Chronological Story Order?

Dayshadow

I've been away for about a year or two. I'm starting over and was wondering about the storylines.

I've played the first chapter of every class accept Mercenary and Imperial Agent. All accept Sith Inquisitor came to a definitive close. My question is, do the class stories for those classes I didn't play have closure per chapter? By this I mean, do they have a definitive end? For instance the Trooper chapter 1 ends and it feels right to take a break or play another class. Where the Sith Inquisitor story just keeps on rolling and there is no feeling of closure between the first the second chapters. The story just keeps going.

I ask because I don't just play one class straight through. I play two classes at once to the end of a chapter and then switch and do two more classes. Then when done I'll go into chapter 2 in a like fashion through all the classes. So for Chapter 1 I'd do the Sith Inquisitor last because then I'd just continue on into Chapter 2.

I'm also curious as to the order of the stories. The game has been out awhile so I figure this may be more or less clear now. Is there a chronological order to the stories. On a small scale, for example, the Trooper story starts before the smuggler as there is a part in the smuggler dialog which spoke about the opening scene of the Trooper story. So maybe the Agent mentions something that takes place in the Jedi Knight plot which would put the Jedi Knight story before the Agent chronologically.

Is there a greater chronological order or is it all roughly take place at the same time? I'm not referring to Chapter 1, but all the chapters; the complete picture.

Note: Not looking for spoilers necessarily, just more like "For this planet class 1 starts before class 2" or Class 1 starts chapter 2 after class 4" etc." Not actual plot details as this isn't the forum for it.

My question is, do the class stories for those classes I didn't play have closure per chapter? By this I mean, do they have a definitive end? For instance the Trooper chapter 1 ends and it feels right to take a break or play another class. Where the Sith Inquisitor story just keeps on rolling and there is no feeling of closure between the first the second chapters. The story just keeps going.

Yes, there is a "break" at the end of chapter 1 for agents and bounty hunters. The chapter 1 story concludes, and then it shifts in a different direction in chapter 2.

I'm also curious as to the order of the stories. The game has been out awhile so I figure this may be more or less clear now. Is there a chronological order to the stories. On a small scale, for example, the Trooper story starts before the smuggler as there is a part in the smuggler dialog which spoke about the opening scene of the Trooper story. So maybe the Agent mentions something that takes place in the Jedi Knight plot which would put the Jedi Knight story before the Agent chronologically.

Hum... hard to say. There are various cross-references to other class stories, companions, minor NPCs and even faction planetary questlines, but I don't remember enough to say definitely there's an order for every class story on every planet. Mostly, they don't interact in any way on the same planet.

There is something like an order for some planetary questlines though.

Balmorra : Imperial story comes first, obviously

Taris: Republic story comes first, also obivously

Nar Shaddaa: Stories are unrelated

Tatooine, Alderaan, Hoth : Stories don't cross reference. Both sides may be after the same thing but neither explicitiely invalidates the other.

Quesh: EDIT: stories are conflicting.

Belsavis: Republic story comes first

Voss: Republic story comes first (first part only, then both sides are after the same thing simultaneously)

Corellia: Imperial story comes first, Republic story undoes most of it.

Ilum: Simultaneous.

Makeb: Imperial story comes first (although the timelines overlap), Republic story does nothing to undo it. Recommended you actually play republic first.

Edited by Loc_n_lol

You don't know that, unless you want to override one's side LS / DS choices.

Hmm... Not seeing what you mean exactly, but I haven't played Quesh in full for a while. My justification was the role Moff Dracen plays in both stories, I think the only way to reconcile that is to have the imperial story play out first.:rak_02:

Hmm... Not seeing what you mean exactly, but I haven't played Quesh in full for a while. My justification was the role Moff Dracen plays in both stories, I think the only way to reconcile that is to have the imperial story play out first.:rak_02:

Not exactly. I'll explain though... ;)

The issue here is that, Empire side, one of the LS / DS choices you have gives you the possibility of either sparing or killing Broga, which is one of the leaders of the Three Families.

Ergo, if you decide to kill him, how can the Republic side of Quesh even take place, given the fact Broga himself is a MAJOR character there as well?

In other words, it's pretty much the same issue concerning Moff Dracen when you think of it.

Again, as it stands now, it is pretty much impossible to decide which side of Quesh takes place, assuming both of them can even take place, given the nature of the LS / DS choices.

The only cop-out really is for someone - namely Bioware - to totally disregard the LS / DS choices put in place.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Not exactly. I'll explain though... ;)

The issue here is that, Empire side, one of the LS / DS choices you have gives you the possibility of either sparing or killing Broga, which is one of the leaders of the Three Families.

Ergo, if you decide to kill him, how can the Republic side of Quesh even take place, given the fact Broga himself is a MAJOR character there as well?

In other words, it's pretty much the same issue concerning Moff Dracen when you think of it.

Again, as it stands now, it is pretty much impossible to decide which side of Quesh takes place, assuming both of them can even take place, given the nature of the LS / DS choices.

The only cop-out really is for someone - namely Bioware - to totally disregard the LS / DS choices put in place.

