The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Are female Sith overall, smarter than female Jedi?

Slowpokeking

Although there were some reckless ones like Thana, but overall there are far many more female Sith manipulators than smart female Jedi. Female Sith like Darth Traya, Darth Zash, Darth Zannah are master manipulators, Aleema was also very cunning. Quite a few of them also love to charm others and lure them to the Dark Side. but even legendary Jedi women like Nomi or Satele weren't very smart.

Did any female jedi use their charm to bring dark jedi or sith back to the light side?

Although there were some reckless ones like Thana, but overall there are far many more female Sith manipulators than smart female Jedi. Female Sith like Darth Traya, Darth Zash, Darth Zannah are master manipulators, Aleema was also very cunning. Quite a few of them also love to charm others and lure them to the Dark Side. but even legendary Jedi women like Nomi or Satele weren't very smart.

Did any female jedi use their charm to bring dark jedi or sith back to the light side?

Aayla Secura, Shaak Ti, Meetra Surik, Marasiah Fel, Jaina Solo, Tahiri Veila, Mara Jade Skywalker, Leia Solo, Saba Sabeyte, Tenel Ka Djo, Bastila Shan, Ahsoka Tano, Luminara Unduli, Cilghal, etc... would like to have a word with you.

No character is perfect and I could name you more than a dozen ways each of your examples pale in comparison to the Jedi I just mentioned.

Oh, and your examples could use work. Aside from Traya, I could name you several more powerful and successful manipulative sith women than those.

So, no. They aren't smarter, or even necessarily better manipulators. It might just seem that way because they tend to have more cause and opportunities to display these characteristics. Well that, and perhaps they're willing to "do" more to achieve their ends. But that doesn't make them "smarter" or more powerful. btw, Nomi Sunrider saw through force illusions, found the Sith sorceress Aleema Keto with her mind during a battle and smashed her illusions apart winning the battle for the republic. Don't dis the Sunrider... :D

Also, not all women are "master manipulators" who "charm and lure", some would be just as happy bashing your face in. That hardly makes them stupid.

Edited by StarSquirrel

Aayla Secura, Shaak Ti, Meetra Surik, Marasiah Fel, Jaina Solo, Tahiri Veila, Mara Jade Skywalker, Leia Solo, Saba Sabeyte, Tenel Ka Djo, Bastila Shan, Ahsoka Tano, Luminara Unduli, Cilghal, etc... would like to have a word with you.

No character is perfect and I could name you more than a dozen ways each of your examples pale in comparison to the Jedi I just mentioned.

Oh, and your examples could use work. Aside from Traya, I could name you several more powerful and successful manipulative sith women than those.

So, no. They aren't smarter, or even necessarily better manipulators. It might just seem that way because they tend to have more cause and opportunities to display these characteristics. Well that, and perhaps they're willing to "do" more to achieve their ends. But that doesn't make them "smarter" or more powerful. btw, Nomi Sunrider saw through force illusions, found the Sith sorceress Aleema Keto with her mind during a battle and smashed her illusions apart winning the battle for the republic. Don't dis the Sunrider... :D

Also, not all women are "master manipulators" who "charm and lure", some would be just as happy bashing your face in. That hardly makes them stupid.

Nicely put.

I don't see these girls are smart, compare to the Sith manipulators. Especially the prequel Jedi. Lumiya could lure Jacen to the Dark Side, but even Mara, who was trained by Sidious could not turn him back.

As for the case of Nomi and Aleema, that's power, not intelligence. Sure, Nomi could beat Aleema, but she could not turn Ulic back from her.

Edited by Slowpokeking

I don't see these girls are smart, compare to the Sith manipulators. Especially the prequel Jedi. Lumiya could lure Jacen to the Dark Side, but even Mara, who was trained by Sidious could not turn him back.

As for the case of Nomi and Aleema, that's power, not intelligence. Sure, Nomi could beat Aleema, but she could not turn Ulic back from her.

