Separate accounts for my husband and I?

CoralToe

We wanted two accounts so in the event that we get another PC, we can play together. Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I had figured this must be the case - just seems wierd to have to buy 2 copies (or downloads) for 1 PC.

Each game has one license that goes to one account and one account is for a single person, it is like this for all games and I though common knowledge.

That's what everyone says.

Then someone deletes the other persons toon out of rage, the first person reports it, the account gets flagged, the GMs monitor the access and chat logs, the GMs determine that the account is being shared, and then the account is permabanned and no amount of emailing will ever get that overturned.

I alluded to it, but one of the reasons sharing accounts, even in the household, is not allowed is because it creates a ton more problems if the siblings or spouses or whatever get mad at the other person and delete stuff or mess up their toons, then the GMs have to fix it and everyone is impacted by the slowdown in ticket response times.

If it's *ever* found out that you share an account, you can and probably will be permabanned. I like to report people who brag about it on the forums and I'm not unique, so I suggest if anyone wants to cheat at the game in this way, that they never speak of it ever again.

By doing that you pretty much told them you shared. Also, seeing it first hand in another game with my friend it almost never results in a permaban, they usually tell you to stop sharing it immediately.

Edited by Aisriyth

By doing that you pretty much told them you shared. Also, seeing it first hand in another game with my friend it almost never results in a permaban, they usually tell you to stop sharing it immediately.

Blizzard gives second chances sometimes, but the rule is to permaban. The people who get second chances are exceptions to the rule and personally, I would never put my account at risk based on the hope that I'll be the exception too.

And yes, by opening a ticket and requesting a restoration or something, you are definitely telling the GMs that you share your account. But if your spouse accidentally deleted your level 50 character, it's either that or reroll and most people would rather just admit to it and hopefully get a restoration.

The problem with that, if you can even call it a problem, if BW is ruling this game with a lot more of an iron fist than I've seen in other MMOs. Sticking to their guns and enforcing all of the rules.

Blizzard gives second chances sometimes, but the rule is to permaban. The people who get second chances are exceptions to the rule and personally, I would never put my account at risk based on the hope that I'll be the exception too.

And yes, by opening a ticket and requesting a restoration or something, you are definitely telling the GMs that you share your account. But if your spouse accidentally deleted your level 50 character, it's either that or reroll and most people would rather just admit to it and hopefully get a restoration.

The problem with that, if you can even call it a problem, if BW is ruling this game with a lot more of an iron fist than I've seen in other MMOs. Sticking to their guns and enforcing all of the rules.

I can't tell you how many times i've requested restorations and never once was it questioned if i shared my account.

I get the analogy - but will use my own as the reason for my question. We also play xbox, and each have our own xbox live accounts/gamertags. We don't have to purchase 2 copies of an xbox game to play on 1 xbox. If we had 2 xboxes. then I totally get it - just like if we had 2 computers, I completely understand I would have to buy 2 copies. Either way, I thank you all for the help!

You can actually use this argument to prove why you still need two copies of the game. You each have you own XBox live account. That is the answer right there. You cannot think of this as purchasing the software twice. You are purchasing two different account accesses. You can download the software for free from their website to any and all computers that you want. You need to buy the license to use that software however for every person that is going t use it.

Edited by Nexvir

Er... except that it's incorrect. Since the pronoun is the object of the preposition "for", it should be the object pronoun "me". Essentially, since she used the subject pronoun "I", she wrote "Separate accounts for we?" instead of "Separate accounts for us?".

I have no idea what you just said, but thank you and come again.

I meant for the people who say "my brother deleted my character, can I have a restore?"

Right, which is basically telling them that you are sharing the account. Unless you actively approach with that kind of information, if the two people are accessing different alt characters on one account from the same IP, it's impossible to enforce the rule.

Luckily I have no worries as I only have one kid, and he's a minor who plays on my account at times. But for others who share in the family on the same account, again, unless someone approaches the company with information indicating that the account is being shared, it's pretty much impossible to detect.

I don't condone this, as it is against the license, and people should follow the license. But as a practical matter this particular violation is mostly hard to enforce unless the sharers actively indicate to the company that they are sharing.

I have no idea what you just said, but thank you and come again.

Ok, a simpler clarification, I hope :) (Sorry, OP, for the minor tangent... and for picking on your casual subject header.)

When deciding which pronoun to use, as in this case, "Separate accounts for my husband and I?", many people get confused when there's an "and". The easiest way to tell if you're using the correct pronoun is to mentally delete the other noun. In this case, that would be, "Separate account for I?". This should sound wrong to most English speakers, because "me" is correct.

I am not usually a grammar nazi, since discussing grammar on the intarwebz is a lost cause, but this tip does sometimes help people.

Edited by Laene

Right, which is basically telling them that you are sharing the account. Unless you actively approach with that kind of information, if the two people are accessing different alt characters on one account from the same IP, it's impossible to enforce the rule.

Luckily I have no worries as I only have one kid, and he's a minor who plays on my account at times. But for others who share in the family on the same account, again, unless someone approaches the company with information indicating that the account is being shared, it's pretty much impossible to detect.

