The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Did Mace Windu fall to the dark side while battling Darth Sidious?

LtBombshell

I ask simply because I know that Vapaad is borderline Dark Side. As well, Mace Windu was insistent on killing Sidious, even though the "light side" choice would be to take him prisoner. Was Mace Windu right in wanting to kill Sidious then and there? Was he "too dangerous to be kept alive"?

Also, is there a chance we could see Mace Windu come back in VII-IX? Sure, we see him thrown out of a window, but we never actually see him die. Is there a chance he survived?

I ask simply because I know that Vapaad is borderline Dark Side. As well, Mace Windu was insistent on killing Sidious, even though the "light side" choice would be to take him prisoner. Was Mace Windu right in wanting to kill Sidious then and there? Was he "too dangerous to be kept alive"?

Also, is there a chance we could see Mace Windu come back in VII-IX? Sure, we see him thrown out of a window, but we never actually see him die. Is there a chance he survived?

The whole point of Vapaad is to be borderline Darkside. Windu is one of the only masters to even be capable of wielding it. In the fight with Sidious he isn't drawing power from the Darkside in the traditional sense of emotions fueled power, but rather he is reflecting Sidious's (the cannon most powerful Sith ever) power back giving Windu one hell of a power buzz. So no, he didn't fall and anything you see is his being amped up by Sidious's power.

As for what he said, he could feel Sidious's power, he knew the jedi wouldn't be able to hold him and knew that killing an incarnation of pure evil was his only recourse, yet even then he hesitated when Anakin walked in clearly showing he was still in control.

And no, no he is definitely dead at this point.

I have always thought that he *might* have - it seems that other primary Vaapad users eventually did.

Mace being the best at it would probably be most resistant - but fighting Sidious did push him to beyond his limits...

Also in the DVD commentary. George Lucas says that Anakin actually did the right thing in stopping Windu which again seems to indicate that he was not acting in a Jedi like manner (and was certainly being strongly motivated by fear and anger at that point..... and what does fear and anger lead to.....???)

However, because he died seconds later after this point it is hard to truly know - we would have to have seen his subsequent behaviour to see if he had fallen at all, fallen temporarily or had completely fallen.....

Also in the DVD commentary. George Lucas says that Anakin actually did the right thing in stopping Windu which again seems to indicate that he was not acting in a Jedi like manner (and was certainly being strongly motivated by fear and anger at that point..... and what does fear and anger lead to.....???)

So the instant where Anakin decided to betray the Order and go on to mass murder children and innocents was the 'right thing' eh? Oh well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, Lucas also thought that Han shooting the guy who wanted to kill him first made him an insane psychotic monster. :rolleyes:

So happy someone else gets to control SW now. :p

I think he would've fallen if he actually had managed to kill Sidious. He came dangerously close, but I think Anakin's interference inadvertently saved him; it screwed him physically, but saved him spiritually. I think Mace Windu died still a Jedi.

So the instant where Anakin decided to betray the Order and go on to mass murder children and innocents was the 'right thing' eh? Oh well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, Lucas also thought that Han shooting the guy who wanted to kill him first made him an insane psychotic monster. :rolleyes:

So happy someone else gets to control SW now. :p

Slippery slope, friend. Stopping Mace was the Jedi thing. He even disarmed him non-lethally instead of just going for a fatal blow like a dark sider would have. Everything else afterward...well.

• 1 month later...
I believe that Mace Windu did not fall and he would not have fallen if he had killed Palpatine. He was in control of his emotions and was acting for the good of the Republic. He is too devoted to preserving the Jedi, peace and the Republic to fall simply by killing someone to protect those things. He did try to kill Dooku on Geonosis.

In my opinion it would have been lightside to kill Sidious.

Such a statement is not in a Jedi's vocabulary.

Sidius was (seemingly) helpless and begging for his life.

No Jedi, no matter how close to the dark side he may stray, would strike down an enemy in that position.

No matter the repurcutions later on (he owns the courts ect...), never put passion before principle. That truly leads to the dark side. Anakin found this out to late.

If Windu had spared Sidius, Anakin would not have struck him down... Sidius would have been arrested. From there what happens, who knows. But Yoda never gave up his principles to such an extreme degree for a short term victory.

Windu was strong in the force but, at the moment of truth, he showed himself weak in character.

Attacking Mace Windu was not the first thing Anakin did that sealed his fate on the dark side... it was the last thing he did on the light side. He protected a prisoner from being murdered by a suddenly rogue Jedi (Windu).

We know in hindsight that Sidius was anything but helpless... but Skywalker and Windu thought he was.

Knowing what is right and doing what is right are not always exclusive.