Leia brought Luke back from the Dark Side, Jaina manipulated galactic leaders routinely (Jagged Fel, Kyp Duron, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo), Bastila Shan brought back Revan (perhaps indirectly), Tenel Ka redeemed Jacen, Meetra beat Traya, Sion, AND Nihilus, Jaina Solo also brought back several young jedi from the dark side MULTIPLE TIMES.

As for Jacen... Verge corrupted him long before Lumiya ever showed up. Read the books, he was very different before he ever met her she just served as a catalyst. Mara is not inept, she wasn't trying to redeem Jacen she specifically went out to kill him (again, read the book).

And yes, it takes immensely powerful mental strength to see through illusions AND find AND mentally dominate a sith sorceress WHILE directing a battle. She didn't have the leverage with Ulic that Aleema did, and by that time there were factors at work beyond just Aleema that prevented Nomi from saving Ulic. It should also be pointed out at Nomi won the whole shabang anywho so...

I can go on with the achievements of the Jedi women if you're like. I'll even make a bullet point list for you, just say the word.

Edited by StarSquirrel

Leia brought Luke back from the Dark Side, Jaina manipulated galactic leaders routinely (Jagged Fel, Kyp Duron, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo), Bastila Shan brought back Revan (perhaps indirectly), Tenel Ka redeemed Jacen, Meetra beat Traya, Sion, AND Nihilus, Jaina Solo also brought back several young jedi from the dark side MULTIPLE TIMES.

And there are many more famous Jedi brought to the Dark Side by the female Sith. Darth Traya almost annihilated the Jedi order with her skill of manipulation and used Meetra to finish off her apprentice.

Bastila Shan herself was turned to the Dark Side. Beat had little to do with intelligence, she was used by Traya and she was special so Nihilus could not drain her.

As for Jacen... Verge corrupted him long before Lumiya ever showed up. Read the books, he was very different before he ever met her she just served as a catalyst. Mara is not inept, she wasn't trying to redeem Jacen she specifically went out to kill him (again, read the book).

Because she couldn't do it anymore.

Oh yeah, Vergere was already starting to corrupt Jacen during the Vong War.

And yes, it takes immensely powerful mental strength to see through illusions AND find AND mentally dominate a sith sorceress WHILE directing a battle. She didn't have the leverage with Ulic that Aleema did, and by that time there were factors at work beyond just Aleema that prevented Nomi from saving Ulic. It should also be pointed out at Nomi won the whole shabang anywho so...

I can go on with the achievements of the Jedi women if you're like. I'll even make a bullet point list for you, just say the word.

Again, you are going off topic about power than intelligence. Intelligence had nothing to do with mental strength.

What factor? She had no problem to let the Jedi bring Ulic back, to keep him away from the corruption, but she chose to leave Ulic, which resulted Ulic to become the second in command of the Sith Brotherhood and started a bloody war, also caused himself to kill his own brother and suffered forever, that, was clearly not a wise choice.

Sure there are some smart Jedi women, but Nomi is a very bad example.

Edited by Slowpokeking

And there are many more famous Jedi brought to the Dark Side by the female Sith. Darth Traya almost annihilated the Jedi order with her skill of manipulation and used Meetra to finish off her apprentice.

Bastila Shan herself was turned to the Dark Side. Beat had little to do with intelligence, she was used by Traya and she was special so Nihilus could not drain her.

I did say "aside from Traya" didn't I? Even so, if we take a close look... Ah there, Meetra kills Traya? That's not right is it? Oh, wait, it is *giggle*. Not only that, she redeems her to boot apparently (haven't played KOTOR 2 but I think that's right)

Because she couldn't do it anymore.

No, because her kid was falling to the Dark Side and she was pissed. At that point she just didn't care enough about him to try. If anything, she freakin manipulated the hell out of Jacen. She gave him a situation where Jacen dies (or gets redeemed) or he loses Ben as his Sith apprentice. And guess what, Mara's death is what turns Ben (Leia and Jaina help as well)

Oh yeah, Vergere was already starting to corrupt Jacen during the Vong War.

