The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Has the Graphic Engine Been Downgraded?

Lecaja

This could be my imagination, but I could have sworn when I last played in late November of 2013 the graphics looked a lot better. I'm using the same computer on ultra high settings so it should look the same. I know this might come off as a troll post but it's an honest question. I already paid for the month, so it's not like I have anything to gain by trashing the game.

I haven't noticed anything change, but then again I dont play on maxxed settings. Though I will ask, have you been playing any newer, or ultra-polished games in your leave of absence? If so, it might just be a difference in perspective.

I think they screwed up shadows again. There was a patch last year some time I think it was that improved the smoothness of the shadows, eliminating some of the jaggyness they had. It seemed to look better for awhile, then a few months back it seemed to magically disappear, well not entirely, they still look better than they did in the early days, but they did seem to regain some of their jaggyness. And I particularly hate in certain cutscene lighting situations how people's faces will have these weird pixelated shadows all over them. Maybe it's the nVidia drivers, or more likely, it's the terrible engine at work again.

There was a font change a little while back, both for Flytext and UI stuff and especially for Flytext it made the resolution go down (maybe just my perception of it).

Also there has been a shift, since the original dev team of SWTOR, in the art direction of skill tree talents and ability icons to a more cartoony, glowy, rounded, brighter coloured style with fewer black lines (Force in Balance, Trauma Probe, any new talent icons are obvious to the 1.0 player eye).