For Season 2

BraaxusKun

Since the rewards have been announced for season 1, almost every server has had an extremely high rate of solo/team ranked occurring so people can get the great rewards noted in the recent season 1 end reward blog.

Now, there is a slight problem with the way this was handled. Yes releasing the rewards and the rating required to obtain them has substantially increased ranked participation, however, with a set rating confirmed for each tier, and this late into the season especially, people have noted it is a temporary benefit.

What needs to happen is, at the very start of season 2, hints or confirmation on great rewards should be set out for each tier, instead of at the near-end of the season, and on top of this, DO NOT give a set rating you need to achieve like has been done for the season 1 rewards (granted they gave the set rating for each tier because they took the % of players with high ratings and determined the tiers from there.) The way it should be done, is at the START of season 2, set out the rewards and tiers, except when setting the boundaries for each tier they should do it by the percentage (%)

For example, they said that the top 5% of players have over 1500 rating and that is why it is tier 1, well, at the start of season 2 the only thing about tiers that should be outlined to everyone is that tier 1 will be the top 5% and that should be set out clearly, this way people will NOT know what the set rating is they need to achieve and then just STOP doing ranked once they get it. (What is happening currently is people are queuing up simply to achieve the tier 1 cut off point then they will go back to doing regs again.) Whereas if at the start of the season the % boundaries are made clear people will not know when they are in the top tier and will therefore have to keep queuing.

TL;DR: Announce tiers/rewards at the start of the season 2 so there is more participation THROUGHOUT the WHOLE season, and not just a rush at the end. And if there is more participation THROUGH the season to get in the top tiers, it will mean people will HAVE to KEEP DOING RANKED, to maintain in the top PERCENTAGE of rated players.

Edited by BraaxusKun

We have leader boards.

num_of_players_on_boards * .05 = top_tier_players

Look at the boards at the guy in the last spot and beat his rating.

Also let's be honest. The influx of players has a lot to do with PvE players and casuals. Those guys aren't going to farm their rating the entire season keeping up with everyone for the rewards. They are doing because it's easy now and there is a clear goal. If the line keeps moving all the extra people queuing now won't do it that circumstance.

TL; DR - The only reason everyone is queuing up now isn't because the reward/PvP is great it's because it's obtainable. Make it harder to earn and we will be right back to where we were before.

While I agree, it's not "the end" of the season just yet.

I looked it up and i think that the season started on november 12 (2.4.3, end of preseason 1) so we still have time until may 12th.

Though I'd love to hear an exact date from Bioware on this.

::EDIT:: just reread their post. It ends when 2.7 comes out, my bad. Anyone know the date of this?

Edited by Aerilas

We have leader boards.

num_of_players_on_boards * .05 = top_tier_players

Look at the boards at the guy in the last spot and beat his rating.

Also let's be honest. The influx of players has a lot to do with PvE players and casuals. Those guys aren't going to farm their rating the entire season keeping up with everyone for the rewards. They are doing because it's easy now and there is a clear goal. If the line keeps moving all the extra people queuing now won't do it that circumstance.

TL; DR - The only reason everyone is queuing up now isn't because the reward/PvP is great it's because it's obtainable. Make it harder to earn and we will be right back to where we were before.

They might tho, and that is a gamble worth taking.

The drive to achieve a new digital trinket is what keeps them doing the same, 100% predictable PvE encounter over and over.

And I agree with the OP, I posted something similar in the main season 1 reward discussion thread.

IMO, there are two things they need to implement for season 2:

1. Do a straight % at the end of the season for tiers. No numerical rating cut-off mark at all, purely top 5% of people on the leaderboards. This requires you to fight over the % lines.

2. Have a weekly decay to your rating, banded by # of games played. Let's say... 10 ranked a week and you experience no decay, then banded values down to a max decay if you didn't play any. Each week you don't hit your 10 ranked, your decay doubles for the following week if you don't hit your 10 matches. This requires you to stay active throughout the season to maintain your position. It needs to be enough that you have to stay active to get rewards, but obtainable enough if you are active.

Edited by ryuzo

Actually, I disagree that all the rewards should be revealed at the beginning. At the moment, Ranked queues are popping because there's that rush, that feeling off, "I only have a month to get that rancor!!!!!1!". If these rewards were revealed at day 1, the wow factor would have saved Ranked queues for a week, but then people would just drop it (because humans are a funny species and we don't like having fun for the hell of it. We need rewards for our fun. :rolleyes: ).

So I suggest Bioware instead reveal it in bits and pieces, starting with the lowest tier rewards in the beginning of the season, and revealing the final tier a month before the end. This will have to be accompanied by MANY more rewards than they are giving away currently though.

Here, let me give an example:

Start of Season 2:

"We are happy to announce the start of Season 2!! Now get in there and go berserk! <Insert other RP-style commentary here>

The rewards for the top 90% in Season 1 are as follows:

A unique title for participating in Ranked.

1 week from start

Rewards for top 80%:

A special mini-pet.

2 weeks from start

Rewards for top 60%:

A 20% boost to all credits earned from warzones during the next Pre-Season.

Now, I expect that the first two weeks the the participation will be high just like it was this time around. When Season 1 started we had a massive number of players, which quickly dwindled as GSF released, the holidays came, and Ranked kinda died.

The announcement of a totally awesome reward like the credit boost will definitely reinvigorate Ranked for the next 2 weeks or so.

1 month from start

The top 50% will be getting a special Gear Set (cosmetic). The top 35% will be getting a very special Weapon for MH/OH (cosmetic).

2 months from start

Oh. You thought we were done? The top 15% receive a moving Jukebox that follows you around, and you are allowed to select various songs and play them on it. Additional tracks can be purchased for Ranked Commendations from the PvP items vendor.

[i would like them to place a version of this for PvErs too btw]

2.5 months from start

The top 10% receive the choice between an Armored Varactyl or a <insert ****** name> speeder/lateral translation rate increaser.

1 month before the end

The top 5% receive Giradda the Hutt's pet Rancor as their mount! (Not saying they should rehash the mount. SOmething as unique and fun would be awesome, I'm just too uncreative to come up with something better).

1 week before the end

The top 1% receive a special title, and receive entry into SWTOR's PvP Hall Of Fame!! It has been a good season folks, and we hope to meet you again in Season 3!!

That IMO, would be much better than releasing everything at the start, or revealing everything near the end.

• 2 months later...

Mount Suggestion:

If you don't know what a "Howdah" or "houdah" is look it up, it's a fancy sort of box/carriage thing for riding atop of elephants or camels etc.

My idea is for a cute looking bantha (maybe with some shiny golden decoration on it's horns and with a pretty howdah type carriage atop. And instead of having a droid "Mahout" it could come with a Ortolan Mahout in an outfit with shiny golden adornments that match with the decoration of the howdah and bantha. It would be fun as a mount. It would be even better if we could have a friend ride with us 2-man+ mount if you will. The Rancor mounts from last season are a bit big as far as mounts go, but obviously scaled down from the scale of Return of the Jedi's Rancor so perhaps you can scale down the bantha as well

Do not use dark purple on the mount..there's too much purple. Will post other ideas.

Ohh maybe for the lowest tier a baby bantha pet that is cute and sort of looks like the fancy mount I described above but without the howdah.

• 2 weeks later...