Here is where I mention Verge wasn't ever a sith, in fact she was a jedi even.

Again, you are going off topic about power than intelligence. Intelligence had nothing to do with mental strength.

What factor? She had no problem to let the Jedi bring Ulic back, to keep him away from the corruption, but she chose to leave Ulic, which resulted Ulic to become the second in command of the Sith Brotherhood and started a bloody war, also caused himself to kill his own brother and suffered forever, that, was clearly not a wise choice.

Sure there are some smart Jedi women, but Nomi is a very bad example.

I never said she was, in fact I dismissed your examples in my very first reply. That said, mental strength and intelligence are correlated and you just see what you'd like to. There are plenty of examples of smart decisions she makes, and bad decisions. I haven't read the comics in a while though so I can't speak directly to her interaction with Ulic in that particular example.

]I did say "aside from Traya" didn't I? Even so, if we take a close look... Ah there, Meetra kills Traya? That's not right is it? Oh, wait, it is *giggle*. Not only that, she redeems her to boot apparently (haven't played KOTOR 2 but I think that's right)

Because Traya was trying to using her to achieve the goal, if she wanted Meetra dead and play a chess game, Meetra is no match for her.

No, because her kid was falling to the Dark Side and she was pissed. At that point she just didn't care enough about him to try. If anything, she freakin manipulated the hell out of Jacen. She gave him a situation where Jacen dies (or gets redeemed) or he loses Ben as his Sith apprentice. And guess what, Mara's death is what turns Ben (Leia and Jaina help as well)

Well she didn't truly manipulate Jacen well, but was tricked and murdered by Jacen. That's not what she wanted to see.

Here is where I mention Verge wasn't ever a sith, in fact she was a jedi even.[/color]

She was using the Sith training and planning to corrupt Jacen, only turned back to the light in the end.

I [/b]never said she was, in fact I dismissed your examples in my very first reply. That said, mental strength and intelligence are correlated and you just see what you'd like to. There are plenty of examples of smart decisions she makes, and bad decisions. I haven't read the comics in a while though so I can't speak directly to her interaction with Ulic in that particular example.[

Ah, no. Mental Strength, like Battle Mediation is about talent, it has nothing to do with a person is smart or not.

Aleema turned Ulic to her side by using her charm but Nomi not only couldn't turn him back, but also gave up the chance to save him. That's one of her few "big moment" and she screwed it.

Because Traya was trying to using her to achieve the goal, if she wanted Meetra dead and play a chess game, Meetra is no match for her.

Meetra won, Traya was too stupid (if we're going by "your" apparent scale) to realize what would eventually happen if Meetra played her game and won (which she did). Look, you can argue that one till you're blue in the face, but as smart as Traya was, she couldn't stop Meetra (who she was supposedly playing from the start) from killing her.

Well she didn't truly manipulate Jacen well, but was tricked and murdered by Jacen. That's not what she wanted to see.

She knew she was going to die. You seriously didn't read the book did you? The note to Luke, her thoughts leading up to the fight etc... how could you not tell? She knew she'd die, and that it's save Ben. God are you blind?

She was using the Sith training and planning to corrupt Jacen, only turned back to the light in the end.

No, no she wasn't. She was using her own philosophy crafted by decades of being under Vong rule to mess wit him. And she was utterly loony if you couldn't tell.

Understand, nothing she said was meant to make him a Sith. It was meant to help him survive. Unintended consequences, nothing more.

Ah, no. Mental Strength, like Battle Mediation is about talent, it has nothing to do with a person is smart or not.

Aleema turned Ulic to her side by using her charm but Nomi not only couldn't turn him back, but also gave up the chance to save him. That's one of her few "big moment" and she screwed it.

How one uses it is. Also, why is it Nomi's fault if she didn't use "charm" to "lure" him back. I don't think a smitten man would be as affected by the wiles of a second woman. It just doesn't make sense.

Besides, the Light Side isn't about manipulation, treachery, and seduction. Them be the ways of a Sith Lord.

