Kaggath Battlegrounds

Also, let's not forget that if the faction controlling that ship could come up with some kind of protection, the ship could entirely wipe out whichever planet is the battleground, seeing as the crashing of the LOT ended up settting fires that tore Ithor apart.

Always makes me sad. I like Ithorians. :(

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficulty with that is being the fact they are not gun emplacements but infact they are growths which are scaled to the size of the ship, there is literally no difference but size.

In essence if you make the 'cannons' smaller you make the ship smaller.

But a smaller ship would be less powerful correct?

Orbital bombardment is not allowed, for reasons such as this.

Would be more like a suicide run, but meh.

Not sure if I like or dislike this rule, but as long as that Behemouth is in the Kaggath I'm happy it's here :p

Would be more like a suicide run, but meh.

Not sure if I like or dislike this rule, but as long as that Behemouth is in the Kaggath I'm happy it's here :p

Well given that we have this rule:

#75 The outcome of the space battle will be determined by the Arbiter mid-battle so that its impact can be felt in regards to the primary battle on the ground. The winning faction will take space superiority and so be able to cut off the enemy from resupply etc.

And just in general, orbital bombardment would render the ground battle practically meaningless.

Also note bombing runs are not allowed either.

Edited by Beniboybling

Well given that we have this rule:

#75 The outcome of the space battle will be determined by the Arbiter mid-battle so that its impact can be felt in regards to the primary battle on the ground. The winning faction will take space superiority and so be able to cut off the enemy from resupply etc.

And just in general, orbital bombardment would render the ground battle practically meaningless.

Also note bombing runs are not allowed either.

Interesting.

I feel MUCH more comfortable about my choices then.

OK I see, that seems the best course of action.

Not really, it'd have even worse firing angles, more weak spots, it'd be a horrendously vulnerable ship and a pitiful excuse for a flagship.

To be honest, it's best we simply disallow the vong ships.

Not really, it'd have even worse firing angles, more weak spots, it'd be a horrendously vulnerable ship and a pitiful excuse for a flagship.

I have to agree.

So one minute its the Harbinger of Doom and now its a pitiful excuse for a flagship?

Admittedly its shape doesn't bode well for frontal assaults but its purpose seems to me to hang at the back and act as a hub if you will - despite that like any space station is protected from all angles, it can capture enemy vessels and it provides a ton of fighter support and boarding craft. Again its not standard, but it certainly has unique uses.

Disallowing Vong ships is a bold move which will require substantial reasoning.

The LoT and Worldships are the roflstompers, they fire superheated large asteroids and objects at you... however I see no issue with the smaller YV ships being used and honestly the LoT isn't the best choice for a Vong flagship anyhow.

Are they OP? Honestly by knowledge of the Vong is 0.

Yes.

The Vong ships in general slaughtered the ships of the normal Galactic powers, only ones who made it through with relative ease were the Mon Cala and even that was a push.

Most vong ships never fell in an open battle, it was extreme tactical ingenuity or flat out battle strategy that saved the commanders.

Miiid Ro'iks, the standard ships that were basically ISD's, could feed off dieing vessels and use them as a huge power boost or to patch their own hulls.

Hell, there was a creature inside every Miiid Ro'ik that SWALLOWED SHIPS AND PERSONNEL.

Edit: Also, don't let me forget that each and every Vong version of a starfighter could create mini black holes that worked as shields, and disrupted enemy shields on any vessels in close proximity, that drew entire missiles and blasters into a singularity and negated them

Edited by Selenial

Yes.

The Vong ships in general slaughtered the ships of the normal Galactic powers, only ones who made it through with relative ease were the Mon Cala and even that was a push.

Most vong ships never fell in an open battle, it was extreme tactical ingenuity or flat out battle strategy that saved the commanders.

Miiid Ro'iks, the standard ships that were basically ISD's, could feed off dieing vessels and use them as a huge power boost or to patch their own hulls.

Hell, there was a creature inside every Miiid Ro'ik that SWALLOWED SHIPS AND PERSONNEL.

Edit: Also, don't let me forget that each and every Vong version of a starfighter could create mini black holes that worked as shields, and disrupted enemy shields on any vessels in close proximity, that drew entire missiles and blasters into a singularity and negated them

Beginning to remember why Vong got banned back in the old days...

Yes.

And yet, despite these tremendous advantages, the galactic natives did find ways to mitigate those threats and eventually defeat the Vong. In open combat, they're very very strong. However, they do have many limiting philosophies and cultural quirks which make them less than perfectly efficient slaughter machines.

I'm not going to get too involved in this Kaggath (time constraints, mainly) but I would like to chime in and speak out against disallowing a whole faction's warships just because they're really good. I think that eliminating them would reduce the variety of the factions, and make for a less interesting fight.

And yet, despite these tremendous advantages, the galactic natives did find ways to mitigate those threats and eventually defeat the Vong. In open combat, they're very very strong. However, they do have many limiting philosophies and cultural quirks which make them less than perfectly efficient slaughter machines.

I'm not going to get too involved in this Kaggath (time constraints, mainly) but I would like to chime in and speak out against disallowing a whole faction's warships just because they're really good. I think that eliminating them would reduce the variety of the factions, and make for a less interesting fight.

They lost because of a collection of about 50 people, that's it.

And this is the thing. This battleground Kaggath that Warren and Beni thought up is all about open battle, in a Normal Kaggath perhaps the Vong Ships could be defeated, but in this, where there's basically one straight up battle? Should not be allowed, or should be at a numerical disadvantage.

Yes.

So yeah, pretty OP.

Or just dang good.

Something deep inside me recoils at the idea of disallowing a competitor because they are just better than everyone else. Call me overly egalitarian.

Well, we're already doing it with Palpatine, Yoda, Cadeus, Marek, Thrawn etc.

Why stop at people?

Sounds like you just need an "elite league" and a "weaklings who didn't make the first round draft" league.

An elite league of 6 force users, sounds fun.

At least with the lesser strengthed force users there's massive levels of variety.

At least with the lesser strengthed force users there's massive levels of variety.

that would allow us to make what? 2 factions? maybe

The point of this is a fun thing to bring attention to lesser known people instead of always talking about the big guys all the time. Its not about making the most powerful thing eva its about getting creative and using some of your favorite people and equipment together.

Maybe move the champions from the standard league into the elite league?

It pays to be a winner.