Base Item Stats vs Item lvl

Sqwuirll

I've gotten my character up to the mid 20's and have been curious with how/if the base stats of purple and blue items are effected at all. I have found 4 different lightsabers and unequipped all the mods on them to find they all have the same base stats. So my question is, when you find a better weapon, are you really only finding a better modified armor/weapon or do they actually get better along with having good mods? Additionally, does it weaken the original weapon if I remove a mod and put it back in (ie: Take out all the mods and put the same ones in or equivalent level)? I've noticed a purple or blue item originally has turned orange. Any insight would be much appreciated. So far I've identified my initial light saber (lvl 10) has the same base stats as a lvl 19 and two other lvls in between once all the mods are removed. Edited by Sqwuirll

There is no difference between orange items except appearance. The level of them is determined by the armor/hilt/barrel you put into it and the other stats are determined by the mods you put in.

Blue and purple items have a set level because the armor/hilt/barrel is built into the item.

Basically, orange items exist so you can keep a look that you like.