You make a few errors I could perhaps correct. Jedi don't seduce, because it is process meant to deceive, trick, and manipulate. All these are not Jedi characteristics. That doesn't make women who don't flaunt their physical or emotional control over certain men stupid for not doing so, they're just sticking by their beliefs.

Its like saying Jedi are stupid because they don't control galactic politics like the Sith to ensure they are never deposed...

Besides, the Light Side isn't about manipulation, treachery, and seduction. Them be the ways of a Sith Lord.

You make a few errors I could perhaps correct. Jedi don't seduce, because it is process meant to deceive, trick, and manipulate. All these are not Jedi characteristics. That doesn't make women who don't flaunt their physical or emotional control over certain men stupid for not doing so, they're just sticking by their beliefs.

Its like saying Jedi are stupid because they don't control galactic politics like the Sith to ensure they are never deposed...

So we are back on track, gladly. We shouldn't waste time on details.

Sure I won't say it's the individual's own intelligence, but mostly the different training. Jedi training doesn't have that much to do with manipulation and tricks while some of the Jedi use them. They were mostly focused on resist seduction of darkness and combat technique, some learned diplomacy.

Sith, are very different. Manipulation, deception and seduction are very important to their training, almost as important as their force technique. The female Sith also knew to make themselves beautiful and use this as their advantage to achieve their goals.

I'm not saying they are stupid, but Sith, overall, are smarter than them mostly due to their discipline and training. The Jedi training either didn't develop their potential or shackled their thoughts sometimes. That's why Jedi like Mara, who was trained by Palpatine as his personal spy, wasn't bothered by it that much.

Is it useful? Sure the Sith went too far, but sometimes even to the good guys, these things are useful. Is it wrong or bad, for a female Jedi to seduce a dark jedi or even a sith, eventually brought them back to the light side? I won't say it's wrong, it's for the greater good.

Edited by Slowpokeking

[quote=Slowpokeking;7270216

I have to ask, where would Vergere get Sith training if she was a Jedi who willingly lived with the Vong. She had no access to Sith teachings. I do not see how she used Sith training to corrupt Jacen.

Also, just because some Sith women manipulated people does not mean they are smarter than Jedi women. Jedi and Sith have different views and philosophies. For every Sith who could manipulate there was a Jedi who could see through it. There were just as many smart Jedi as Sith, if not more considering the Jedi did not kill each other.

Traya was smart, yes. But could she have pulled off her plans if the Jedi Order was stronger and Meetra had not been cut off from the Force? Perhaps it was Meetra who played Traya in order to get her Force powers back. Ever think of that?

Edited by Kilikaa

So we are back on track, gladly. We shouldn't waste time on details.

Sure I won't say it's the individual's own intelligence, but mostly the different training. Jedi training doesn't have that much to do with manipulation and tricks while some of the Jedi use them. They were mostly focused on resist seduction of darkness and combat technique, some learned diplomacy.

Sith, are very different. Manipulation, deception and seduction are very important to their training, almost as important as their force technique. The female Sith also knew to make themselves beautiful and use this as their advantage to achieve their goals.

I'm not saying they are stupid, but Sith, overall, are smarter than them mostly due to their discipline and training. The Jedi training either didn't develop their potential or shackled their thoughts sometimes. That's why Jedi like Mara, who was trained by Palpatine as his personal spy, wasn't bothered by it that much.

Is it useful? Sure the Sith went too far, but sometimes even to the good guys, these things are useful. Is it wrong or bad, for a female Jedi to seduce a dark jedi or even a sith, eventually brought them back to the light side? I won't say it's wrong, it's for the greater good.

Refusing to use a tool they don't need or aren't willing to use because they're just plain better people doesn't make them less intelligent. Also, the Sith are far less disciplined than any jedi. They're prone to bouts of frustration, anger, overconfidence, fits of rage, and temporary insanity even. They act irrationally and lash out without cause because they're overcome with emotion and funnel chaos every time they use the force.

