Where can I get Gear for Basic Commendations as a Tank?

Kortio

Hit 55 today.

Was excited to spend all those saved up and worked for Basic Commendations.

Found out, that my class Vendor has no Gear with Defense except a Wrist and a Belt.

Where is the Rest?

I cannot go with Absorb only.. o_O.

ps.: No, it is not Orange Gear, it is purple. No, I cannot craft the same level mods as those that are in it.

Edited by Kortio

Nowhere.

If you play tank just forget any and all types of commendations.

Not just basic commendations but all commendations sell only worthless junk for tanks.

You only get proper tank gear in ops loot drops and even there only some drops.

Suppose you could buy the bracers 8 times and take the mod out and put it on the other gear, but even that is not really worth it, since they have only B-mods with high endurance and low defense.

You cant get high defense mods with any commendations. They only come with gear dropped in operations.

Also crafted 66 enhancements of the right type are better than the 69 enhancements with basic commendations vendor.

^^^ what he said.

I was lucky to have an Artifice and Cybertech alt and was able to craft the 66 gear for my tank when he hit 55. Everything available through comms was beyond terrible.

Depending on the server, the mods and enhancements can sometimes go for cheap on the GTN. I'd start there.

Edited by Khevar

It really feels like tanks, at least Juggs, pay a big tax for our chosen role.

Even some of the elite comms gear has alacrity and accuracy on it....meaning you have to spend a fortune to replace it.

Sure, you can only get good tank gear from ops. But to even be invited on the ops, and to do your job there, you need the basic and elite comms gear first.

You could try to switch out all your armor, mods, and enhancements using the gtn, but I guarantee you'll run out of money very quickly, and have like....two pieces of gear fitted out with the good mods.

Edited by nightsproull

Nowhere.

If you play tank just forget any and all types of commendations.

Not just basic commendations but all commendations sell only worthless junk for tanks.

You only get proper tank gear in ops loot drops and even there only some drops.

Suppose you could buy the bracers 8 times and take the mod out and put it on the other gear, but even that is not really worth it, since they have only B-mods with high endurance and low defense.

You cant get high defense mods with any commendations. They only come with gear dropped in operations.

Also crafted 66 enhancements of the right type are better than the 69 enhancements with basic commendations vendor.

That is a classic catch 22. I need the gear from Ops to be allowed on Ops? That's... stupid.

People won't take me without proper gear. Geez.

Okay, now what? Farm credits en masse and buy stuff from GTN?

That is fun as a tank with a killspeed of a lvl 10 character..

And yeah, I am a Jugg.

Hit 55 today.

Was excited to spend all those saved up and worked for Basic Commendations.

Found out, that my class Vendor has no Gear with Defense except a Wrist and a Belt.

Where is the Rest?

I cannot go with Absorb only.. o_O.

ps.: No, it is not Orange Gear, it is purple. No, I cannot craft the same level mods as those that are in it.

Buy the gear with commendations for the armoring and the modification. Then go to the GTN (or craft yourself) and get:

Advanced Immunity Enhancement 28: 37 endurance, 66 shield, 43 defense. For absorb, there's also Advanced Sturdiness Enhancement 28, with absorb in place of defense.

Put these in your gear instead of the enhancements from commendations. They have much more in the way of "mitigation" stats.

If you're feeling too light on endurance, you can also go with the Bulwark/Bastion versions (more endurance, less mitigation), but in general mitigation is better than endurance for most purposes except looking good in a pug.

----

Next priorities in gearing, in no particular order:

-Get some relics. This is where you should spend your basic comms first: The arkanian relics are good. Get two *different* tanking ones. If you don't have enough basics for two, you can get a dread guard one from the classic vendor if you have classic comms, or you can pvp some and buy a conqueror relic.

-Buy implants and an earpiece. The level 53 purple crafted "veracity" ones from the GTN with tons of shield and defense (but not so much endurance) are good.

-Eventually get set bonus armorings from doing operations (the mods & enhancements on the operations pieces are good too). Having the set bonus is better than having higher rating armorings, so don't break a set bonus even to put in a 78 armoring. If you have literally tons of classic commendations, you can get a set bonus on campaign gear (but it doesn't mix with the newer set bonus on arkanian/underworld/dread forged gear). [Having set bonus campaign armorings is probably a little worse than having oriconian/78 non-set-bonus armorings, to give you an idea of how good the set bonus is.]

-Augment your gear with augments that have a mitigation stat (shield, defense, or absorb)

-Make sure you don't have alacrity or accuracy on your gear, and if you do, replace it with something with shield

------

Check out the tanking forums to see how much shield vs absorb vs defense is good for your class. All classes want a mix, but vanguard/powertech leans more toward shield, shadow/assassin leans more toward absorb, and guardian/juggernaut leans more toward defense.

Edited by cxten

Thanks for your solid advice cxten :).

If you're feeling too light on endurance, you can also go with the Bulwark/Bastion versions (more endurance, less mitigation), but in general mitigation is better than endurance for most purposes except looking good in a pug.

Yeah, the same problem exists in other MMORPG's :p.