Solo Raiding

BlueyedJedi

I heard that wow has a system now that you can solo que for dungeons. When you enter the dungeon npc's fill your group and you complete the dungeon solo?

Is this true, I think its pretty neat. I was told its used to help you learn your class, so tanks can practice aggro and healers can practice healing.

Anyway Im not sure if its true but it sounds like a good idea.

As someone who plays WoW and has played WoW consistently for the last several years, I can tell you with complete certainty that this is... very false.

What someone may be confusing is WoW's Proving Grounds. PGs are a solo instance you can enter from a menu at your Class Trainer. Once there, you can select solo 'trials' based on your chosen role (Tank, Heal, DPS) in order to test how well you perform.

DPS do it completely alone vs. groups of non-threatening mobs (basically target dummies with some simple skills, like self-healing). Tanks get exactly one CPU ally, an annoying and whiny healer that doesn't heal very well, but you have to keep mobs off her anyway.

Healers get an entire imaginary 'party' of 1 Tank and 3 DPS (WoW uses 5-man parties) which they have to keep alive while the CPU allies do a variety of inexplicable and stupid things.

As far as actual game content outside that one trial area, there are no NPC party members. Everything from Scenarios (WoW version of Tactical FPs) to Dungeons (HM FPs) to Raids (SM Ops) require your queue to be fully-filled by real players.

Now, whether you get yet another PvP queue or dungeon where 1-2 players are Chinese or Russian farming bots is another story... but that's probably not the kind of NPC ally you're imagining. :)

Something closer to this was Guild Wars 1, where you could form an entire 'party' out of simple CPU-controlled 'Henchman', or in later expansions, CPU-controlled 'Heroes' which were basically the GW1 equivalent of SWTOR Companions.

It made GW1 basically a completely-soloable MMO (depending how good you were at micro-management and how much you exploited cheesy ability builds to steamroll content).

This ended up feeling very weird though, since you began to wonder what other people were actually for, and parties would sometimes deliberately prefer CPU allies over real players because the CPU had better reflexes or could perform boring/repetitive ability builds better than a true player.

While a cool idea, it has some really bad cascading side-effects on the game design. It's not surprising that ArenaNet deleted this system for GW2 and ensured that all groups have to be composed fully of player-controlled units.

Good points. It does seem like a good idea that wow has for learning your class. Ive always been a pretty good healer and have always wanted to try tanking. Ive made a couple tanks but never seem to get past level 25ish because Im afraid my skills arent that good. Practicing with npcs to get better seems allot better then hearing "you stink" :)

Mmm...

I remember Guild Wars allowed you to hire "mercenary" healer, tanker, dps to fill out your group and act as surrogate "retard" players.

City Of Heroes (COH) (RIP) had a better schema for this, for each instance the nature of the simulation adapted to the level and number of participants, so all material was done at your level and scaled down in number and quality of mobs based on the number, so you could actually solo it. If I remember right, the game enforce level differentials in the group to a difference no more than 5, and the group leader's level was the scenario level; which was often gamed by having the lowest level be the leader if you were doing the scenario as part of thread and just needed to check the box, or the group would chose the highest level as boss so the other players had greater leveling benefit. The nature of mobs varied with player quantities, just you the highest or toughest mob you would get would be a "Silver" by our standards (and final boss would be gold), have 3 players the standard raised to "gold" and fina lboss would be a gneeric platinum, raise to 5 players and you are at full blast named platinum bosses!

I would relaly would like to see SWTOR adopt CoH's practice.

Sue