Seriously, the Dark Side is all about chaos, emotion, and acting without thought. Discipline is a Jedi trait through and through.

Whah? Why are we focusing on the women anyway? Or has nobody noticed that the top Sith are almost always smarter than their Jedi counterparts. Its in their mandate to manipulate and scheme, of course they are more intelligent.

Or are we forgetting about Darth Jadus, Vowrawn, Baras, Malgus and the Sith Emperor himself?

And then outside of the OR era we've got Plagueis, Sidious, Bane, Tenebrous, Dooku and even Vader.

Heck if anything the men are beating the women! Though I'd say Jedi women have collectively more smarts than their dumb male counterparts who sometimes are like seriously stupid. I'm looking at you Vrook.

Lol, what a weird and dumb question.

Edited by Beniboybling

Whah? Why are we focusing on the women anyway? Or has nobody noticed that the top Sith are almost always smarter than their Jedi counterparts. Its in their mandate to manipulate and scheme, of course they are more intelligent.

Or are we forgetting about Darth Jadus, Vowrawn, Baras, Plagueis, Malgus and the Sith Emperor himself?

And then outside of the OR era we've got Plagueis, Sidious, Bane, Tenebrous, Dooku and even Vader.

^This.

(Though you forgot Palpatine and mentioned Plagueis twice.) Edit: Somehow I missed that you mentioned Sidious....

@Slowpokeking:

I think many writers are hesitant to write manipulative Jedi because it doesn't seem something light siders would do. But I disagree on that, the Star Wars universe could use more manipulative Jedi.

I remember one extremely manipulative and smart female Jedi, Master Quatra. We don't know much about her, but she apparently made Juhani fall to the dark side and let her be redeemed afterwards to teach her about the dark side. (She also faked her death in the process.) I didn't like her approach when playing KotOR, but it does fit your criteria.

Sidenote about Traya:

Meetra won, Traya was too stupid (if we're going by "your" apparent scale) to realize what would eventually happen if Meetra played her game and won (which she did). Look, you can argue that one till you're blue in the face, but as smart as Traya was, she couldn't stop Meetra (who she was supposedly playing from the start) from killing her.

Arguably both won. SPOILERS FOR KOTOR 2 If I understand Kreia correctly, her goals were (1) to show the Jedi masters that their teachings were wrong, (2) get Sion and Nihilus killed by Meetra, (3) make Meetra more powerful than herself and any of her apprentices (no matter if she chooses light side or dark side). (2) and (3) definitely succeeded, (1) is up for debate.

So Kreia's plan included to be bested by Meetra. I'm not sure if I would count her as a real Sith at this point anymore. While other Sith have tried to create an apprentice more powerful than themselves with the goal of being defeated by them, they all wanted their apprentice to carry on the Sith teachings. Kreia seems to be OK with Meetra staying a Jedi and rebuilding the Jedi Order. (I even get the impression that she is more proud of the Exile at the end when you play light side instead of dark side.)

Most of the above is only my interpretation of what she says, here goals are... difficult to understand.

Edited by Maaruin

Meetra did not 'win' because Traya wasn't trying to beat her. The Exile did exactly what Traya wanted her to do, including killing her. A testament to her manipulatively ability certainly, but not necessarily a dampener of the Exile's own intelligence considering that Traya and the Exile's goals were very much aligned. Traya helped her.

If you haven't played KOTOR 2 I can understand how you might reach that conclusion. You might find this interesting.

^This.

(Though you forgot Palpatine and mentioned Plagueis twice.)

@Slowpokeking:

I think many writers are hesitant to write manipulative Jedi because it doesn't seem something light siders would do. But I disagree on that, the Star Wars universe could use more manipulative Jedi.

I remember one extremely manipulative and smart female Jedi, Master Quatra. We don't know much about her, but she apparently made Juhani fall to the dark side and let her be redeemed afterwards to teach her about the dark side. (She also faked her death in the process.) I didn't like her approach when playing KotOR, but it does fit your criteria.

