but seeing at how they had about 3 healers, there was no chance my team could resist a 6 vs 7. So, I went to help, confident that said Sorc would call incs or interrupt caps, since we were borderline to win at the time...

Nope. I went to help, and as soon as I killed one of the three healers, which took time... We lost mid. No call, no debuffs on the guarding Sorc - had the guy on my focus target, just to be sure - no dmg gained by him... Nothing. :confused:

Needless to say, we lost that WZ, after that awesome display of how NOT to guard a node... :p

I know, but I am still unhappy with myself. I should have trusted my womanly intuition & should have checked the timer before yoloing to the mid. Basically, my feeling is one should never leave the pylon in the last 45 sec window, unless there is no stealth in the other team (ha-ha!).

Then, again, with 2 of us on the node, the Sin would not have tried, and I would have been beating myself up for babysitting what could have been a perfectly savvy player and feeling like a presumptuous noob.

Lol, that’s all part of the PvP fun. J But I really feel like it would be great to play with the folks I know once in a while.

The problem is my Guilds are backwards. My Imperial Guild PvPs a lot, doesn’t do PvE, and always invites everyone to join into the PvP teams.

My Republic Guild is dead-set on Conquests and does the PvE on the level I am comfortable with for Conquests, and virtually no PvP (they prefer GSF).

But my Imperials are in PvE gear, and my Republicans are in PvP (or PvP-ready 162s) gear.

So, I keep saying: ‘I’d love to, but I am not geared’ on both sides and hit my head on the keyboard. I want to PvP for the Republic and run PvE content on the Imperial side (sigh). I don't want to let go of my fantasy,even if a woman gotta be realistic.

Okay, so the evening play does produce more pops. Managed 2 zones tonight.

The first was Arena, that we won 1:2, with a balanced team of me as a tank, a healing god of a scoundrel, a commando who knew his thing and I can't recall the other guy (give me a break, I am/was half-asleep). The other guys had 3 DPS and a heals. I certainly remember them having a merc and an Assassin. Very vividly. "Cause you know how I feel about the Assassins!

Anyway, that was a win, and we got a loss in a Hypergate after that. The was actually mostly VGs actually, with a commando, and a scoundrel and a slinger. No FU at all I think. It was not a bad wipe, but the guy I kindda used to seeing around pulled out, I think. Too bad, I was going to MVP him, cause yeah, it's nice to see someone you recognize.

50:50, not bad!

But sheesh, I also decided I am ready to be back at the gym, so hopefully I can take the double whammy on the wrists.

Oh. My. God. What a glorious night to be a PvP noob! :) I am about 12,000 XP away from Level 60, and half way into valor 60, with about 5,500 unranked comms.

Tomorrow I'll have my behind handed to me in L60 bracket.

But tonight was glorious. Who needs sleep!

Three arenas, hypergate, classic Huttball and voidstar (the non-arenas I was actually playing against my imperial guildies), and all wins. And, nope, not face-rolling the low levels, we played Arena in high 50'ies pretty much with a Guardian in 40ies on our side. All 3 arenas, we've lost the first round, smarten up, and won the 2nd and 3rd. Two arenas I played basically against the same guys (one changed) with two different teams. The guys were just well, better than yours truly, and we were lucky loading a balanced every time. Aww, I hope when I play heals, I will grow up to be like those guys. :)

I mean, I lost a cap by being stuck in a chat window, again. I dunno how, because the call went. Luckily someone came to my call and we got the node back, but I felt terrible.

Oh, and I did not score in the Huttball, but the Amazing Scoundrel did from my pass. One day, one day....

Edited by DomiSotto

I recently took my second Assassin (DPS, this time) back into use, and ran a couple WZs with him just today.

