Carnage - help me with controlling burst damage

sacdrannon

Hi everyone, I'm new to the game and currently have a 53 Juggernaut and a 47 Marauder. Everything below is regarding PVP.

I found that Vengeance Juggernaut's damage is very controllable, in the sense that I know when I can do damage and how to make that damage happen.

However on my Carnage Marauder I feel like I'm constantly hoping that my Execute procs so my scream can hit hard. To my understanding Massacre is the only way to trigger an Ataru strike on demand, but it still relies on RNG for the execute to actually proc. I guess what I'm asking is, how are Marauders suppose to do dmg in PVP? I can never get the third hit on ravage off unless I'm full white barred, or the enemy is unaware / his knockbacks are down. Asides from ravage I'm just spamming Gore / Massacre / Vicious throws and hoping for execute procs. What should I be doing instead?

Thanks.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the game and currently have a 53 Juggernaut and a 47 Marauder. Everything below is regarding PVP.

I found that Vengeance Juggernaut's damage is very controllable, in the sense that I know when I can do damage and how to make that damage happen.

However on my Carnage Marauder I feel like I'm constantly hoping that my Execute procs so my scream can hit hard. To my understanding Massacre is the only way to trigger an Ataru strike on demand, but it still relies on RNG for the execute to actually proc. I guess what I'm asking is, how are Marauders suppose to do dmg in PVP? I can never get the third hit on ravage off unless I'm full white barred, or the enemy is unaware / his knockbacks are down. Asides from ravage I'm just spamming Gore / Massacre / Vicious throws and hoping for execute procs. What should I be doing instead?

Thanks.

Use all your other skills, like a Deadly Throw, Obfuscate, Force Choke etc.

Thanks.

Read http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=724509 and you will understand being a Carnage Marauder better.

Thanks.

Wait for people to get distracted before starting to fight, Gore->Ravage on a target that's being tunneled by another player has better chances of landing. It mostly comes with practice but after a while there will be some sort of feeling as to when you CAN Ravage and not get interrupted. Now I guess you already know this but never use force scream without Execute, and if possible try to fit it in your Gore windows. If you see Gore has like less than 6 seconds till it comes off CD wait it out and use it with force scream and hopefully Vicious Throw it it's also up.

One thing you have to remember is that it's crucial to always stay on target, ABUSE Deadly Throw for the root and don't be afraid to use predation as soon as you have those 30 stacks of Fury. When Gore is on CD Spam Massacre, you'll usually get an Execute proc for each Gore Window if you do this. I know the rage management can be tight, but use Battering Assault if you see that you have less than 5-6 Rage and it's Off CD. Charging first into fights and expecting to land your burst is also a bad thing to do, wait a couple of seconds before engaging whoever it is.

You'll see that a properly played Carnage Marauder will pretty much outburst a Vengeance Jugg and is much harder to kite too. I agree that the spec feels quite clunky at first but it definitely gets better once you get it down properly. Still seeing how you marauder is only 47, you haven't gotten rid of all your rage management issues (You need Enraged Slash & Defensive forms for that) nor can you get 30 stacks of fury if you haven't gotten Short Fuse yet. Basically Carnage Gameplay get a lot better when you get the talents I just mentioned and your roots. And the roots part will not fully happen until lv 54.

Edited by Tevzz

Thanks for the replies, it's really helped.

I have another question regarding Obfuscate. I feel like half the time it does nothing.. maybe it's just me, but I like to use it on pretty much anyone as a defensive cooldown, but my opponents still seem to land every hit on me. Does it only decrease accuracy of special attacks?

Thanks for the replies, it's really helped.

I have another question regarding Obfuscate. I feel like half the time it does nothing.. maybe it's just me, but I like to use it on pretty much anyone as a defensive cooldown, but my opponents still seem to land every hit on me. Does it only decrease accuracy of special attacks?

It only works on white dmg attacks. No yellow (tech/force)