Yeah I mentioned Sidious, Plagueis was a typo oopsie.

And I agree, but I also think its simply because they are untested in this arena. Sith are given vast amounts of power and minions to control which forces them to flex their intellectual muscles, Jedi aren't put in these situations.

Sidenote about Traya:

Arguably both won. SPOILERS FOR KOTOR 2 If I understand Kreia correctly, her goals were (1) to show the Jedi masters that their teachings were wrong, (2) get Sion and Nihilus killed by Meetra, (3) make Meetra more powerful than herself and any of her apprentices (no matter if she chooses light side or dark side). (2) and (3) definitely succeeded, (1) is up for debate.

So Kreia's plan included to be bested by Meetra. I'm not sure if I would count her as a real Sith at this point anymore. While other Sith have tried to create an apprentice more powerful than themselves with the goal of being defeated by them, they all wanted their apprentice to carry on the Sith teachings. Kreia seems to be OK with Meetra staying a Jedi and rebuilding the Jedi Order. (I even get the impression that she is more proud of the Exile at the end when you play light side instead of dark side.)

Most of the above is only my interpretation of what she says, here goals are... difficult to understand.

I agree with this, I also think she just wanted the Exile to be free to do whatever she wanted. Remember what she said about having "no regrets?" Whatever the Exile did she just wanted it to be her choice, not some destiny.

I certainly don't think she wanted to kill the Force yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, more shameless advertising of my thread. :p

Yeah I mentioned Sidious, Plagueis was a typo oopsie.

And I agree, but I also think its simply because they are untested in this arena. Sith are given vast amounts of power and minions to control which forces them to flex their intellectual muscles, Jedi aren't put in these situations.

And I read over Sidious, oopsie.

That is a good in universe reason, but I get the impression that overall the Jedi are much more similar to each other than the Sith. The Sith not only have more chessmasters, they also have more mindless brutes. My knowledge of the EU is limited, but only Traya, Sion and Nihilus seem to contain much more variaty than all the entire Jedi Order throughout history. Maybe there are more ways to be evil than good or maybe the writers are willing to take more risks with the Sith than the Jedi.

I agree with this, I also think she just wanted the Exile to be free to do whatever she wanted. Remember what she said about having "no regrets?" Whatever the Exile did she just wanted it to be her choice, not some destiny.

I certainly don't think she wanted to kill the Force yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, more shameless advertising of my thread. :p

I read it some time ago. I disagree on one point, but I probably should post it in that thread instead of here.

Edited by Maaruin

And I read over Sidious, oopsie.

That is a good in universe reason, but I get the impression that overall the Jedi are much more similar to each other than the Sith. The Sith not only have more chessmasters, they also have more mindless brutes. My knowledge of the EU is limited, but only Traya, Sion and Nihilus seem to contain much more variaty than all the entire Jedi Order throughout history. Maybe there are more ways to be evil than good or maybe the writers are willing to take more risks with the Sith than the Jedi.

This much is very true. But that also touches on the fact that Sith elevate individuals above the rest, while Jedi keeping everything at similar levels. Nobody gets "special treatment" so we don't see geniuses and masterminds all that often.

Refusing to use a tool they don't need or aren't willing to use because they're just plain better people doesn't make them less intelligent. Also, the Sith are far less disciplined than any jedi. They're prone to bouts of frustration, anger, overconfidence, fits of rage, and temporary insanity even. They act irrationally and lash out without cause because they're overcome with emotion and funnel chaos every time they use the force.

Seriously, the Dark Side is all about chaos, emotion, and acting without thought. Discipline is a Jedi trait through and through.

I can't agree.

Sure some Sith are hothead, but some Jedi are hothead, too. Overall, the Sith's philosophy and training is not to get driven by passion, but to use it as their tool to empower themselves. Most of the high rank Sith controls their emotion quite well. Unlike Jedi, who focus on suppress and resist their negative emotion, the Sith face their negative emotion, then learn and master them, also use other people's emotion to manipulate. Especially the Banite Sith.