First kill

Shadokitty

After a long time, which included weeks of no queues popping at all, I finally got my first kill. Don't recall what it was against though, as this was a couple days ago. No kills at all in a stock strike fighter, but not long after upgrading to heavy laser cannons I got a kill. Is it common to not get a kill till you start modding your ship?

I believe I got a few kills on my alt before I got any upgrades on the stock ship. That being said I had experience doing GSF on my main since early access. Also if you were using rapid fire lasers (abbreviated RFL) before switching to heavies that by itself would make a big difference as the consensus is that RFLs are among the worst (if not the worst) blasters in GSF, from what I gather it's hard for people in fully mastered ships to make RFLs effective.

Upgrades help (especially ones that either add damage to good weapons or when you can replace bad weapons like RFLs) but I think experience plays as much of a factor (and luck, you could be in a fully mastered ship and have most of your kills "stolen" in a match giving you more assists than kills). For example, if you're a raw recruit who may not have even done the training mode it's probable that you won't get kills until you start upgrading but that probably is also directly correlated with them learning how to fly (and how not to).

You also know that stock strikes (Type 1s) have access to heavy cannons by default right? (use the "1" button during a match to switch back and forth between your stock RFL and heavy cannons).

Edited by Gavin_Kelvar

I believe I got a few kills on my alt before I got any upgrades on the stock ship. That being said I had experience doing GSF on my main since early access. Also if you were using rapid fire lasers (abbreviated RFL) before switching to heavies that by itself would make a big difference as the consensus is that RFLs are among the worst (if not the worst) blasters in GSF, from what I gather it's hard for people in fully mastered ships to make RFLs effective.

Upgrades help (especially ones that either add damage to good weapons or when you can replace bad weapons like RFLs) but I think experience plays as much of a factor (and luck, you could be in a fully mastered ship and have most of your kills "stolen" in a match giving you more assists than kills). For example, if you're a raw recruit who may not have even done the training mode it's probable that you won't get kills until you start upgrading but that probably is also directly correlated with them learning how to fly (and how not to).

You also know that stock strikes (Type 1s) have access to heavy cannons by default right? (use the "1" button during a match to switch back and forth between your stock RFL and heavy cannons).

I meant quad lasers, not heavy lasers. My mistake.

I meant quad lasers, not heavy lasers. My mistake.

Ah well my comment on RFLs still stands, with regard to that weapon not getting a kill is pretty much the fault of having a weapon that is just plain bad. So upgrading to weapons like quads (or switching to heavies) would produce distinctly better results by virtue of switching to weapons that aren't UP.

It's also sometimes a case of you, as a player, discovering what does and does not work for you, growing more comfortable with that choice, and gradually becoming more skilled.

For instance, a lot of people claim that, on Gunships, Burst Laser Cannons are the superior choice. Switching to them gains people a significant advantage at super-close range. I've tried them, I've upgraded them, I just don't like them. For my Gunship, Light Laser Cannons feel better to me, and since they come standard, I really don't need to swing for the fences on that front. Over time, I've also become pretty skilled dogfighting with LLCs, and have nailed bad guys with them. Why? Aren't BLCs superior? Possibly, but I put in the effort to learn how to fight well with LLCs.

And believe me, nothing surprises the occasional overeager Strike pilot or particularly sedentary Gunship than the crazy sort of Gunny who doesn't sit at range and gets right into dogfighting range under their own power.

Thus, my advice to you, play around with components. Play around with different ships. When you feel like you're starting to find a loadout and crew set you enjoy playing, generate kills with, and feel that you are getting better by using, then start looking up guides that suggest how to maximize your potential.

Edited by QuinMantha

After a long time, which included weeks of no queues popping at all, I finally got my first kill. Don't recall what it was against though, as this was a couple days ago. No kills at all in a stock strike fighter, but not long after upgrading to heavy laser cannons I got a kill. Is it common to not get a kill till you start modding your ship?

The first kill is always the toughest. They'll start coming more and more frequently now.

Congrats!