You need to tone down the restrictions on F2P

While I am subbed, I was playing with a friend and while questing he got a helmet he didn't like the look of. I told him to just hide helmet.....but he couldn't. He couldn't hide helmet, unify colors, even the ui is restricted.......Bioware your F2P is supposed to make people want to sub, these restrictions you put on.....are just silly to say the best.

Even if it is a taste, look at LOTRO also F2P. But nowhere near as restricting as SWTOR.

LOTRO doesn't give you EIGHT completely different class stories, all for FREE. That sounds like a damn good deal to me.

Plus, most of the restrictions F2P have are QoL restrictions anyway; i.e. it isn't needed to play through all eight stories, just for convenience purposes.

If you feel bad for him, just buy him the Hide Head Slot perk on the CM or the GTN, and give it to him. Problem solved. :)

Edited by Essence_of_Light

Gonna have to disagree with you here. First, I'm not sure where you got the idea that F2P is supposed to encourage players to sub. That seems more like a free trial offer. You know, play for free for a week, but then you have to sub to keep playing. That is not F2P's purpose. Even if it is, then, in my experience, it worked perfectly. I had canceled my sub before they switched to F2P. When I came back and discovered that even as a Preferred account, I could not hide helmet or unify colors, I resubbed immediately. So, yeah, mission accomplished. The onerous restrictions convinced me to pay for the perks.

In the current MMO F2P model, F2P is supposed to encourage players to spend money on the game. That can be from subbing, or it can be from purchasing unlocks in the CM. Players who want the perks of subbing without paying can always get the unlocks on the GTN. EA/BW doesn't care because that means someone paid for the unlock in the CM.

As far as I'm concerned, F2P means access to the core elements of the game, not the ancillary parts and perks. As long as F2Pers can do the missions and their blasters blast and their light sabers ... well, saber ... that's all they should expect. Would it be cool if we could all go F2P and still get all the perks of a sub? Sure. But I'm not ready for the game to die yet.

LOTRO doesn't give you EIGHT completely different class stories, all for FREE. That sounds like a damn good deal to me.

Plus, most of the restrictions F2P have are QoL restrictions anyway; i.e. it isn't needed to play through all eight stories, just for convenience purposes.

If you feel bad for him, just buy him the Hide Head Slot perk on the CM or the GTN, and give it to him. Problem solved. :)

True I'm just saying that some of these restrictions were just random......like someone at BW had to sit there while they were coming up with the F2P model and say "I got it! No hide helmet slot for them!"

I don't think LOTRO is a very good deal at all.

You need to start buying quests after the Lonelands, basically level 30 (and the level cap is 95). So that's 65 levels of quests to buy, including 5 different expansions. They've got a 4 pack of the older ones for $20, but the most recent is still $40, I think.

2 of the classes are locked.

You have to buy the riding skill, you can't get it in game.

A lot of SWTORs limitations are kinda of tacky annoyances, I agree, but the bulk of the game is free, and many of the restrictions you can buy off the GTN for surprisingly little. Before I subbed (which was just last week) I had gotten the helmet unlock and a couple of character slots, for 100k each. (I can't believe people sell them for that low, to be honest).

The biggest problem with SWTOR's F2P is really XP. Even doing the bonus series, I was lagging behind recommended levels. But you can make that up somewhat now with KDY.

If there were two restrictions that I would absolutely remove from this game in a heartbeat, it would be

1. The credit cap (FOR PREFERRED PLAYERS)

2. Weekly 5 Warzone Limit

Those two are my biggest concerns, not only based on how they affect me but how the affect the game economy and the time it takes to get warzone queues.

1.The credit cap is ridiculous, 350k for preferred?? There should be no credit cap for preferred players, the escrow CM purchase is a completely ridiculous. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think SWTOR is the only MMO that is cheap enough to restrict how much you can make in their MMO, and then charge you $$$ just to get those credits that you worked hard to earn.

2.Whenever there are threads that pop up about people complaining about the long server queues, I'm surprised that almost none of them discuss the Weekly Warzone Limit as being the sole problem in any way. Don't most subscribers understand that an overbearing/massive percentage of SWOTR's ingame population comes from F2P/Preffered players?? And yet ranked/unranked PVPers act shocked that it takes an hour to get a ranked warzone queue, and on some servers 20 min to get an unranked warzone queue. Well maybe thats because about 75% of this game's population cant get to lvl 55 (cause its restricted content) and can also play only 5 warzones a week. :rak_02:

Most of the small things I can agree are silly to have limitation on (like the cosmetic stuff), but those you can get around by paying for 3 months with security key (extra CCs to buy the rarer unlocks).

Earn as much credits as possible then buy the unlock from the GTN, a friend of mine pretty much had all he needed after subbing for 3 months.

