The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tying things together, perhaps untold stories for the Imperial Royal Guard

ZionHalcyon

So, if people haven't gotten the word by now, the EU is being pretty much chucked out the window, yet poured over and the best elements from it brought into what is going to be a new, cohesive continuity. What this means is you will have say, Grand Admiral Thrawn, but he won't be called Thrawn, he'll be called something else, yet the character itself will remain intact. The reasoning for this apparently has to do with the movies and opening up some characters to be used while avoiding litigation over some of the names who's rights I believe in part belong to the authors who created them. So you get Mara Jade without her being called Mara Jade, etc.

Anyway, with them going through all of it, it means a fresh start for a lot of things, as the only things confirmed as canon in the new universe are the movies and The Clone Wars TV show - everything else is up for review.

So that's the backstory that got me thinking:

Would it be interesting to tie in a couple of things together?

Here's where I am going with this, and I admit, it is based off entirely of a certain aesthetic. If you look at the helmets of the Imperial Royal Guard of Emperor Palpatine, they have some STRONG similarities to the KOTOR Mandalorian Helmets.

http://images.costumes.net/products/10012/1-2/supreme-imperial-royal-guard-costume.jpg

http://customstarwars.x3.hu/kotor2/mandalorian_kotor.jpg

So we know in history, Revan defeated Mandalore and secured their services to become part of his army.

What if, at some point, we got a story of Sidious doing the same? As in, this is how we go from the Blue Guards to the Red ones, and the Imperial Royal Guard are actually Mandalorian BodyGuards, Loyal to Palpatine because he defeated the current Mandalore?

Anyway, just an idea, but thought it would be fascinating, plus would connect the current saga to the old republic era.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

The Imperial Royal Guards helmets are more akin to the Sun Guards helmets who were a Sith cult on the planet Thyrsus.

See?

Which are based off of the Senate Guard helmets as shown here.

Then all that goes to show the helmet we see of the Imperial Royal Guards shown here

At the start members of the Senate Commandos/Sun Guard became apart of Palps Royal Guard and then it started being members from top Imperial Stormtrooper squads.

Shown here

So...I think it's fine the way it is really. Don't really see the need for a change.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

So, if people haven't gotten the word by now, the EU is being pretty much chucked out the window, yet poured over and the best elements from it brought into what is going to be a new, cohesive continuity. What this means is you will have say, Grand Admiral Thrawn, but he won't be called Thrawn, he'll be called something else, yet the character itself will remain intact. The reasoning for this apparently has to do with the movies and opening up some characters to be used while avoiding litigation over some of the names who's rights I believe in part belong to the authors who created them. So you get Mara Jade without her being called Mara Jade, etc.
If people haven't gotten the word by now, these are rumors and the fate of the post-ROTJ is speculation at this point.

Great, yet another article making speculations out of fact and passing it off as truth. Don't trust everything you read on the internet please. This is all we know so far about the purpose of the Story Group:

Star Wars Canon is now determined by the Lucasfilm Story Group which [Pablo Hidalgo] and I are both a part of.

Story Group has a hand in all facets of Star Wars storytelling, including movies, TV, games, and publishing. More so than ever, the canon field will serve us internally simply for classification rather than setting hierarchy.

[Disposing of the hierarchy and having one cohesive canon is] definitely a primary goal of the Story Group.

--Taken from Leland Chee's Twitter.

And here is a less biased and from a far more reliable source. And here is another.

Nowhere has it been said that the EU is going to be "chucked out the window" and that only the best elements will be kept but under different names, this is mere rumor at this point. Its possible the latter could be true, but lets not start treating it as fact when it hasn't been confirmed. Let's also stop with the 'EU is dead' crap already. It's getting old.

Edited by Beniboybling