Questions about frame rate drops....

mmmbuddah

So, I have noticed in this game, that for some reason, when I turn on nameplates, the game takes a major frame rate hit, is this normal? Because, the second I turn them off, I can have 50 people running around on screen, and no frame rate drop what so ever......

Is there some way to increase performance in this game when it comes to little things like that ,because, I mean, my system is more than capable of handling this game.

GeForce GTX 690 4GB

32GB RAM

I7-3820 3.8 GHZ

Windows 7 64bit

Any advice would be nice. :)

I've not experienced this issue. Then again, I have 16GB RAM and 4GB undedicated on my vid card. Keeping nameplates on, but hiding legacy/guild names might be an option for you.
But....I have 32gb of ram... >_> <_<

Specifications

Graphics processor Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 4GB, 915MHz

Pipeline 2 x 1,566 stream processors, 32 ROPs

Memory 4GB GDDR5, 6GHz effective

Bandwidth 2 x 192GB/sec, 256-bit interface

Compatibility DirectX 11, OpenGL 4.1

Outputs/Inputs 3 x DVI, mini DisplayPort

Power connections Two 8-pin

Size 279mm long, dual-slot

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of your vid card specs, it would seem they have 1GB dedicated to each core rather than 4gb undedicated spread over the 2 cards. If the 2GB is dedicated, rather than open and undedicated, that might cause a problem. However, without physically seeing the computer, the component brand names, and running some benchmark tests, it is tough to say why it is not responding the way it should. Also, it may be possible the card itself is faltering somehow.

Edited by Superman_AZ

Huh, because I can play ESO, and Wildstar no issues, with all the chat bubbles everywhere that that game has....Also have no problem running Crysis 2 and 3 MP on ultra, and BF 4 on Ultra :confused:....

Also, I have done Intel Benchmarking ( or whatever its called ) a few times now, and it says everything is ok. Strange.

Edited by mmmbuddah

Huh, because I can play ESO, and Wildstar no issues, with all the chat bubbles everywhere that that game has....Also have no problem running Crysis 2 and 3 MP on ultra, and BF 4 on Ultra :confused:....

Also, I have done Intel Benchmarking ( or whatever its called ) a few times now, and it says everything is ok. Strange.

This issue may not be your system then, it may just be all the layers in SWTOR and how they are implemented. Also, it maybe the population of the server you are on and the number of name tags the system is trying to keep track of. For now, it might just be more advantageous to leave the name plates off on this server, and then roll a character on a much lower pop server to see if you experience a difference with the name plates turned back on. It might just be processing latency on high pop servers. Then again, I am on Begeren Colony, and it gets extremely full on Fri/Sat evenings.

This issue may not be your system then, it may just be all the layers in SWTOR and how they are implemented. Also, it maybe the population of the server you are on and the number of name tags the system is trying to keep track of. For now, it might just be more advantageous to leave the name plates off on this server, and then roll a character on a much lower pop server to see if you experience a difference with the name plates turned back on. It might just be processing latency on high pop servers. Then again, I am on Begeren Colony, and it gets extremely full on Fri/Sat evenings.
Yeah, I just leave friendly name plates off, and enemy plates on (for PVP purposes). That is the even stranger thing, when I go into a Warzone, I can be in a cluster of 8 ppl with nameplates showing, then almost no slowdown, then I start questing, and as SOON as someone drives by with a nameplate above their head, instant frame rate drop, lol. I was wondering about this from the get go, and never bothered asking, thanks for trying to help tho =P.

Of your vid card specs, it would seem they have 1GB dedicated to each core rather than 4gb undedicated spread over the 2 cards. If the 2GB is dedicated, rather than open and undedicated, that might cause a problem. However, without physically seeing the computer, the component brand names, and running some benchmark tests, it is tough to say why it is not responding the way it should. Also, it may be possible the card itself is faltering somehow.

This gentleman is talking out of his hat. Nameplates are a well known performance issue in SWTOR and always have been.

My personal solution is to turn off friendly nameplates and leave hostile ones on. You will still get a performance hit but less than having them all on.

This gentleman is talking out of his hat. Nameplates are a well known performance issue in SWTOR and always have been.

My personal solution is to turn off friendly nameplates and leave hostile ones on. You will still get a performance hit but less than having them all on.

Yeah it just confuses me how I can have almost no performance hit in warzones near full teams (near, there is still a small one ) but have one person drive by me that is on the opposite faction and there is an even larger performance hit :/