The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Advanced Prototype vs Pyrotech

Highallday

Currently level 40, on my Powertech. I've been swapping back and fourth between specs of Advanced Prototype and Pyrotech. A couple things between them leave me unsure of which to play with, as I find them both fun. Somethings I've noticed are:

AP:

+Good AoE

+Good Survivability

+Speed increase

+Bigger Crits on Railshot/Rocket Punch

-Bad Heat Management

-No Skill resetting Procs

-AoE Reliant on Enemies standing near, bunched, and stationary

Pyro:

+Skill Resetting Procs

+Longer Lasting DoT

+Flame Shield

+Better Kolto Overload

+Better Heat Management

-Numbers are seemingly lower, even when critting:mad:

These are only what I've seen, or experienced. Please give me some feed back.

Heres the basics for when you reach end-game:

AP:

Good AoE Damage

Good Passive Mitigation

Quick to Relocate

Much stronger Shoulder Cannon

Better Resource management (Immolate helps a lot here)

Pyro:

Good Single Target Damage (and by that I mean 100dps behind every non-sin class, but better than AP)

Amazing Active Mitigation (better than the tank tree -_-)

Ridiculous Mobility (97% of its damage can be done from 10 range while moving)

Much Stronger Rail Shot

However, both are just as viable as each other, so pick the spec depending on what you like. Do wait till 45 before you start choosing though cause Immolate is integral to the AP tree.

Also, technically Pyro has the hardest hitting crit ability for PTs: Crit Railshot with the 75% armor pen on a 20% armor debuffed target thats on fire in full dread forged while both relics are active and an attack adrenal will hit for about 11k - the highest AP can do in 1 hit is about 9.5k with an Immolate

Edited by TACeMossie

I appreciate the info on that. I know it'll help a lot once I hit 45, and then 55 when I can gain a moderate amount of Accuracy.

You need to be at least lvl 45 to have a sense of how trees work. I prefer AP for PvE. In PvP each spec has its advantages and disadvantages.

You need to be at least lvl 45 to have a sense of how trees work. I prefer AP for PvE. In PvP each spec has its advantages and disadvantages.

I see, I mostly PvP and I just seem to see better numbers, and live longer in AP, but as you've both said, I've yet to see what tree's can really do at 45.

Advanced Prototpype is the only reason I continue to sub to this game. It is the best class for the "Star Wars" Bounty Hunter.

Punching people in the face with a wrist blade and rail shot and consistent flame elemental damage at high numbers. Not to mention if you have both sets of gear (DPS/TANK) you are set with cylinders. Some scrubs just play games for numbers but it comes down to skill as well. ;)

I would love to duel another powertech with my spec lol. Amen on The Harbringer. Go ahead. I'm running in ranked and solo ranked, pug etc. As I said, only reason I keep subbing =)

Currently level 40, on my Powertech. I've been swapping back and fourth between specs of Advanced Prototype and Pyrotech. A couple things between them leave me unsure of which to play with, as I find them both fun. Somethings I've noticed are:

AP:

+Good AoE

+Good Survivability

+Speed increase

+Bigger Crits on Railshot/Rocket Punch

-Bad Heat Management

-No Skill resetting Procs

-AoE Reliant on Enemies standing near, bunched, and stationary

Pyro:

+Skill Resetting Procs

+Longer Lasting DoT

+Flame Shield

+Better Kolto Overload

+Better Heat Management

-Numbers are seemingly lower, even when critting:mad:

These are only what I've seen, or experienced. Please give me some feed back.

AP has ZERO heat issues and is more melee focused and depends on shield which is up I think every 45sec if you are being attacked.

Pyro is 10m other than rocket punch and depends on kolto also every 4x sec if you are being attacked. Pyro requires you use rapid shot (free attack) for heat and if the other guy manages to cleanse/mitigate your DoTs you will most likely overheat.

Both are really good and require you know how to manage your CD's. I play pyro and many games (especially arena) I have been called a one man army! The build drives people CRAZY because as you seem to be almost dead BOOM back to life...again focused almost dead..BOOM back to life...

Both can perma snare 50% which will drive players mad...I can kite melee and make them rage..

/agree

AP has ZERO heat issues and is more melee focused and depends on shield which is up I think every 45sec if you are being attacked.

Pyro is 10m other than rocket punch and depends on kolto also every 4x sec if you are being attacked. Pyro requires you use rapid shot (free attack) for heat and if the other guy manages to cleanse/mitigate your DoTs you will most likely overheat.

Both are really good and require you know how to manage your CD's. I play pyro and many games (especially arena) I have been called a one man army! The build drives people CRAZY because as you seem to be almost dead BOOM back to life...again focused almost dead..BOOM back to life...

Both can perma snare 50% which will drive players mad...I can kite melee and make them rage..