The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Couple of PT Tank questions

Kaos_KidSWTOR

Hello everyone it's Geld'in Starbound of the Harbinger server (please stop calling me KaosKid or something like that, the forums auto-chose the name, i like to go by either Skiptrace [my first toon] or Geld'in [my PT tank {aka my favorite toon}])

I am here to ask a few questions about PT Tank

Question 1: Can i safely ignore the Defence stat entirely? My logic in this is that the more defence I have the lower of a chance (artificially) to Shield attacks, which Procs Hydraulic Shield and Shield Vents, or can Defence rolls happen at the same time as Shield rolls?

Question 2: If Question one is a Yes, Should i go for the 2 piece PvE and 2 Piece PvP Set Bonus, since Defence is a bad stat? My reasoning for this is, the more Heat Blasts you can get in a given time increases your absorption rating through the roof. And, bosses with Knockbacks, you benefit from the lower Cooldown on Jet Charge, Am i still viable for HM's and NiM's if I run the 2 Piece PvE Tank Set Bonus, and the 2 Piece PvP Tank Set Bonus?

Question 3: what %'s should I aim for in Shield and Absorb? And what should I Augment for? Shield or Absorb?

Thanks for answering in advance,

Good Hunting,

Geld'in Starbound of The Harbinger Server

Hello Kaos kid!

To answer your first question- no don't ignore defense stat completely (unless you're choosing to optimize for certain fights which it doesn't sound like it, or for pvp). If you want to just go with one tanking set a balance. KBN's numbers are a good reference, and definitely don't sweat it too much on getting exact values to his for each stat.

- for the setbonus idea definitely don't use 2 piece pvp for pve. You lose armor rating (most reliable tanking stat) which will make you spikier and take more damage on average.

Hello Geld'in!

- for the setbonus idea definitely don't use 2 piece pvp for pve. You lose armor rating (most reliable tanking stat) which will make you spikier and take more damage on average.

While, on paper, that seems like a good idea, but the Armor Rating on Brutaliser gear is 69 armor rating, so it's not like it's blue 66 or something. It's still decent armor rating, and it's only on 2 of 8 gear items. The i think 4% Defence rating from the 4 piece PvE SB to me still seems counterproductive because every time a Defend roll happens, that's one less chance for a Shield roll to happen, which Shielding procs ALL of the PT's procs. Now i do know that the devs (which i take their information with a grain of salt) have said that they could possibly add Defend's to Hydraulic Shield and Shield Vents, but not Heat Screen (which is ok, because you proc it from your rotation more than shielding.) But, in the mean time, Defence is not that useful to a PT, and so this is where i had the idea for using 2 Piece PvE SB, and 2 Piece PvP SB, because the lower CD on Heat Blast, allows for more Heat Blasts per minute, and A. More Threat, and B. More uptime on the Absorption buff from Heat Blast, theoretically if you can get Heat Screens to proc often enough, you could have 100% uptime on the Absorb buff from Heat Blast, but you would need some damn high Shield % and Alacrity %.

I'm not a Theorycrafter by any means, i'm purely spitballing on this, and bouncing it off the community to see if it's a decent idea. too bad one of the more known PT players isnt here to explain things, or even KBN for his extensive tank stat knowlege.

As far as I know not many people who theorycraft main powertechs or post much, so I'm not sure who you are referring to if you don't want to use the numbers KBN posted(you can think and use logic on your own I'm sure, or point out why exactly you think I'm wrong other than i'm not a name you recognize ). The point I made about lower armor rating was meant to show that even if the heatblast gain was even worth comparing to 2% defense and resist chance you give up, it automatically makes it not worth it because not only do you give up that, but as well as armor rating. Because of that it's not even worth comparing because the opportunity cost is higher than what you get.... Most fights have a very high amount of M/R damage (even the ones that you use high absorb gear on). 2% defense chance for free is a great thing to have since you're not giving up much to get it.. resource management at the cost of mitigation shouldn't even be considered, and lost armor rating and defense is also not worth a slightly more amount of uptime on heatblast (defense is not useless stat in pve, many reasons why low defense ratings are reccomended for some fights is BECAUSE you have sources of free defense. So don't give up one of those sources) Edited by Rebel_Guy

They announced yesterday that defending against and dodging attacks will provide energy regen in the future. This was announced in the 2.8 patch notes that are currently on PTS. This should make the 4pc set bonus more desirable. This change applies to the resetting rocket punch proc as well

They announced yesterday that defending against and dodging attacks will provide energy regen in the future. This was announced in the 2.8 patch notes that are currently on PTS. This should make the 4pc set bonus more desirable. This change applies to the resetting rocket punch proc as well

Yep, noticed that too. Still will only be taking that 4 Piece in Defense, would put my defense somewhere in the 9% range, since 5% is base, and SB is 4% (or is it 2%?) i MAY take the 4% from talents, but still with all the absorption we get, we are meant to take Shield and Absorb.

Yep, noticed that too. Still will only be taking that 4 Piece in Defense, would put my defense somewhere in the 9% range, since 5% is base, and SB is 4% (or is it 2%?) i MAY take the 4% from talents, but still with all the absorption we get, we are meant to take Shield and Absorb.

Sounds like you have pretty bad build.

Not taking the 4% from talents. That is just extremely bad.

Running with 0 defense rating from gear, that is also very bad for most fights. Even with the few boss encounters where gearing up for max shield/absorb is preferable, one should still have all the possible "free defense".

And these claims that your heat somehow becomes unmanageable (even before the upcoming class changes) if you have few percent more defense is just utter nonsense.

If you overheat it is a learn to play issue, not something that dropping 4% defense (and gaining nothing in exchange) would fix.