Idea: Rapid-Fire Laser Cannons as noobcannons ?

Loc_n_lol

I think we need a weapon specificall tailored to new players, or not-new players with less-than-stellar aim.

You know, those types that finish the match with 2k damage done or less and that you really don't want to have on your team.

That could be rapids, since it's the default weapon on both starter ships, and one that is generally considered subpar in every way.

So, I would suggest increasing the targetting reticle size greatly. And to balance it out, they would have a lower damage output than the rest of the weapons. Well, that second part is already taken care of by default.

Thoughts ... ?

Personally, I think no weapon deserve to be universally weak, for any reason.

To me, not even the low consumption can be a valid reason.

The intent is nice, but I think that giving this weapon a bigger reticule is not the right way for three reasons :

1. While it would allow new pilots to be able to hit more consistantly, it still forces them to change weapons when they reach the point where their aim becomes steady and accurate. It still creates an unnecessary requisition sink, not created by preferences, but by the need of performance.

2. Some people will like RfLC for that reason... And they won't even try to be better at aiming and firing, and their performance will be capped very early.

3. Rocket Pods. They're the Novadive/Balckbolt default secondary weapon at the same time that RfLC are default for cannons. Both use the same aiming reticule. How to explain that the Pods won't use the big reticule of RfLC ?

would suggest increasing the targetting reticle size greatly. And to balance it out, they would have a lower damage output than the rest of the weapons. Well, that second part is already taken care of by default.

Thoughts ... ?

Actually, the whole thing describes rapids pretty well. They already have the largest reticle of any of the lasers, fire the fastest, and have decent accuracy at almost any angle. slap a frequency capacitor on them, upgrade the RFL to tier 3, and all of a sudden you have 933 dps at close range, with the ability to fire almost sideways. Also try slapping on a crew member with the 9% accuracy buff or the +2% angle of attack, maybe TT on a scout or a CF companion, and these things can hurt. Yea, they still only hit for the high 200s, but they hit 3 or 4 times in the same amount of time a quad will only hit 1-2 times. the damage starts to even out.