Could it not being that they are happening simultaneously?

All the empire stuff happens to happen before Dracen can be killed and all the Republic stuff happens before Broga can be killed? Both sides stories are threading through each other chronologically? I assume this is in reference to a world arc and not a class story.

Could it not being that they are happening simultaneously?

All the empire stuff happens to happen before Dracen can be killed and all the Republic stuff happens before Broga can be killed? Both sides stories are threading through each other chronologically? I assume this is in reference to a world arc and not a class story.

Unlikely, seeing that...

On the Empire side, Moff Dracen can be seen AFTER Imperial players are given the choice of killing or sparing Broga.

On the Republic side, Broga IS rescued by Republic players AFTER you decide to either kill or spare Moff Dracen.

In other words, what you suggest is not possible, unless of course either side LS / DS decisions are overridden like I mentioned already.

Yeah ok, I did remember killing a bunch of hutts as an option, but not that this particular name was on the list. So there's a conflict here...

Yep.

Again, logic would probably dictate that, as you mentioned earlier, that Empire side takes place first and Republic second, with...

Imperials SPARING Broga and the Republic either CAPTURING or KILLING Dracen afterwards.

But yet again, you're effectively throwing out the window player choice in the process.

Regardless, just another niggle in a planet where everything feels effectively broken, from the companions gaining no affection points whatsoever, outside class stories, to the fact that some quest locations, as described in dialogue and quest resumes, are nonsensical.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Yep.

Again, logic would probably dictate that, as you mentioned earlier, that Empire side takes place first and Republic second, with...

Imperials SPARING Broga and the Republic either CAPTURING or KILLING Dracen afterwards.

But yet again, you're effectively throwing out the window player choice in the process.

Regardless, just another niggle in a planet where everything feels effectively broken, from the companions gaining no affection points whatsoever, outside class stories, to the fact that some quest locations, as described in dialogue and quest resumes, are nonsensical.

^I think this is 100% spot on, both the assessment of what makes the most sense for how both sides "fit" together and the view of how unfinished Quesh feels overall.

I'm guessing that specific LS/DS option was added in after the Republic side was either finished, or at least well on it's way and it just would have been a huge pain to go back in and rework that side. Either poor communication or a "lesser of two evils" decision was probably at work there.

Edited by DarthDymond

• 1 year later...

Voss: Republic story comes first (first part only, then both sides are after the same thing simultaneously)

What constitutes the "first part" of Voss? How will I know when the First part is done?

I've actually been playing all the classes and Voss is up next. I'm glad I played it this way. I like seeing the crossover between different class stories/world quests.

I know that for Belsavis, Sith Inquisitor story happens before Jedi Knight.

At one point, you talk to the fat warden on holocom an an Inq, and as a Knight, he dies in the first five minutes you're on Belsavis.

Once I've played through all eight classes story with the x12, and refreshed my memory on the planetary storylines, especially Imperial side, (one-off sidequests are useless for chronology because they're virtually all "collect ten bear asses" type) I should be able to compile information and figure out a timeline. Note that it most likely won't be "class X story happens before class Y" - far more likely it will be "class X does planet Z before class Y" - so we'll see a lot of interwoven plot threads.

Edited by Diviciacus

I played all the storylines, and i found this important, because its hard to remember everything. And because its good to put the fractioned stories in order.

IMO, i think the time is not always divided betwen factions, but classes.

Its not always clear, as the ending of the main story for the Jedi Consular where Saresh was appointed as Supreme Chanceler, probably because of the assassination of the previous one, on the Bounty Hunter story.

I would like see BW making it more clear.

Edited by leonlotus

I know that for Belsavis, Sith Inquisitor story happens before Jedi Knight.

At one point, you talk to the fat warden on holocom an an Inq, and as a Knight, he dies in the first five minutes you're on Belsavis.

Once I've played through all eight classes story with the x12, and refreshed my memory on the planetary storylines, especially Imperial side, (one-off sidequests are useless for chronology because they're virtually all "collect ten bear asses" type) I should be able to compile information and figure out a timeline. Note that it most likely won't be "class X story happens before class Y" - far more likely it will be "class X does planet Z before class Y" - so we'll see a lot of interwoven plot threads.

For Belsavis, all empire stories are after the republic guys have left. The Empire "wins" Belsavis. The imperial world quest for Belsavis concludes like the Consular story for Balmorra, if you take my meaning.

I'm just curious to know when I should start playing the Imp characters on Voss since the poster I quoted alluded to a "first part" of Voss. Hopefully I'll be able to recognize the end of the first part when I come to it.

I played all the storylines, and i found this important, because its hard to remember everything. And because its good to put the fractioned stories in order.

IMO, i think the time is not always divided betwen factions, but classes.

Its not always clear, as the ending of the main story for the Jedi Consular where Saresh was appointed as Supreme Chanceler, probably because of the assassination of the previous one, on the Bounty Hunter story.

I would like see BW making it more clear.

