The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Trouble Holding Threat

So, I'll state right off the bat that my vanguard is only lvl 23 as of this writing. Still, I feel like I'm having trouble holding threat. Jorgan was one thing, but even Elara grabs mobs faster than I do! I know I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is.

To get the obvious out of the way, yes, I'm in tank spec, and yes, I'm using ion cell. I've also been attacking first. My gear isn't great, but it's not horrid either. I'd provide more info, but I'm not sure what you need. Just ask, and I'll try to get it for you.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to improve? I don't have these problems on my Sin. Is sin threat generation just that much better? Am I still waiting on a crucial ability that will make everything better?

Thank you for your help

Edited by Mirdthestrill

Hum.. is Elara grabbing aggro from you on single targets ? That sounds impossible... and even on groups one or two explosive surges should lock everything onto you for a while...

I dont know, I dont think it could possibly be a gear problem, must be doing something wrong... a video of any fight would help, or just describe your actions and what happens with words...

Edited by Loc_n_lol

He is lvl 23... So no Explosive Surge yet ;) Lvl up and get ES... then just open with 1 or 2 of those to lock the threat on you until you actually kill everything... use Ion Pulse on cooldown. Open with Mortar Volley if the pull is srong enough.

Explosive surge is lvl 24 req. Open with mortar volley, or run up to mobs and snag em with pulse cannon. Once you hit level 24, you can get explosive surge. at 25, pick up the talent to make HiB proc an aoe explosion. It deals weak damage, but is still aoe, and therefor will generate more group threat. At 30, you can get storm, and then by level 32, you should have both levels of the talent that provides 2 free explosive surges after storm. And you'll want to get the talents that give attacks a chance to proc a free and faster pulse cannon. Ideally, you'd then open with storm, use harpoon to pull farthest mob to you if needed, then try and get them all with pulse cannon, then double surges, then by then either 2nd pulse cannon will have proc'd, which you can use again, or your ion cell will have its dot (talented) triggered on mob you're targeting, which will allow you to use HiB for its small aoe. And if you need to, throw in aoe taunt at level 30+. Make sure in your low levels though, that you pick up the dot proc for ion cannon. It doesn't do much damage, but it generates extra threat. And can be applied to a group if proc'd on aoe.

Thank you for the help, everyone! I hit 24 late last night, so we'll see how it goes today.

In answer to at least one other poster, no, Elara isn't grabbing threat on single targets, but when there's multiple enemies, they always go back to her very quickly after I stop hitting them directly. I've turned off all her attacks that I can, since she's supposed to be healing me anyway, but she can still use her basic shot.

Since you are doing the obvious things (ion cell, waiting until after some dmg to taunt), I would advise making sure your two biggest gear pieces are up to date. Even as a tank, your barrel (or full rifle) rating, and your shield generator rating are very important for threat.

If you are using an orange (custom) rifle, be sure you have a barrel up to your level, blue or better. This increases your threat more than anything else.

Since a lot of your moves are tech based, you also want to increase the tech rating in your shield generator. If you have a custom shield generator, make sure the armoring in it is up to your level, blue or better.

The barrel will increase your normal damage by a LOT, and both the barrel and armoring will increase your tech damage. This all turns into threat.

If you are not using custom gear (with component slots), be sure to get a good full rifle of the correct level, blue or better. Shield generators of this type are harder to find, but worth finding if you are having trouble with threat.