He's very low, he was at 12 on his first WZ ever, today... :rolleyes:

Novare Coast. Ok, I like it. We zone in, say our hellos, then notice nobody is going NE, so I go myself, making clear that "I'm lvl 12, if I call an inc, be sure to come fast, because I have nothing to stop a cap or delay death". Hard to be clearer. Would have been better if someone else went to guard, but apparently, nobody could be bothered. :o

Well, guess what? I cap E, but shortly after one Shadow from the opposing team arrives. Lvl 27. He comes out of stealth and starts a cap. I call inc, and engage. Of course, as expected, I fight valiantly but die. Nobody comes to help, the Shadow caps before I manage to return from respawn. :eek:

I won't quote what one guy from my team told me in Ops, but let's just say it was quite unpolite. And he also told me to stop queuing, because he can't carry a team of 7 noobs on his own. Lovely. :rolleyes:

On my team's defence, after that event 4 others came NE trying to help me recap, but without success.

Apparently, the other team was stealth heavy, so hard to foresee where they were. :(

We lost it, of course. But in the end, I had the satisfaction to see that guy - a Sorc DPS at lvl 28, btw - deal less dmg than me. A DPS Assassin at lvl 12... Oh, and he actually died more times. ;)

Still, the fact he kept ranting at me for 3 more WZs after that via whispers made me add him to my Ignore on all my characters. Would be lovely to have Ignore Legacy wide, but, oh well... :o

Sorry if this doesn't sound that funny, but I felt the need to vent a little and, after all, I guess seeing the guy that acts all pro play badly is somewhat fun... :p

Edited by Cox_The_Beast

Seriously? Ignore is the right place for him!

Well, guess what! I played classic Huttball as my last L59 zone, we've lost 5:1, but guess who scored that one? :p I got the ball passed to me off the mid, put HtL on, and went through every damn fire trap, got stunned right by the end zone, said: "No you can't take this away from me!", blew the stun-breaker and walked into it. Lots of folks scored higher on that match, I did not even get an MVP, but I was so damn happy. :) i did not even notice I got L60, only when I was back in the Stronghold, and the guild members were typing congrats.

Now, I am doing the arithmetic, trying to get the most equipment I have between the Mara's comms and the trooper's comms. Fingers crossed I have all 14 pieces either Obroan or Exhumed and 1 Dark Reaver with a quick second Reaver.

EDIT: Yep, got it, but blew comms needlessly on the Mara. Apparently the armoring piece is bound to well, the piece. Ah, well. The main thing - 2018 expertise! Oh, yeah! Big girl's panties on!

Edited by DomiSotto

EDIT: Yep, got it, but blew comms needlessly on the Mara. Apparently the armoring piece is bound to well, the piece. Ah, well. The main thing - 2018 expertise! Oh, yeah! Big girl's panties on!

If you throw that armoring into a piece of legacy gear you can give it to the toon you meant for it to go to.

Check out Dulfy's reputation guides for legacy armor that looks good to you and how to get it.

Edited by AxeDragoneth

Congrats on the score and lvl 60, Domi. :)

Indeed, when you get to score on Huttball, be it the original one or Quesh, it's satisfying. And regarding MVPs, don't mind them. One thing I noticed is that you only get MVPs if you score hight numbers, or at least that's the standard, in my experience. Like that time I saw a PT score 4 times on Huttball but of course not doing great dmg, and he only got my MVP. :rolleyes:

Votes tend to go on Healers, if only for hte fact you see their name shine green when they heal you... :p

At any rate, keep up the good work. :D

If you throw that armoring into a piece of legacy gear you can give it to the toon you meant for it to go to.

Check out Dulfy's reputation guides for legacy armor that looks good to you and how to get it.

I know, all my L60's are regearing into Legacy suits just in case I might potentially need one (and I have 4 stock 172 Legacy suits). The problem was Tageren was missing Boots, Belt and Wrists from Obroan set, so that's what he got, and the Boots had the best stats, so I've got the boots again on Mara. Oh, well, live and learn :) I sent the mod and Enhancement to Tag to save on the pulls on the other bit of gear, and I am going to shuttle the boots with the lonely armoring bit to my L27 Powertech just in case and store Obroan MH bits on her as well.

@Cox:

TY. On Harbinger a lot of people sort by objectives, I notice, because I see the objective winners upvoted a lot. Not QQ'ing, I guess I just wish someone else have noticed!

And, an Assassin! Now I am going to have to be scared of you! :p