The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Storm and PvP

ByeToWoW

I am loving playing as a tank in PvP and utilizing storm + pull. However, even though I enjoy it, I would like to do a little more damage now and then. Yet, every time I try it, I miss... GREATLY miss, Storm.

So, has anyone ever devised a way to retain a decent amount of survivability and damage, and still go up the tanking tree to get Storm?

If not, can anyone help me theorycraft a little to experiment to what would suit those choices the best, even if I become a Jack of all trades and master of none (aka, not optimal)?

I am loving playing as a tank in PvP and utilizing storm + pull. However, even though I enjoy it, I would like to do a little more damage now and then. Yet, every time I try it, I miss... GREATLY miss, Storm.

So, has anyone ever devised a way to retain a decent amount of survivability and damage, and still go up the tanking tree to get Storm?

If not, can anyone help me theorycraft a little to experiment to what would suit those choices the best, even if I become a Jack of all trades and master of none (aka, not optimal)?

What gear you have? If you have tank, the only way is 36 ST. By taking storm, any hy combination gives less dps.

Getting dps relics and some Reflex augs might help as as taking Demolition and Overcharged instead of Soldiers Endurance.

Edited by Aetideus

Simply put, this is simply a choice you have to make.

The skill trees in this game were designed to be very unforgiving of hybrids with the Pure builds designed to be fair superior. Hybrids that preform well often preform TOO well resulting in a necessary change to break them.

So you can ether have Storm which is designed to get the Vanguard into the thick of the fray to tank, or you can DPS and work your way through slowly pulling stragglers away from the pack to kill them.

You want to jump into things and do DPS you're better off playing a DPS Guardian.

Try this: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GRhMdMboZMsMZfhMrko.3

Obviously, to even get Storm you have to put the majority of your points in the tank tree, and a couple of them will be wasted on things like shield buffs (though you do get to take Riot Gas too). But you're left with enough points in Assault to get Incendiary Round and Ionic Accelerator, so you get your burn DoT and the HIB reset from Ion Pulse and Stockstrike, all of which are buffed. Run this build with a regular generator and Plasma Cell.

You will naturally lose a decent amount of potential DPS with a build like this, but overall, I've found it to be versatile and fun. Storm is a huge boost to your mobility and ability to close gaps, which is normally quite limited as a Vanguard DPS, and there's nothing like watching a Sorc or Assassin Force Speed away from you, only to have you leap right back at them just as they think they've given you the slip.

This build is not as good for 1v1 dueling since you're missing Assault Plastique and a bunch of higher level Assault skills. But you'll still do a fair amount of damage, since you've got the core of the Assault damage rotation (burn, SS, IP, HIB). While I'm not usually at the top of the damage scoreboard in this build, I'm generally nowhere near the bottom either (not counting healers/tanks). I've won a decent amount of Arenas with this as well.

tl;dr - I wouldn't queue for Ranked with it, but it's a lot of fun and probably the most effective way to build a DPS Vanguard while still being able to take Storm.