Idea for a guild: Does this already exist?

white_daemon

Most guilds demand their members be polite and respectful. But are there any guilds whose sole purpose is the improvement of the server's community? i.e. showing new members the ropes, lending advice, and generally encouraging players to be more considerate of each other?

I realize that there are many good people on this server, and that there are many good guilds as well. But what I'm talking about is a guild whose members enjoy helping others out above all else. Does such a guild exist already?

Most guilds demand their members be polite and respectful. But are there any guilds whose sole purpose is the improvement of the server's community? i.e. showing new members the ropes, lending advice, and generally encouraging players to be more considerate of each other?

I realize that there are many good people on this server, and that there are many good guilds as well. But what I'm talking about is a guild whose members enjoy helping others out above all else. Does such a guild exist already?

A couple of the players in my guild back on WoW set up a guild like this, turned out to be an overall pretty decent idea. They provided advice on a wide range of topics and even took it a few steps further to having members of the guild camp out in the Starting Zones to hand out "Welcome Packages" to new and returning players.

Useful things like starter Green gear, bags, potions, etc.

If you start something like this, I'd be happy to donate equipment and consumables.

<Eclipse Squadron> is pretty focused on the overall health of the Galactic Starfighter community on TEH. We compete with the Republic for sure, but for the most part we try to use more honorable tactics (no spawn camping, no 3-capping when it's not required for victory, etc.). We want both factions to have healthy GSF populations.

And our guild is pretty much open to anyone who wants to join, and all members have access to our build and strategy forums.

The only person I ever removed from the guild was due to her being antagonistic and intentionally provocative, even though she was one of the better pilots we've had.

Granted, I'm sure you're looking for a more general purpose, broad guild. But I did want to call out that even some of us space PvPers do care about everyone having some measure of fun. :)

I've seen a few guilds in my time with MMOs that have tried to do that. If you want to give it a go, more power to you. Just be careful of people that want free rides, purposefully leach off you, people that pretend to be new to get free stuff, and the list pretty much goes on. Any conceivable method of abusing your system can and will be used. So you will need to be careful doing it or you'll get walked all over.

I try to be helpful to people where I can, I'll give advice where it's needed if people ask, just using common sense with it. If you do, be careful giving it out without being asked first else you might come across as rude, though usually there are plenty of questions being asked, so you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Though as I said before, just mind your feet, the internet has it's own breeds of dick moves. lol

As far as I know, no, however, I think this would be a great addition to Ebon Hawk!

...you know, I wonder if there should be a GSF branch for something like this...a guild specifically intended to show new pilots the ropes in a cockpit.

"To have fun and help others do the same."

From our website:

In brief, our principles are:

Have fun!

Help each other.

Cooperate as team.

Service to the greater good, group and guild.

So, yes there are a lot of helpful guilds out there, some focus more on PvP, RP and PvE- not all guilds are exactly the same. Honestly, my guild is like one big family to me. We've been together as NOR since 1992 through out dozens of games. I joined in 2007. :)

Saberwing fits this idea as well.

We've hosted fleet datacron nights and have started story mode ops for any new 50 on fleet and walk them through how to do it.

Granted, most of us haven't been around like we were (spring hits our guild hard) but the heart is there.

Hats off again to New OutRiders - they'll help anyone out too!