Idea: support points as calculation for ship req

Fractalsponge

So with the new command variants out, what do people think of having a new scoreboard column for "support points"? Group buffs and utility work seems to be undervalued in the current scoring scheme, both for req rewards and e-peen :D. Lots of very valuable contributions isn't really rewarded at the moment unless you are actively defending the node - for example, the blackbolt/nova that runs in to clear a minefield for his wingmen to flip a node doesn't really get rewarded for the insane risks taken in doing so.

My proposal would be to have a new class of points handed out for a variety of actions in game. These would be scaled by difficulty/value. All points would count only if they hit allies, not yourself, since that's sort of against the point.

Things that would grant these hypothetical points (scaled by value/difficulty):

- every healing tick of repair drone/repair probes on allies (this currently gets you just medals based on aggregate heals, but would now also grant support points for usage)

- every shield projector tick that restores allied shields

- every use of your hyperspace beacon

- every kill scored by allies while under the effects of sensor beacon

- every time tensor field/combat command is applied to an ally

- every time wingman or running interference is applied to an ally

- killing mines or disabling mines

Keep a tally, and grant medals based on thresholds like mechanic/savior is scored now. Use this total as a source of ship requisition for both game modes. I think if implemented this would encourage team play, the use of the new ships, and more "altruistic" play than the lone wolf kill-everything-in-sight kind of play. Thoughts?

Medals don't grant req on live.

Granting a small req bonus for the support stuff wouldn't be bad, but I think the tally thing could be exploited. Right now it's basically kills and assists and objectives, and you could simply add a bit for support.

I know medals don't count towards req - it's more to get people to feel like they're contributing, which is pretty much all medals are for in the current game. Getting shinies in medals, and using the points to contribute to req, would encourage the sort of play that doesn't get rewarded (tangibly) in the current setup.

And I do think all fighting at a satellite should contribute to objective, white, red, or green.

My suggestion would be different - buff/debuff assists.

Just add a number of new ways to get assists:

- debuff assist for when ally kills enemy under effect of your debuff (TT's evasion drop, sensor beacon, slow, etc)

- buff assist for kills that your allies make while under effect of any of your buffs (co-pilot abilities, command ablities, etc)

- buff assist for kills that your allies make in, like, 20s period after they have been healed by your effects, or had shields regenerated by your effects.

These would have 50% req value of damage assist (which is equal to kill afaik). They could either be listed in a new column in scoreboard, or just on mouse-over on the assist count.

By simply issuing req on use of the support stuff, I'd be a bit afraid that some nutjobs would be able to abuse that to farm req in peace of their mothership, so the amounts would have to be very very small to not be worth that. Which would obviously make them not worth the effort in the battle, too (but better than the nothing we have now, indeed).

Then again, we still don't see req awarded for keeping a white satellite contested so that the other team doesn't capture it.

I never understood why this did not count as "offensive" objective points (time spent in the capture range of a satellite that isn't yours)

Also, 1 defender who can circle a satellite like no other can frustrate 2-3 attackers (especially if they do not coordinate). Why does 1 defender get to hold a satellite vs more opponents? I would like to see a satellite turn neutral if you get outnumbered, but you have to clear it to capture it. (1 attacker with 1 defender would not turn a sat neutral)