The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Wookieepedia - To become a subscription based service

Edit: Realized what day it is and how it is probably an April Fools joke. My bad. :o

So, I went to Wookieepedia today to look up something (obviously Star Wars related) and to my surprise a box popped up saying:

You need to log in with your Wookieepedia Pro account to continue reading this page.

In April, Wookieepedia will become a subscription service. While we regret this move, it is a necessary step due to rising maintenance costs. See this page for more information.

• Wookieepedia Pro Plus
    Unlimited articles No ads $9.99/month

• Wookieepedia Pro
    Unlimited articles $4.99/month

• No thanks, ask me later
    You will only be able to read 10 articles per month

I have to say, while I understand the reasoning behind it, I can't say I like it. Personally, I'm not going to shell out the extra cash to pay for a subscription to view Wookieepedia.

Thoughts?

Note: For more info on this change you can go here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:Subscription

Edit: Realized what day it is and how it is probably an April Fools joke. My bad. :o

Edited by Essence_of_Light
Realized what day it is and how it is probably an April Fools joke. My bad.

So, I went to Wookieepedia today to look up something (obviously Star Wars related) and to my surprise a box popped up saying:

I have to say, while I understand the reasoning behind it, I can't say I like it. Personally, I'm not going to shell out the extra cash to pay for a subscription to view Wookieepedia.

Thoughts?

Note: For more info on this change you can go here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:Subscription

Oh, hai there April 1st, you'll notice the featured article today is also on B00bies.

Edited by DarthDymond

Oh, hai there April 1st, you'll notice the featured article today is also "B00bies".

According to them, it isn't an April Fools joke. I'm afraid its the real deal here. See their response here.

This had better be an April Fools Joke. Milo49 (talk) 02:37, April 1, 2014 (UTC)

We've been getting that response a lot so far, and we expected as much. That's why we wanted to roll it out tonight, March 31 in North American timezones, to avoid any confusion. We're working with Wikia Staff on this, and they've been breathing down our necks to get this notice up by April 1, since it's less than a month to go now before implementation. We apologize for any confusion. Toprawa and Ralltiir (talk) 02:41, April 1, 2014 (UTC)

If this were real, they'd have waited till April 2nd to announce it to avoid the "is it a joke" confusion. I have to say, I don't find it to be very funny joke. Jokes where you trick people into thinking they need to give you money never sit well with me (having witnessed scams where this has happened and not been a joke). Glad others are making silly remarks about it though. -Thunderforge (talk) 02:48, April 1, 2014 (UTC)

I don't understand. What joke? Gal-icon OLIOSTER (talk) 02:50, April 1, 2014 (UTC)

I too thought they were just playing around but it seems I was wrong. I've been in contact with them in the IRC and this is very real. Some people have already started paying so there's no going back in that now :( Winterz (talk) 02:52, April 1, 2014 (UTC)

If this does turn out to be one huge April Fools joke, I have to say it is quite poor taste.

According to them, it isn't an April Fools joke. See their response here.

99.9% sure they're dragging out the gag. The announcement went up right at midnight UTC which is the time zone the site uses.

Also, as a practical/business matter they'd be under much, much higher scrutiny for their "fair use" practice of copyrighted material. Even if they won, the legal fees they'd probably incur (especially from defending against a notoriously litigious company like Disney) would be higher than the income they'd be likely to gain from making the site a paid service. They'd also lose pretty much every protection they currently have from the content being user generated.

Trying to monetize the site would be the single quickest way to kill it.

Edited by DarthDymond

99.9% sure they're dragging out the gag. The announcement went up right at midnight UTC which is the time zone the site uses.

Also, as a practical/business matter they'd be under much, much higher scrutiny for their "fair use" practice of copyrighted material. Even if they won, the legal fees they'd probably incur (especially from defending against a notoriously litigious company like Disney) would be higher than the income they'd be likely to gain from making the site a paid service. They'd also lose pretty much every protection they currently have from the content being user generated.

Trying to monetize the site would be the single quickest way to kill it.

I sure hope you're right about this. I always was a sucker for April Fools pranks... :p

I sure hope you're right about this. I always was a sucker for April Fools pranks... :p

Also making it a subscription site would probably be a direct violation of Wikia (their host's) Terms of Use/Wiki Creation Policy. And as one of Wikia's biggest Wikis (if not the single biggest altogether), they wouldn't exactly be able to skirt under the radar on that one.

They'd probably have to move off of Wikia altogether, and with over 109,000 pages... that'd be quite the undertaking.

Just /facepalm again...

How gullible can people be?

Obvious april's fool joke is obvious.

You seem like a very likeable person. :rolleyes:

And isn't that supposed to be the whole point behind April Fools? To fool people. Or am I missing something? :p

As if he hasn't made any mistakes in his life... :rolleyes:

OMG! I read it this morning on Wookieepedia that it would be a paybale service and that you can only look /search 10 articles in one month if you don't pay. :eek:

I withheld myself all day for not looking more then once on Wookieepedia so I would not exceed the 10 articels rule.

I do hope it is a April fool's joke so I can keep looking for info on it whenever I want! :p

If it is a joke it's a good one! :D

Edited by Moemoeng