New Group Finder: So close and yet so far.....

So the new group finder came out and turned out to be a disappointment. If you're bolstering everyone up to play the ops then clearly the consensus is that it's more about the story (which is correct). If this is the case tho why can't 55+ run the EV, KP etc for level 50-54? plus if it's going to be a story mode then it should be 16 man. If it's going to be 8 man they should at least be HM or the comms should be altered....just my thoughts

They had it set to 16 man originally, but discovered it caused to many problems. It causing people to DC on a consistent basis, mess with loading screens, and even Logging into game. These problems forced them to go back to 8 man for the GF queu's

That, plus a loud whining that 16-man was a bad thing.

Perhaps you have me on ignore, since you no longer respond to my rebuttals when you make statements like this.

But just in case, I'll give it another try.

Was there actually a lot of whining about 16-man being a bad thing? If so, I didn't really notice it, and I certainly spend more time in the forums than I probably should. I remember seeing posts complaining about the PvE bolster, but hardly anything complaining about 16-man. This makes me think you're exaggerating.

And from a logical perspective, 16-man makes sense. First of all, 16-man doesn't require twice the healers and tanks, it requires more dps. Which more closely matches the ratio of dps to tanks/heals in the game itself. More people would be able to get a group. Second of all (for story mode), 16-man is more forgiving of mistakes than 8-man. Which hopefully would translate into the group more likely to make it to the end.

Lastly, your statement seems to imply that Bioware would have listened to this supposed whining and for that reason reduced it from 16-man down to 8. This, I find a trifle absurd.

Are you willing to debate your position on this subject? Or will you continue to pop into threads and made snide comments about elitists, then run away?

Edited by Khevar

First of all, 16-man doesn't require twice the tanks, it requires more dps.

I fixed that for you.

16m Ops generally do take twice the number of Healers (4) as 8m. The only difference between 8m and 16m is marginal: instead of double the tanks, you take 2 more DPS.

8m

Tanks: 25%

DPS: 50%

Healers: 25%

16m

Tanks: 12.5%

DPS: 62.5%

Healers: 25%

----

Most of the time I tried to PUG 16m Ops in the past, the limiting factor has been trying to get Healers, not tanks. Given that my experience also is that Healers have a similar rarity as tanks, those numbers would bear out why.

I fixed that for you.

16m Ops generally do take twice the number of Healers (4) as 8m. The only difference between 8m and 16m is marginal: instead of double the tanks, you take 2 more DPS.

Thanks.

One question, though. I never got a chance to try the 16-man group finder before it was downgraded back to 8.

Do you know if the group finder required 4 healers?

Was there actually a lot of whining about 16-man being a bad thing?

There was some "whine" that putting 16-man in the group finder made 8-man absolutely worthless, since the disparity in rewards was gigantic.

So it's not that 16-man is bad, it's just that there are good reasons to prefer 8-man, but Bioware goes out of their way to make sure nobody truely wants to play it.

Do you know if the group finder required 4 healers?

It did. I did S&V 16SM through the group finder on two characters.

Edited by Loc_n_lol

There was some "whine" that putting 16-man in the group finder made 8-man absolutely worthless, since the disparity in rewards was gigantic.

So it's not that 16-man is bad, it's just that there are good reasons to prefer 8-man, but Bioware goes out of their way to make sure nobody truely wants to play it.

And honestly I agree with the change back to 8-man queues. This leaves two choices for raiders, each with their advantages:

1) Walk into whatever operation you wish in 16-man mode, get elite and ultimate commendationss from each boss; you don't have to complete the operation to get extra ultimates (separate from weekly reward and 1-time quests). The more bosses you can down successfully, the more ultimates you get. Even if you don't get to the weekly, you can still get some ultimates in your pocket.

2) Queue up for the 8-man operation of the day. This is most commonly done in premade groups, with queue being used to fill a couple spots or find replacements mid-raid. You only get elite commendations from the bosses, but upon full completion of the operation, you get 30 ultimates in addition to the weekly (which is more than you get from any of the 16 mans).

In hindsight, the one advantage of the 16-man queue was that it suddenly discouraged the whole "weekly warrior" problem, where raid members would bail after the weekly and make it more difficult for players to complete one-time quests. But I think it's fine the way it is now... there is an easy way to get ultimate comms as you progress through a 16-man, but also an even bigger reward for sticking it out to the end in 8-man.

Personally, I'm enjoying being able to do 8-man pug ops regularly again... they run much smoother and it's easier to micro-manage if people don't understand what to do. Many players in 16-man ops seem to think they don't have to understand fight mechanics and contribute to the group, they just expect to get carried.

Another thing about 16-man queues: replacements. People leave much more frequently in a 16-man group, which should come as no surprise to anyone. Now, I'm sure a lot of you have gotten frustrated with seeing "You cannot invite players to a groupfinder formed group." Therefore, trying to fill all of those spots via queue would be a huge pain, yea? Another reason not to do a 16-man queue, instead players can join in at their own convenience if a spot needs to be filled.

Edited by spatnatz

With the ease of getting the 180 gear now with ult comms ( regardless of the elitests trying to justify lower tier gear with set bonus is better - if you are pulling the mod/arm/enhances/hilts you need then it's not imo ) I'm finding less need for 4 healers in any 16M story mode.

We pretty much face rolled DF with 3 healers and 2 tanks and that was minus the extra dps the 4th healer spot could have taken ( so 15m ) to the point it seemed that even 2 healers and 2 extra dps could have done the trick ( aslong as the tanks are staying alive and people follow mechanics more or less ).

That was a pug group too. No doubt HM+ 4 healers are needed but not SM I feel.

• 4 months later...
This new GF is utterly disappointing. The wait times, especially for DPS, are absolutely ridiculous. To top it all off, most people are pre-making the groups anyways, then que'ing. I don't know what it's like on other servers but on Jedi Covenant, I've seen 4, even, 5 separate groups looking for 1 or 2 of each class for close to an hour before they finally get enough together for a run.

roll tank, problem fixed

Doesn't help. They're not the limiting factor anymore. It just needs too many people and you may find yourself short of just about anything. Typically healers but not always.

Anyway, the point is, people went right back to making groups on the fleet, they are not using the group finder to find groups. This only seems to work for flashpoints.

In a way i can understand pre-forming groups, you get at least an idea of the player joining up front. Via group finder just queueing you might end up with a group full of 146 geared players (or even less now with the 12x xp), and believe me, even with bolster you don't want that.

On Red Eclipse there's tons of groups forming like that, though most of them always have issues with getting tanks, seems on RE there is a bit of a tank shortage