The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

some very quiet people that you meet in the game

plotenox

you must be new to mmos and online multiplayer games. in general

i shrug off and forget such thing 3 minutes after i meet the guy

I played some of them in the last 5 years or so,but I guess thats kind of newish. heh

Still I find it all strange and wonder how common this really is and I'm guessing you witnessed this kind of thing too.

My thought is that people who group you and don't talk, are, well, users. You're good enough to help. but not good enough to talk to. I tend to drop the group pretty quickly now it there's no interaction.

Nooo! As a person with social anxiety this is one of my fears when I group up for flashpoints or heroics. I'm not a big talker. At all. The extent of my communications in groups are greetings, and thank-yous at the end. Occasionally if we're stumbling or someone is new to whatever we're doing I'll help guide 'em through it, giving small encouragements along the way. Anyway, whenever I join a FP the thought in the front of my head is always, "Crap what if they think I'm an jerk because I'm not talking??". I'm not being a douchebag, I swear! I'm just weirdly freaked out by talking to others. Hell, it takes me a good thirty minutes just to muster up the courage to submit a reply in a thread!

All I want is to do the dailies in peace without nearly losing my mind wondering if others are judging me for whatever reason. I wish it were easier to explain to people that even on the internet, I'm still affected by my anxiety. Don't know why I am, but I am. Thankfully I've come outta my shell a bit since I started playing back at launch. Back then I literally did not speak to anyone in-game. ^_^'"'

I play with the chat window set on "Other" setting, so I do not see what other people would say to me, just the PVE dialogues. I do not throw invites, but I accept sometimes. However, if I would forgot to switch the chat window to General, I simply would not see what another player is saying.

Also, when I try typing in Chat window it messes up with the game. I played long distance with my husband yesterday and totally fell behind before I figured out I was typing endless "wwwwww" instead of walking. It takes efforts to 'unstick' out of the chat window...

Does this help?

Edited by DomiSotto

Sociophobia exists as well.

I have a problem in real live like that but in game at times you can't shut me up is how I over come it I play games. but in real live i tend to not say any thing to any one in public because of that and one other health issue i have, I've had sense i was 18 I'm about to be 58 :) . I'm not lieing when i had my first attack i would not expect it, i was in the hosp for a year .

it under control now, I'm still afraid to out in public form time to time but do because i know its good to . but for some reason playing online games make me come out of it and I talk .

Edited by tanktest

Honestly, I think your answer is a blend of most of things suggested by other people. Though I highly doubt these people are gold farmers.

I've seen this in a few MMO's, Tor, WoW, Perfect World, MU. For the most part I chalk it up to older (as in well established, not age ) players running their alts. If most of these 'silent invites' are happening around heavy quest objectives, it is probably just these older players grouping up with you real quick so you aren't fighting each other for spawns.

Some of these invites can also be from extremely new players. People who are also probably new to the game genre as well as the game and could be toying around with the game functions. Or they misunderstand how the grouping works, thinking that they may earn loot and xp from your kills even if you are on the other side of the map.

Some of it is also probably trolling. A week or so ago I was on Nar Shadaa on my new toon. Knocking out quests and what not. I got a random invite as I was leaving the safe zone, and I had a few group quests, so I said what the hell. When I looked at the person who invited me... he was 5-8 levels lower than me (though I was over leveled for the area so he may have been on point) both he and his companion were 'naked' except for their weapons, but he was still trying to go after quest objectives. I tried to get a response out of him a few times, finally, after I stopped killing things for him he simply said 'Take your top off.' - Not even a good attempt at trolling, just weird.

Fact of the matter is everyone has strange little quirks and assumptions. You'll probably never know the why of each instance, but you can make assumptions based on the context, and that is about as good as you will ever get.

I don't normally talk much. I remember when I was still in school my best friend and I would be on the phone, doing whatever we were doing on the other end, with the occasional comment to each other we could be on the phone for well over an hour with barely a word said. I'm pretty much the same in game.

If someone says hello, I'll greet them back. Yesterday was probably the first time I actively spoke in a group. Ended up healing normal Directive 7 with a group that no one knew the fights, so I was explaining it. Figured I'd leave it as that but everyone was following instructions so well I offered to re-queue if they wanted to.

I'm quiet over vent/team speak as well. Being Australian I have had too many Americans ask "Say something Aussie" to the point I refuse to speak in it unless I'm speaking to another Australian, even then it'll take me a while to be comfortable with them.

In my case, I'm in a random group to complete a quest/flashpoint not to chat, I save that for general chat once I'm done. Sure I'll give the obligatory "Hello" alongside everyone else at the beginning, but I prefer to stay mute after that and just get the job done.

I'll use my mic when discussing strategy. Otherwise I just type 'hi' and go about doing my job.

I'm sure some folks out there get mighty insecure around silent/mute players but, as the smuggler is fond of saying, that's just the way the flatcake crumbles.

Edited by Projawa

I think some of you may be over-thinking this. I can only cite my own experiences.

If I'm trying to do a quest as fast as possible (leveling an alt for example) and I see you killing the same mobs as me, especially if you're the same level and thus probably on the same quest, I'll send you an invite just to get the mobs down faster. If you accept, cool. If not, that's cool too. It's fast, efficient, and we can go our separate ways at any time.

In this case there is no need for us to talk. You can easily see if we have the same quest by looking at your map. And you can see if we're killing the same enemies just by watching me. I'm not trying to be your buddy, and I'm definitely not taking the time to tell you about my quest. Nothing personal but that would be a waste of my time, which would be fine if I'm taking it slowly, but not if my goal is speed.

Almost year ago i had a weird bug - i couldn't type anything in chat. I could send text information only via mail. I played like this for month. I had to communicate with ingame emotions.

Month ago i had other bug, with my system this time - i couldn't change my language in the system and all i typed was in funny but unsupported square-like symbols. Because you know, cyrilic fonts still not supported.