The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

CM - Companion Armor Sets - (themed / unique)

Hey there, wanted to pop in and put a suggestion to you (an idea thats been burning in my mind for a while)

Cartel Market Gear for Companions

Why?:

I don't do any raiding, just PvP, GSF, and Daly's. Gearing up my companions can be a frustrating experience. Gear on the GTN is pricey or non-existent, gear from daily missions and non raiding content is limited (as are 55 purple drops from mobs)

This leads to my companions being generally under-geared (except for the 1 I use and possibly another)

Im sure my experience is not the only of its kind, there are probably lots of under-geared companions running around that simply never get used (since people don't want to spend the time or cash to gear them up)

The Idea:

Add companion gear sets to CM!

There could be sets of purple and orange armor(s) designed to be worn by companions. These would be generic for male and female companions (not companion specific)

Companion sets could be designed to go with existing player armor(s), or be totally unique. Offering a wide array of possible aesthetic and stat customization for companions.

Additional Notes:

This would be further beneficial to players like myself who have a hard time finding gear for all their companions. If something like this existed I would purchase it just to use my various companions if nothing else. Anyways, just an idea I thought might be cool. Take it as you will :D

(I understand there are already sets you could purchase 2 of to match with your companion. This gear typically comes with empty stat slots though which can be costly to outfit. This CM gear could be tagged (companion) and be locked into that role somehow to avoid people purchasing the gear to close their own gear gaps etc. Allowing for gear that can actually make your companion better without risking abuse by players)

Edited by DamascusAdontise

PvP GSF or Dailies can give you 156 / 162 gear at the very least, which adds up. Extra comms you just buy elite / ultimate gear, strip mods and put into companions. Which companions can wear universal orange armor, so you have the SAME options to customize a companion as you have for a player.

And I sincerely don`t see the point in having special gear for companions, when we can have it for players, which players can elect to buy a second set, another set, or unlock in collections via CCs - to gear up said companions.

Edited by Styxx

PvP GSF or Dailies can give you 156 / 162 gear at the very least, which adds up. Extra comms you just buy elite / ultimate gear, strip mods and put into companions. Which companions can wear universal orange armor, so you have the SAME options to customize a companion as you have for a player.

And I sincerely don`t see the point in having special gear for companions, when we can have it for players, which players can elect to buy a second set, another set, or unlock in collections via CCs - to gear up said companions.

Ultimate / Elite is something that I don't have access to since I refuse to do any PvE raid / op content. Had enough of that in WoW to fill a lifetime. There is still classic and basic, though basic is better used for mats you can sell and classic has very limited options for gear. Classic gear is what I use now, and in this way it takes a month or so to max out comms and outfit a companion.

This is still very limited in terms of asthetics. Green / purple gear from dalies and drops also have a tendency to have stats you don't need.

These gear sets could form themes such as a revan acolyte for the revan outfit. There could be sets of gear which "go with" another popular set of armor so that you and your companion match (but are not wearing exactly the same thing)

at any rate the current easy to obtain options for companion(able) gear are few, leading to them all looking almost exactly the same. This could be sated with just new sets of armor, but it would be cool if there was gear with stats available from CM that you could get for companions (to just skip all the daily / comms nonsense)

Perhaps not the best idea on earth, I know id pay for it tho. Especially since the usual ultimate / elite gear is not an option for me (and classic / basic have a lack of customization options)

Ultimate / Elite is something that I don't have access to since I refuse to do any PvE raid / op content. Had enough of that in WoW to fill a lifetime. There is still classic and basic, though basic is better used for mats you can sell and classic has very limited options for gear. Classic gear is what I use now, and in this way it takes a month or so to max out comms and outfit a companion.

If you do your dailies you should be completing weeklies as such which give elite and/or ultimate comms. Also you said you PVP you can easily use PVP mods for your companion as well.

Perhaps not the best idea on earth, I know id pay for it tho. Especially since the usual ultimate / elite gear is not an option for me (and classic / basic have a lack of customization options)

Dailies have weeklies which give comms. Comms buy gear.

And we are not limited to only Comms gear - there is a full section of CM armor on the GTN, most of which are quite affordable.

You lacking the money to afford said varied gear that can satisfy everybody minus the "I want old armors cos others have them and I`m having a nervous breakdown" crowd and the "I will never be happy" crowd is not a sufficient reason to add extra useless gear, I think.

Because you STILL HAVE the option to use ANY universal armor that can be used for a player to your companion - CM armors included (CM stands for Cartel Market or Adaptive Armor section on GTN).

One more thing - companions don`t benefit from set bonus, so, if you really hate questing, you can buy the gear off GTN (armorings / mods / enhancements), or use the Makeb 140 rated mods which you can buy with Planetary Comms - those you get naturally by dailies and 100 are almost enough for a full set.. almost.

Anything else is just some excuse for not being able to obtain gear, because you refuse to.

Edited by Styxx