The only things they *really* need to remove/rework are the limitations in WZ participations and allow a single OP per week for preferred status.

While you can buy passes in the GTN, you should needed to, to play end game content.

While I am subbed, I was playing with a friend and while questing he got a helmet he didn't like the look of. I told him to just hide helmet.....but he couldn't. He couldn't hide helmet, unify colors, even the ui is restricted.......Bioware your F2P is supposed to make people want to sub, these restrictions you put on.....are just silly to say the best.

If he wants to hide his helmet, then he'll sub or buy the unlock

Most of the small things I can agree are silly to have limitation on (like the cosmetic stuff), but those you can get around by paying for 3 months with security key (extra CCs to buy the rarer unlocks).

Earn as much credits as possible then buy the unlock from the GTN, a friend of mine pretty much had all he needed after subbing for 3 months.

The only things they *really* need to remove/rework are the limitations in WZ participations and allow a single OP per week for preferred status.

While you can buy passes in the GTN, you should needed to, to play end game content.

Why would anyone sub if you could do endgame content and all story content? That's everything.

I don't think LOTRO is a very good deal at all.

You need to start buying quests after the Lonelands, basically level 30 (and the level cap is 95). So that's 65 levels of quests to buy, including 5 different expansions. They've got a 4 pack of the older ones for $20, but the most recent is still $40, I think.

2 of the classes are locked.

You have to buy the riding skill, you can't get it in game.

A lot of SWTORs limitations are kinda of tacky annoyances, I agree, but the bulk of the game is free, and many of the restrictions you can buy off the GTN for surprisingly little. Before I subbed (which was just last week) I had gotten the helmet unlock and a couple of character slots, for 100k each. (I can't believe people sell them for that low, to be honest).

The biggest problem with SWTOR's F2P is really XP. Even doing the bonus series, I was lagging behind recommended levels. But you can make that up somewhat now with KDY.

In LOTRO they also give you a **** ton of quests and deeds to complete that give you Turbine Points (their Cartel Coins) that you can purchase on account wide zones, more character slots, and banking. I would know, my dad is the regular subber of LOTRO and I play it free and I have the exact same amount of stuff he does because we figured out how to milk the system and get it to work. Took like 2 weeks of game time, but it worked.

If there were two restrictions that I would absolutely remove from this game in a heartbeat, it would be

1. The credit cap (FOR PREFERRED PLAYERS)

2. Weekly 5 Warzone Limit

Those two are my biggest concerns, not only based on how they affect me but how the affect the game economy and the time it takes to get warzone queues.

1.The credit cap is ridiculous, 350k for preferred?? There should be no credit cap for preferred players, the escrow CM purchase is a completely ridiculous. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think SWTOR is the only MMO that is cheap enough to restrict how much you can make in their MMO, and then charge you $$$ just to get those credits that you worked hard to earn.

2.Whenever there are threads that pop up about people complaining about the long server queues, I'm surprised that almost none of them discuss the Weekly Warzone Limit as being the sole problem in any way. Don't most subscribers understand that an overbearing/massive percentage of SWOTR's ingame population comes from F2P/Preffered players?? And yet ranked/unranked PVPers act shocked that it takes an hour to get a ranked warzone queue, and on some servers 20 min to get an unranked warzone queue. Well maybe thats because about 75% of this game's population cant get to lvl 55 (cause its restricted content) and can also play only 5 warzones a week. :rak_02:

Wrong, DCUO limits you too unless you buy escrow packs from their own CM. Mind you DCUO is well past this learning curve and is easily one of the best games on the market but it severely lacks for RP... Which is why I stuck to SWTOR. And that disappoints me because my current budget allowed me to only sub for one game and I chose the crappy game with the good RP over my first MMO which has evolved into a fantastic game...

Why would anyone sub if you could do endgame content and all story content? That's everything.

To have access to more then a taste?

Makeb and other expansions? No credit limits? The CCs? The rested exp? The credit transfer by mail? The extra ship/fleet requisitions? The free tree re-spec? The lowered cost of removing mods? The early access to new features? The fact I like the game and it's the main reason I sub is that I want to see it go on?

Bioware your F2P is supposed to make people want to sub, these restrictions you put on.....are just silly to say the best.

So, instead, they are supposed to give people all this stuff for free and THAT is going make them want to sub? Yeah, right.....lol. This is not a F2P game. It's a sub game that added a F2P option.....it's a hybrid model. Unlike a true F2P game, they have to keep benefits here for subbing. If people get 99% of the game for free, then they will lose all of their subs as there will be almost no reason left to sub.

