The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Does it level you faster?

CKCGang

Technically, doing quests and killing mobs is always faster xp than playing GSF. But...it's definitely decent xp, and it's a great distraction from leveling/grinding.

My main complaint with doing this is you don't have access to the daily GSF quests while you're questing about, but otherwise it's good stuff.

I am trying to think of the fastest way to level up, and im tired of level grinding around dromund Kaas. Does Galactic starfighter level you faster?

I found buy the legacy character XP unlocks (FPs, Warzone, Class Quest, Exploring, GSF) help. (only buying the ones you do of course!).

If you have a high level that can grind credits from dailies and then mail them to your low level you can max out the class quest and exploring XP boosts. I recommend maxing those out first. Class quests, being finite, means you want to get the max XP you can get from them since at the minimum you'll do those even if you skip all the other planetary quests. Since exploring XP occurs by simply going across a map to complete your class quests (and a place can only be explored once) you'll also want to max out those XP gains.

Overall while they might not eliminate the grind entirely those legacy XP boosts will help maximize the XP you get from each activity. If GSF is something you enjoy I'd say give it a try to supplement doing FPs and class quests.

Edited by Gavin_Kelvar

Yes it is faster by a large degree! You can queue for GSF at level 1!. I was left Ty around level 19 just questing and staying in GSF queue. If you don't really like GSF you can run Black Talon about 5-10 times and gain about 4-6 levels before you even step on DK.

Not sure what you mean by grinding on DK, questing itself levels you pretty quick without having to run around killing boars all day.

Pacing overall seems pretty even, but the big thing imo is you're accumulating points for 'gear' that you'll be able to use no matter what level when doing GSF, and you seem to accumulate cash faster as well.

One of many alts is a guardian I'd largely ignored for months (other than crew skill missions - he's one of my 450 slicers), because I absolutely hate the playstyle (which, of course, is an entirely separate discussion for an entirely different forum). So of late, I've been trying to level him exclusively via GSF, figuring this way, I can easily blast through his class quests later. Because he's my only knight, and I do want to see that storyline.

Over three weeks of doing this - just weeklies/dailies, plus maybe an additional 2-3 matches a day - he's gone from 32 to 37. Not a huge jump, but it's a really minimal amount of time I've invested here. Most of my playtime has been on two of my other alts; this guy is basically an afterthought.

So, yeah, I'd say it's a pretty decent way to comfortably/effortlessly level, as long as you enjoy GSF. I'm sure if I spent a ton of time flying with this guy, he'd advance a lot faster, but I'm happy with the progress I've made thus far. Plus sometimes it's kinda fun playing incognito on a mostly un-upgraded ship. My main GSF alt is fairly well-recognized on my server, I think (which is a reflection of the time I've put in on him, certainly not any indication of skill).

I leveled a toon with pretty much only GSF.

I stayed up on the fleet, took me approx 1.5 months.

A neat side effect was that when you level a character without spending any of the money on progression, apparently you will end up a multimillionaire by the time you hit 55, because I sure did.

I had another toon on the go, for him I was doing the same thing, only this time with the legacy exp. unlocks.

Shot up to the mid thirties before I knew what hit me, but then gave up on this as the queue times started to outweigh the actual play time too much to be bothered counting on it.

In the end, I would advise against doing this.

I think just making an effort to have the daily on hand and being in the queue whenever possible while going through the game normally is the best route, due to the increasing wait times in between matches.