Warzone fps - nvidia - radeon

OwenBrooks

Just looking at an observation in regards to FPS within Warzones, seems same hardware but if system has a Radeon, FPS is higher , same system but use a NVidia it drops.

Just wanting to gather info if there is any substance to this at all.

So if can get feedback from those that do warzones and what FPS they get and what video card they use would be great.

Seems even asking for FPS people get in warzones is like pulling teeth, need to start somewhere, you are right CPU and GPU at minimum will provide me enough info though as to realm of expected performance.

Mainly looking at those that don't have issues outside of warzones but do in them.

I could dig for all the older posts about those that only got 20fps no matter what , but would rather get current aspects of what people are seeing and what system they are using.

Trying to look for commonality if one exists

I switched from R9 290 to msi 780 gtx ti. From extremely fluid fps and being able to record it went to like less than 20 fps with more than 10 people on screen fighting and turning on Razer Gamebooster recorder makes it barely playable.

I don't know what the story is.

owen, you are aware of my specs at this stage :p

Z87-GD65 GAMING mobo

msi gtx 780 ti (bad fps) / Sapphire Radeon r9 290 tri-x o/c (good fps, i think, but amd-related glitches like fuzzy icons or missing lightning and 2d effects)

With Radeon on Tython my fps was super high and and often glowing green (as in it reached its limits and only cpu limits it) It's not the case with MSI's gtx

i7 4770k haswell

860w power supply

Outside of warzones, while not as high as I would expect, FPS rarely goes below (but I don't want to think what world pvp is gonna be like) 30 fps.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Hmm, while I can't say my FPS in warzones as I don't usually pay attention to them (though I have lately, as I wanted to see how well I did on the new Ultra settings, and overall I'm loving it), I can say that with my Nvidia 540M I have no problems that I've noticed, running on full Ultra settings 1920x1080 resolution. Next time I play I'll try to remember to turn on my FPS and have a look at it, but as I said, I don't notice any significant drop in FPS just from gameplay.

switched back to radeon - moment of truth lol

edit. uhm ffs. it feels teh same but could be 10 fps better.

what is it now, then?

red for gpu or cpu? 'cuz everyone seems to say different things. Should i overclock my processor?

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

I switched from R9 290 to msi 780 gtx ti. From extremely fluid fps and being able to record it went to like less than 20 fps with more than 10 people on screen fighting and turning on Razer Gamebooster recorder makes it barely playable.

That's odd.

I have a 2600K @ 4.5GHz and a GTX 770 and I get 59fps (soft-limit at 60fps) in most worlds and 40-60fps in Warzones and Ops depending on the location and situation. I believe that the second (third?) boss fight in DF dropped the frame rate to 35fps. In Warzones, I think I average about 50fps during combat. However, I do have extra AA and transparency AA enabled via driver profiles. That kinda puts me out of standard configuration. Its more AA work than SWTOR calls for, but the driver profile seems to use more efficient AA than the game does.

I'm running with the following spec:

i5 3570k @ 3.4 Ghz

8GB RAM

128 GB SSD HD

GTX 670 (overclocked edition)

When running around alone questing I get around 50+ FPS. Doing content with more then 3-4 players it drops drastically to 20-30 and even dips even lower in Warzones.

I've done all the tweaks I can find including Windows XP mode, turning off Ambient Oclusion with nVidia Inspect and running Game Boost in gaming mode (turns off services I dont need). I wish that the FPS was a bit more stable since its really annoying running around with 60+ FPS and then it drops because I enter combat.

i5 4760

16gb ram @1333

swtor on ssd

gtx 770 AMP edition in SLI

windows 7

max fps ive hit in a warzone is about 29, quesh huttball maxes at 20

ive tried everything i could from multiple threads, help guides to fix fps etc, with no luck whatsoever

I use swtor unleashed, turn off shadows and anti aliasing in warzones and I have good playable 40 fps with my HD 6870. It just looks like WoW.

Hey Owen, MSI just released a new version of their Afterburner utility. It now has many more monitoring options that can be displayed in the overlay. Do you think monitoring:

GPU: temp, utilisation, clock speed, fan tachometer, memory usage

CPU: Temp (by each core)

CPU: Usage (by each core)

would give a better idea of what's happening?

-------

And just another thing that I have observed. I use a Asrock Z87E-ITX. It comes with utility called A-Tuning. When I switch it to "Performance" mode instead of "Standard", my FPS in 8-man operations is a lot smoother.

Hey Owen,

im running SWTOR on the following system:

i5 3570k @ 3.4 Ghz

8GB RAM

128 GB SSD HD

Radeon 7970HD GHZ Edition

Windows 8.1 64BIT

After a clean Windows 8.1 installation and after applying all of your suggested "tweaks" (older directx from june 2010 etc.) SWTOR runs GREAT! I get constant 60FPS in the open world without any stuttering or FPS drops. The FPS iss locked at 60FPS due to having VSYNC on and it does run soo smooth now.

The only FPS drop ill get are on the fleet, when there are like 15-20 people on the screen. But it doesn drop below 40-45 FPS.

In Warzones ill get FPS anywhere between 40-60 FPS.

So whenever my FPS drops, there are fights going on. So it has something to do with those fighting animations or spell effects which causes the fps to drop. If that happens, my fps starts to drop and getting RED or it stays at 60FPS, but i will get stuttering and while that happens, the fps indicator iss flickering between green and red.

Dont know what red FPS are for...couldnt be an indicator of a less powerfull graphicscard, because a radeon 7970HD GHZ edition should be enough for SWTOR...really...

Songan

PS: Sorry for my english :) (im from germany)

Hey Songan,

I experience much the same as you , have a I7 3930K with a GTX670, max I get 111fps without vsynch and lowest is around 45fps in certain parts of Makeb for instance.

Only thing I have done is set a XMP profile on the RAM, otherwise everything else is at defaults

Hey Owen, MSI just released a new version of their Afterburner utility. It now has many more monitoring options that can be displayed in the overlay. Do you think monitoring:

would give a better idea of what's happening?

This is good if looking for an overheat issue, but best is probably if others post what settings they find improvement with, saw posts from a few years back that suggested this low fps was tied to Nvidia, then when a few recent posts seemed to support this, was worthwhile checking if any substance could be gleened to this, if something identifiable can be proven it makes it easier to find a solution.

if something identifiable can be proven it makes it easier to find a solution.

Ok here's a starting point. I switched the Afterburner monitoring overlay on for an Ancient Hypergates that I did and recorded it to check how my FPS was holding up. I haven't PVPed in a very long time and am in PVE gear. Unfortunately, I click too. Here's the video: http://youtu.be/N8S7ZNysnqk

System Specs: i7-4770, MSI GTX760 2GB OC (337.88 WHQL driver) , 16GB RAM, SSD

NVIDIA Inspector Settings: 0x000012C1 AA Compatibility, Overide AA Mode, 4x Multisampling AA, 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling AA, User-defined AF Mode, 16x AF, AF Filter and Sample Optimisation Off, High Quality Texture Filtering, AO Disabled, 58 FPS frame limit (yep they fixed it in 337.88), 8 Max Pre-Rendered Frames, Single display performance mode, Prefer maximum performance Power Management, Vertical Sync Force Off

SWTOR Settings: Fullscreen Windowed, 60 Hz Refresh Rate, High Texture Quality, High Shader Complexity, AA Off, High Character Detail, AF Texture Anisotropy, High Character Texture Atlasing, Medium Visible Character Limit, High Shadow Quality, 20 Tree Quality, 20 Grass Quality, No Bloom, No Conversation Depth of Field.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.