If he doesn't like it then he can sub. ;)

Edited by Kourage

True I'm just saying that some of these restrictions were just random......like someone at BW had to sit there while they were coming up with the F2P model and say "I got it! No hide helmet slot for them!"
I think the process went the reverse way. Someone at BW sat there and said, "What's the bare minimum we can allow F2P and still let them 'play' the game?" Everything else was locked out. As it should be.

You know, hide helmet, unify colors and several other restrictions weren't a part of the game at launch, right? That may have been part of the rationale for the restrictions they came up with for F2P.

To have access to more then a taste?

Makeb and other expansions? No credit limits? The CCs? The rested exp? The credit transfer by mail? The extra ship/fleet requisitions? The free tree re-spec? The lowered cost of removing mods? The early access to new features? The fact I like the game and it's the main reason I sub is that I want to see it go on?

No, story plus endgame is a full meal with desert. Advocating giving all of that for free is pure greed.

Even if it is a taste, look at LOTRO also F2P. But nowhere near as restricting as SWTOR.

Look at WoT and it`s HALF XP for non subs (premium). Did I mention the prohibitive rep prices above tier 7 or so? Loosely translated, as soon as you pass lvl 37 you`ll be basically stuck doing one lvl 37 mission, then go do 2-3 lvl 20 missions, simply to make up the money you`ll lose, or make any money.

I`m sure you`ll have a blast with rules from the generally seen as the best F2P game around.

You are getting a limited trial of the game. Don`t like it, sub.

Edited by Styxx

So, instead, they are supposed to give people all this stuff for free and THAT is going make them want to sub? Yeah, right.....lol. This is not a F2P game. It's a sub game that added a F2P option.....it's a hybrid model. Unlike a true F2P game, they have to keep benefits here for subbing. If people get 99% of the game for free, then they will lose all of their subs as there will be almost no reason left to sub.

There are other hybrid games where you can play for free and have no major distinctions (as in there's no limit to your gameplay, but you need to buy more services) between a free player and someone who pays. Can even unlock higher credit limits when you play free.

There's a difference between annoying you to spend money and making you want to spend money. This game annoys you into spending money. Which if that's the model they want to do for, that's great, but I think it's a rather stupid one myself.

Edited by Greyhamea

There are other hybrid games where you can play for free and have no major distinctions (as in there's no limit to your gameplay, but you need to buy more services) between a free player and someone who pays. Can even unlock higher credit limits when you play free.

There's a difference between annoying you to spend money and making you want to spend money. This game annoys you into spending money. Which if that's the model they want to do for, that's great, but I think it's a rather stupid one myself.

As has been stated a few times in the thread-- you can play the game perfectly fine for free getting access to all the base mechanics and all the classes and all their full stories as a F2P. For a Bioware title that is pretty darn good. The class stories rival most any solo RPG.

That cosmetic things like unify colors and hide head slot, which have zero affect on gameplay, require some payment in the form of either a cartel unlock, which as was also pointed out in this thread you can get on GTN-- so still for free even, or a monthly subscription is incentive to spend money on the game. The game only continues to exist because we spend money on it. I do think things like letting F2P file bug reports would be of benefit to the game as a whole but I am on the fence about warzones though. More players would mean more variety and more queue pop-- maybe...

There are already way too many in the two lowbie PvP brackets who sit on nodes to "get their defense medals" and admit they are only there for their daily and the XP. With F2P even more in need of XP I am not so sure that opening up more WZs to them would not just aggravate this sort of behavior further, which overall is far worse for PvP than having longer queues of people who actually want to be there for PvP. The only PvP queue where folks are truly there for just PvP and not XP is the 55 one and as F2P are capped to 50, so how would that help us?

I am sure the credit cap is annoying but I know many F2P who borrow from sub friends for big purchases and pay them back using escrow transfers. I really have no ideal what is this "difference between annoying you to spend money and making you want to spend money" you mention. Besides simply making more things free to avoid your annoyance, which seems to be what the F2Pers posting here are on about, what? Obviously most F2P see some value in the game or If they were so annoyed by it they would just leave.

Other players spend real money on this game to play it and should be incentivized to continue to do so and F2Pers to subscribe too. LotR is no comparison really as does not have near the fanbase and draw of the Star Wars setting. This game is Star Wars though and that in itself will always be a huge draw to many who may have never even played any other MMO (as I have not) so you can't really compare it to other F2P models. The bottom line is that no one forces anyone to play and you get what you pay for...

Oh wait-- except here! You get a heck of a lot of gameplay and deep RPG stories for absolutely nothing.

You know what bugs me about people complaining about F2P (regarding hide head slot, unify colours, modding armours etc) Yes its restricted on some things, but its has to be as its a taster, if you want all in, sub, if not preferred.. but my original point is.. F2P is like when I started playing from early access... New players don't know how lucky they have it now in game