Other Force Sensitive Groups

Ventessel

I know that there are many force traditions aside from the Jedi and Sith, but how does the Republic handle those?

I've dabbled in the JK storyline and know that Tython is the ancient Force world where the Jedi got started, and throughout TCW there are a few alternate force traditions that are encountered (Witches of Dathomir, etc.) but how does the Jedi Order/the Republic handle them?

For example, the Jedi actively recruit children into their order... but what if another group were to attempt the same? Or accept students of any age? Have there been instances of this occurring?

Interesting question!

Well, unlike the sith, the jedi don't force recruitment (old republic) or slaughter force users to retain power to a select few (post old republic).

The EU had groups of force users that the jedi either fought with if they appeared a threat, or allied with, if they shared a common goal (ie Imperial Knights), and while the EU no longer exists as cannon, but rather as myth, I think something similar can be assumed. It's probably case by case, although they'd likely think themselves to be the true path.

On the other hand, if the Mandalorian wars and Revan/meetra Surik's part in them is affirmed as canon, the jedi can also let a big chunk of the galaxy be destroyed and millions die while they think about whether intervention is the best idea.

Then there's the fact that the jedi have changed greatly over time. The Je'daii were different than the jedi of Ossus who were different from the jedi before the mandalorian wars who were different from the current old republic jedi who were different from Luke Skywalker's jedi. So it's pretty open to change depending on who you're talking about.

We've also seen jedi acting independently and without the approval of the council, so that could happen, too. I think it depends on the time period, the circumstances, the jedi involved and the force user/users in question.

Edited by errant_knight