Something needs to be done

RedVale

On my server at least, it seems possible for new players to get their wings while the more experienced players carry the match.

I agree with the general sentiment that breaking up the community even more could cause serious issues for queue times. Being able to play the game at all is better than having no games under a 'fair' matchmaking system.

I think the issue of longer queue times is only an issue if, the imbalance is addressed in a very simplistic way. If you toss 4v4 or 5v5 games into the mix you could actually have matchmaking and faster queues. The less complicated fight environment would also promote greater understanding of whats happening than the current 5 people target a new player and they are dead before they can blink. Other things that can be done, are adjusting the time it takes the sides to take over satellites, or the benefit powerups give.

Ideally, eventually the playerbase will grow enough that these measures will be infrequently used and proper matchmaking will be the rule.

Edited by General_Brass

I think the issue of longer queue times is only an issue if, the imbalance is addressed in a very simplistic way. If you toss 4v4 or 5v5 games into the mix you could actually have matchmaking and faster queues. The less complicated fight environment would also promote greater understanding of whats happening than the current 5 people target a new player and they are dead before they can blink. Other things that can be done, are adjusting the time it takes the sides to take over satellites, or the benefit powerups give.

Ideally, eventually the playerbase will grow enough that these measures will be infrequently used and proper matchmaking will be the rule.

I don't know if the game would work with smaller team sizes. It might, but I don't know. It would probably require smaller maps, though.

It's not upgrades. I just rolled an alt on TEH. In a stock ship I went 15/10/0.

What was the rest of your team? What was the opposing team? I expect the rest of your team wasn't stock and a good part of the opposing team was.

On my server at least, it seems possible for new players to get their wings while the more experienced players carry the match.

I agree with the general sentiment that breaking up the community even more could cause serious issues for queue times. Being able to play the game at all is better than having no games under a 'fair' matchmaking system.

That depends... MY experience is that due to the horrid matchmaking and new players getting stomped, queue times are WAY up and participation is WAY down. Almost all 8 v 8 matches, mostly the same people playing, you see new people for a few matches then never see them again. It seems to me GSF is not doing well and the reasons are all design and matchmaking based. (I won't list it all again here, I've done it in another thread this morning.)

What was the rest of your team? What was the opposing team? I expect the rest of your team wasn't stock and a good part of the opposing team was.

IIRC half of the other team had 5 ships, half had 2-3. My team was modestly weaker by that measure. And I substantially outscored everyone on both teams.