As far as I can tell it's based on faction, not class. Class order only matters within the factions themselves. For instance, BH ends first, then agent, then warrior, then the inquisitor last. All end before republic classes. For republic, from what I've figured out, I see the Trooper and Smuggler being tied for first, Consular third and the Knight being last.

For Belsavis, all empire stories are after the republic guys have left. The Empire "wins" Belsavis. The imperial world quest for Belsavis concludes like the Consular story for Balmorra, if you take my meaning.

The thing is, by quoting what I wrote in the spoiler, that literally can't be true. The Inquisitor is at least halfway done on Belsavis before the Knight ever makes planetfall. In fact, given the nature of what's going on in the Knight story when you first arrive, and how the Warden doesn't seem to be terribly worried other than what the Inquisitor is doing when you talk to him, the Inquisitor is probably even gone before the Knight gets there.

Keep in mind also that what the Empire does on Belsavis

that is, freeing the Dread Masters

is unrelated to what the Republic does on Belsavis.

that is, preventing a literal star-destroying entity from being freed from the original Rakata prison complex

The thing is, by quoting what I wrote in the spoiler, that literally can't be true.

What you wrote is wrong. He does not die as part of the knight storyline as he is only present in the world arcs. He does not appear outside the world arcs of either faction. You're mixing up class quests with world arcs. Even though the Knight story vaguely alludes to things that occurred in the world arc.

It is the old warden who gave your helper the position of unofficial prison guard. Not the fat one. That's why no one could vouch for him at the end.

It is the former warden who dies early in the republic world arc and the fat one takes over since he was second in command. He doesn't die until the end of the imperial world arc, if you encourage the Dreadmasters kill him.

After you complete the republic world arc you chat with the fat warden along with General Soandso. He is very much alive when republic players leave Belsavis.

And when I mentioned ending order I was referring to the entire story conclusion (following Corellia).

Edited by Dayshadow

What you wrote is wrong

Having looked it up, yes... but not for the reason you think.

You're mixing up class quests with world arcs.

I am not, actually. I had it in my head that the warden who gets killed in the first two minutes the Knight is on Belsavis was the fat one. Having looked it up again, I am incorrect. The fat one is the replacement.

I have realized that i think on voss the Warrior story is before the Knight because...

Madaga-Ru says that he asked to meld with you so that he could learn how to end Sel makor forever and the knight does this in their quest (thougth a different mystic helps out)

It has been remarked before, not long after the game came out, that all Imp/Rep storylines are happening simultaneously. However this doesn't explain some of the storyline crossovers that remark on something that has not happened in a particular storyline yet.

I have realized that i think on voss the Warrior story is before the Knight because...

Madaga-Ru says that he asked to meld with you so that he could learn how to end Sel makor forever and the knight does this in their quest (thougth a different mystic helps out)

Technically, everyone would have to be before the knight...

...for no other reason than that everyone can do the world arc. Voss is the planet in which we said both factions are there simultaneously. The Warrior fight Sel-Mekor via the Voice so his would have to end before the knight, unless the knight's class story is a farce and Sel-Mekor was not destroyed.

I have to wonder what occurs if you complete the knight class story first and then complete the world arc? How does a dead being have an avatar? Is the destruction of Sel-Mekor acknowledged by the Deshade? And doesn't the knight class quest negate the prophecy of the world arc. If Sel-Mekor is gone, there is no reason for peace between Voss and Gormak as the darkness is over. The knight story doesn't make sense within the greater scheme of things. Not to mention how anti-climatic, nonsensical and lame it ends.

Edited by Dayshadow

They are all happening NIGH simultaneously. As in, there is a short time period between the stories, both the class and the planetary.

The biggest difference would be a week here or there. Inconsenquential if you ask me.

Just play the classes you find fun first.

They are all happening NIGH simultaneously. As in, there is a short time period between the stories, both the class and the planetary.

The biggest difference would be a week here or there. Inconsenquential if you ask me.

Just play the classes you find fun first.

I think you might find that the class stories have a bit more temporal wiggle room than you might expect. It's even outright stated in the Agent story at one point that several months have passed since an early mission (I can't remember if it's something like Hutta/Dromund Kaas... or even the entire chapter one storyline, though).

The x12 bonus can warp the sense of time pretty hard when it takes four days to level a toon 1-50 instead of four weeks. :p

I think you might find that the class stories have a bit more temporal wiggle room than you might expect. It's even outright stated in the Agent story at one point that several months have passed since an early mission (I can't remember if it's something like Hutta/Dromund Kaas... or even the entire chapter one storyline, though).

The x12 bonus can warp the sense of time pretty hard when it takes four days to level a toon 1-50 instead of four weeks. :p

I am not comparing intraclass time periods, but interclass time periods. And there, yes, they are pretty close to each other. I am aware of the passage of time within the stories themselves btw. Rakton surely didn't build up that army of his in a single week, neither did Baras acquire such power as he did within a month.

I am not comparing intraclass time periods, but interclass time periods.

The thing is, you can't assume that just because every class' story takes place over a long period that the timespans that get skipped over all happen simultaneously. If there's several months over the course of a story, there's a lot of room for events to not happen concurrently. Which was my point.