I don't condone this, as it is against the license, and people should follow the license. But as a practical matter this particular violation is mostly hard to enforce unless the sharers actively indicate to the company that they are sharing.

Meh, they'll find out sooner or later. Like I said, if you flaunt it in-game or out of game, someone is going to report you sooner or later and one a GM is looking specifically for account sharing, it's easy to detect. It could even happen if they're investigating for something else and notice that you're sharing your account. It's just a matter of time.

There's only one way to 100% for sure not get actioned for account sharing, and that's to not share your account (aside from the 1 minor per parent/legal guardian rule).

So, not being able to search the forums, thought I'd make a quick post. We have 1 family PC, in which I installed the collector's edition of SWTOR. I played in the beta, and early access, and when the time came I entered the game code and so far so good. My husband also has his own SWTOR account, and also played in the beta under his account (separate from mine). However, when we tried to set up his subscription for this, we could not get past the game code issue. I tried entering the game code that I used for my account, but it would not accept it. Is there no way for a household that wants to have multiple accounts on 1 computer to do so? I completely understand that we would both have to pay for our own "game time" subscriptions.....but do we really have to purchase two physical copies of the game for the same computer?!?!

Yep you need a copy of the game for each account. As stated they can be physical or digital copies but for each account you're gonna have to pay 40 bucks.

They need game copy sales to get their investment back. And let's face it...you might say that you are both playing on the same computer but how are they supposed to check? If they allowed for what you wanted lots of people woul act like they had your situation, just to get around buying the actual game.

We wanted two accounts so in the event that we get another PC, we can play together. Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I had figured this must be the case - just seems wierd to have to buy 2 copies (or downloads) for 1 PC.

Think of it this way, you are buying a copy for the account. You are considering the two accounts one PC scenario. But you can load that account on twenty PCs, so they need to tie accounts to copies.

You can have 100 computers in your house and install SWTOR on each and every one. You don't even need to pay for the game to do that since you can download it from the website.

What you need is registration keys for 2 accounts. Doesn't matter if both accounts are used on the same system, heck even the same windows login. They are seperate accounts each with their own subscription and their own billing information attached to it.

Since you have one PC to play on you are essesintally paying a fee to prevent having to transfer characters to another account once you possibly get a second PC. If you never get that second PC, you're basically throwing money away.

I do think that a family subscription would be a great idea. Toss in a small discount for having multiple accounts or something. But for now you can either save the money and create your characters on the shared account, save up for another computer and hope that they open up the option to transfer characters to another account, or pay the money to keep the characters seperated. Personally I'd reccomend sticking with the shared account. You will save money that way, heck by month 2 of not having purchased a second account you will have $75 saved towards that new PC. Even if character transfers never come along it's not that hard to level back up, espicially if you help each other out.

Meh, they'll find out sooner or later. Like I said, if you flaunt it in-game or out of game, someone is going to report you sooner or later and one a GM is looking specifically for account sharing, it's easy to detect. It could even happen if they're investigating for something else and notice that you're sharing your account. It's just a matter of time.

There's only one way to 100% for sure not get actioned for account sharing, and that's to not share your account (aside from the 1 minor per parent/legal guardian rule).

I tend to look at things from all angles, instead of taking a very black and white stance to them. There are multiple legitimate reasons why two or more people might share one account. And considering there is a finite number of hours in the day and only one person can play on an account at a time, it seems like a relatively harmless practice for the majority of account sharers (notice I said majority, not all).

Ultimately, the rule about account sharing is to guarantee that EA makes as much money as possible by forcing every person who wants to play to get an account. It has little to do with making sure people don't do anything underhanded, and I'll never badmouth somebody who's found a way to cheat the ridiculous money-grubbing machine that the gaming industry is gradually spiraling into.

Not all MMO's are like this, I played Eve Online For almost 3 years and that game has been running since 2003. Its been Completely FREE to try all expansions are Free, So forth and so on and they would ENCOURAGE Multiply accounts. I had 2 myself one of my friends had 4. I was looking for an answer to this question as well because I'm in the same situation where my wife wants to play and I'm willing to spend the extra Sub but not willing to pay for a product that I have already paid for. Its seems silly if people are willing to pay the Subs but yet put a restriction like this.. IDK maybe I was spoiled by playing a Great Game built by a smaller less greedy Company.. Hey Bioware remember the days when you use to produce Great games all on your own? Baulders Gate anyone?

Wrong. You cannot share a Blizzard/WoW account with anyone at all. No brothers, sisters, husbands, wives, aunts, uncles, NO ONE AT ALL*.

*There is a single exception - since minors are not allowed to sign into contracts, a single minor may play on an account registered to the parent or legal guardian. If you have two kids, then you'll need to have two accounts so each of your kid can play on a separate one, to meet the 1 minor per parent's or legal guardian's account criteria.

SWTOR is the same.

You're a fool. No one gives a **** if you share with your spouse or siblings.

And EULA's are completely unenforceable. The EU already stated this explicitly, and most case law in the US is building that way. Its the worlds 2nd largest scam meant to scare customers.