Question about security key

TheOwnerest

Just how many codes does it have on it? Will it ever run out? Will the battery run out? Would I have to buy a new security key if it does run out?

There is an unlimited amount of randomized codes, the battery seems to last a pretty long time, I have had one for about 5 years from another game, still works. Pretty sure the battery is replaceable, just need to figure out how to open it without breaking it :p

You can also get a FREE app for the swtor security key for your smart phone / tablet. That is what I currently use, still grants the vendor in game, and 100 CC a month.

Edited by Hoshkar

Well how does the personal security key (I.e. collectors edition) How does that thing have unlimited codes? Because they aren't re-usable. How does it not accidentally re-use the same code

Not sure how many numbers the physical key can generate, but the app has 8. that is 00000000 - 99999999. Unless you use the thing 1.5 million something times there is a good chance you wont get the same code again. If you do the old code has already expired. Soon as the old code expires there is a chance it can show up again, but the chances are pretty good you will never see that happen. If you do, because of how they work, it wouldn't matter much anyway.

Soon as you push the little button, the code shows up, that is your valid code, after a sec amount of time, that code then expires, and a new set of numbers will show up after you push the button again. If you really get bored and want to test it, feel free to. I doubt you will come across the same random numbers for quite a long long time :p

Well how does the personal security key (I.e. collectors edition) How does that thing have unlimited codes? Because they aren't re-usable. How does it not accidentally re-use the same code

Actually, they are re-usable.

When you press the button, some algorithm runs based on the number of seconds / milliseconds since a certain time and the serial number for the key. The answer to that algorithm is displayed on the screen. You enter the number into the login. The login uses a reverse algorithm to get the number of seconds / milliseconds since a certain time based on the serial number for the key and the number you typed in. If the time since a certain time is within a certain variance of the actual time since a certain time, the key passes and you are let in.

This algorithm has the chance to produce the same key for two different number of seconds / milliseconds. However, with 10^8 (100 million) possibilities, it is likely not to get the same number twice a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
Because with 8 digits the combination is infinite.

Not entirely accurate. with 8 digits there 's 100 million possible combination. even if you refreshed the code every second 24/7 it would take 3.17 years to go through them all.