The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Upcoming books!!

Varium

Is the Tarkin book any good? I bought a bit too much crap from the EU lately... the millenium falcon book, for instance. Terrible, terrible stuff, at least in the German translation.

I actually didn't read Millennium Falcon so I don't know about that, but the Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series are great.

Kemp, Luceno, Miller... Good stuff, good people. Not a fan of the cover art, except the one for Tarkin.

I'm thinking (or at least hoping) those are just the solicitation covers - I'd be okay with the Heir cover except looking closer at Luke it honestly looks like he's wearing some sort of cowboy outfit without the hat [insert Skywalker Ranch pun here].

The Lords cover is just way too... busy. But yeah the Tarkin one is fine, just nothing special.

I'm still waiting for the sequel to the Fate of the Jedi series. Been way too long.

Since Fate of the Jedi is now a "Legends" title under the new Canon reboot, we won't be seeing any continuations of that story anytime soon (realistically probably not ever - although I still can hope :p).

Edited by DarthDymond

I want to see what Heir turns out to be I will be buying and reading that when it comes out

I hope that in the new continuity Han and Leia still get married, I mean, the Scoundrel and the Princess, its just so classic that is just has to continue and live happily ever after!!

Edited by Sangrar

I'm still waiting for the sequel to the Fate of the Jedi series. Been way too long.

Not going to happen. They aren't going to produce new "legends" books in that direction as the fans for the most part would no longer be interested in characters that now "don't exist". I figure any legends books from here on out would be old republic or clone wars era.

Edited by annabethchase

I'm glad I skipped the 3 recent HARDCOVER classic era novels about Han, Leia & Luke. I get the overall reasons for changing the EU, but how could they be putting out expensive hardcovers right now that are non-cannon? They had to know this was the likely outcome but they still allowed those to go out.

I'm glad I skipped the 3 recent HARDCOVER classic era novels about Han, Leia & Luke. I get the overall reasons for changing the EU, but how could they be putting out expensive hardcovers right now that are non-cannon? They had to know this was the likely outcome but they still allowed those to go out.

That series (Empire and Rebellion) is actually kind of a weird case, because Heir to the Jedi which is coming out next year as part of the new Canon was the "Luke" novel from that same series.

Per Jennifer Heddle's Twitter Q&A yesterday, the first two books, Razor's Edge (Leia's book) and Honor Among Thieves (Han's book) should still be considered Legends, but Luke's book is going to be Canon.

I honestly find it kinda amusing how people act like fiction suddenly loses its value, just because it isn't part of the "main canon" anymore oô

If the books are good, what stops anyone from enjoying them, just because some corporate person somewhere says "THATS NOT PART OF THE CANON!"? Why do those hardcovers suddenly lose their value now?

/edit: And why do I suddenly lose my ability to write coherent english?!

Edited by Wylf

I honestly find it kinda amusing how people act like fiction suddenly loses its value, just because it isn't part of the "main canon" anymore oô

If the books are good, what stops anyone from enjoying them, just because some corporate person somewhere says "THATS NOT PART OF THE CANON!"? Why do those hardcovers suddenly lose their value now?

/edit: And why do I suddenly lose my ability to write coherent english?!

I don't personally feel that the Legends change has taken away all value of any of those works, but I don't blame a person for feeling that some value has been diminished by considering them non-canon.

One of the great things about Heir to the Empire is how the characters it introduced, like Mara Jade and Pellaeon, were able to grow and develop over literally decades of novels, games, and comics. That development worked because each time a new novel like Rebirth or Revelation came out, it treated the novels that had come before as canon.

Knowing that Scarlet Hark, from Honor Among Thieves, may be a completely different character or may be treated as having never existed by future books does take away some of the unique value that a shared, expansive universe brings to a brand of fiction.

It doesn't mean that reading that book can't still be an enjoyable experience, but some people may reasonably consider it less so than it would have been if they knew the story within it was likely to continue on indefinitely.

Edited by DarthDymond

Thing is, the way they implemented the Legends system just means that there are now two universes, no? In theory (and since there's a chance that this will make money most likely in practice as well, although it is too early to judge at this point) this will just mean that in the future you'll be able to buy "Star Wars" books based on the movie and series canon and "Star Wars Legends" books, which are essentially the expanded universe.

Just because they won't use the expanded universe as official canon for their Movies (but, as they said, still consider it a resource to draw from) doesn't mean that it is dead. They just rebranded it under a new name.

Edited by Wylf

Thing is, the way they implemented the Legends system just means that there are now two universes, no? In theory (and since there's a chance that this will make money most likely in practice as well, although it is too early to judge at this point) this will just mean that in the future you'll be able to buy "Star Wars" books based on the movie and series canon and "Star Wars Legends" books, which are essentially the expanded universe.

Just because they won't use the expanded universe as official canon for their Movies (but, as they said, still consider it a resource to draw from) doesn't mean that it is dead. They just rebranded it under a new new name.

This is my sincere hope for what happens eventually. But according to Jen Heddle's Q&A the plan right now is to continue putting out reprints and editions of existing Legends titles, but not to produce any new works set in that "Universe".

Her platitude/qualification on that statement was "Always in motion is the future", (and honestly I think it would be a good idea for Disney to keep both alive the way they have both mainstream Marvel and Ultimate Marvel universes for example,) but there's a serious chance the Legends universe has effectively been sunsetted.

Regardless of what happens I'm firmly a Legends fan now, it just remains to be see whether I'll be a Star Wars Canon fan (although I have high hopes, as I do genuinely believe a good job will be done with the future works).

Edited by DarthDymond

I'd wager that it depends on how successful the upcoming movie will be. And probably on how much the Legends reprints create in sales figures - large Legends sales equals a chance that they see the universe as still profitable and decide on continuing it.

Still, for a full on panic-mode it's a bit too early, I feel.

Well as far as I'm concerned, everything outside the movies isn't canon. Didn't keep me from enjoying other books, but I agree with people that there's a number of books that are just really crap. Just shows you you shouldn't assume it'll be good just cause it has Star Wars written on it.