Bomber counter! (this is not a cry thread)

Slivovidze

Guys, guys. Stop crying around the thread that I intended to start as an optimistic chat about killing bombers with underrated weapons.

Bomber = easy kill for anyone competent.

There is ONE issue with bombers.

No, there are TWO issues.

The second issue is, that the effectiveness of stacking bombers at a place grows exponentially with each bomber.

Edited by Sindariel

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's your thought process well, you can think that way, and I have no right to tell you other wise, part of the issue with living in a free country...

But by the same logic, GSF was doomed right from the get-go... GSF never stood for Galactic Star Fighter, it stood for Gunship Sting Flashfire. Before 2.6 Evasion was horribly broken, 1 Sting or Flashfire could hold a sat against 4 or 5 strike fighters, and butcher them easily with Blaster Overcharge and Burst Lasers (read nearly every Sting or Flashfire was pushing those), while at the same time being nearly un-killable due to distortion field.

When points like that were made, all we ever heard from Sting or Flashfire pilots was "QQ" or "L2P", so now that the type 2 scouts are not a "Jack of all trades, master of them all", I hardly find the whining from mediocre type 2 scout pilots about "Bombers are OP" to hold any weight.

In their own words, we are not OP L2P. :mon_cool:

Or here's a novel idea, work in a group to break them off the sat, you know 'cause GSF is a team game after all....

This.

Granted, as a Strike pilot I didn't feel at all nerfed with 2.6 (on the contrary), but it certainly took some patience to stick it through 2.5 with the sting/flashfire spam. Now that things are more balanced, and Sting/Flashes are no longer the dominant fighters the game is a lot more enjoyable.

And let's be clear, it is NOT like the Sting/Flash was made much weaker: it still dominates whenever it comes to dogfighting, and scouts are the best role for taking out gunships, hands down. They finally had a counter added, with a bit of a nerf for Distortion Field (which did not nerf their offensive power at all), but they're still top dogs when bombers aren't involved.

To be honest, in many cases it sounds more like people who got used to being Jacks-of-all-trade, Masters-of-All, and can't accept that this is no longer the case.

If you want to be a jack-of-all-trade, come fly a Strike fighter as it was intended from the very beginning. Just don't start complaining when you realize that you can't dominate everything as well as you used to in 2.6. Strikes are definitely Master-Of-None, but you can sure learn to master a Strike, and know to recognize when you're outmatched.

The second issue is, that the effectiveness of stacking bombers at a place grows exponentially with each bomber.

Same goes for gunships. But the outrage about that just faded with time.

We can agree that it doesn't apply for scouts and fighters that much, but I commented on that in my previous posts.

Gunships and bombers are a game changers that changed nice dogfighting game into a more tactical (and also less fun) space combat. Bombers are FotM because they were introduced just recently, they had minimum PTS testing due to lack of PTS players, so we can guess that they will be tweaked in close future. If they won't be, then I call BiowarEA brain dead. But most of the nerfs people want are too harsh. Small tweaks on the whole fleet can achieve balance without huge, one class nerfs.

Edited by Slivovidze

We can agree that it doesn't apply for scouts and fighters that much, but I commented on that in my previous posts.

Gunships and bombers are a game changers that changed nice dogfighting game into a more tactical (and also less fun) space combat. Bombers are FotM because they were introduced just recently, they had minimum PTS testing due to lack of PTS players, so we can guess that they will be tweaked in close future. If they won't be, then I call BiowarEA brain dead. But most of the nerfs people want are too harsh. Small tweaks on the whole fleet can achieve balance without huge, one class nerfs.

I don't think the outrage over gunships faded. I think a lot of the dissatisfied people quit playing.

I fly everything, and am happy flying anything. If it helps win, I'll fly it. i am ship type neutral. That being said, Gunships are still way too powerful the way things are now, and so are bombers. Perhaps they can add different game modes or wrinkles to existing ones where mobility is more important that would help mitigate the power of these ships, but until then it's an issue.

My biggest worry with bombers is that right now most bombers have minimal upgrades and are more than holding their own against fully upgraded ships. How impregnable will these ships be with full upgrades?

I won't deny that, however, piloting a gunship requires at least some skill.

You need to aim manually and you can only take on one enemy at a time.

Bombers on the other side can just hide their as* after dropping their sh*t, because their drones are AI controlled and their mines do AoE damage.

Edited by Sindariel

Bombers on the other side can just hide their as* after dropping their sh*t, because their drones are AI controlled and their mines do AoE damage.

*Holds up a model of a Flashfire and a Sting*

Show me on the models where the bad bomber touched you.

Yep that's all true. Bombers are a no-skill pain in the butt because exactly what you said.

But as long as there is a counter that I can execute, I suppose everyone can do a counter, as I am barely above average.

So what I'm about is, let's share our counters here. There is enough threads trying to summon nerf-hammer. No need to spread it here, too. I bet balancing is coming, and until then we can discuss how everyone of us kills bombers.

(long, useless story below)

(dear diary,) Today, I mastered my Thermites! Chose the DoT upgrade over additional ammo. 15% extra damage to the 1500 hit is a huge addition! Those cans of fat used lots of diapers today. Single handedly defended a satellite against two bombers (!). And they weren't just dumb players, they actually fly very well with their scouts (and they came to show me right when I blasted them). As the fatty circles the satellite, it is easy to follow him, shredding his rear shields, giving him a nice 1500+ hit right afterwards. To keep straight line of sight, extended usage of strafing (however slow strafing is in GSf, it is notable help) was required. A few (5-ish) hits with TT and CF got rid of his shields, meanwhile the Thermite locked, so he instantly got that one shoved up his butthole, one more shot and the DoT actually finished him off. In proccess I destroyed the mines he was pooping behind him, so this one did zero damage. The other one though, popped some drones which hurt, I won't lie. After first bomber died, killing the second one was somehow lengthy proccess with 3 or 4 drone kills between shield/hull smashing, but at least the Thermite recharged and he died in the end. I had to pat myself on the back because nobody else saw what I just did. I couldn't do it without my Engine power converter. You call it a bad shield, but 1800 shielding per arc provided good defense against these drones.

Besides that, I can't even count how many patrolling bombers went down with one beautiful Thermite torpedo. I'm probably not a real bada*s because I just had to look at the explostions going yippie at each one. :)

Edited by Slivovidze

Bombers are the smash-monkeys of GSF. Domination matches composed of nothing but bombers and gunships have already begun, and it's absolutely ruining those games. In the time it takes to clear/chase the gunships, the bombers have saturated a sat. As soon everyone turns to clearing mines, the gunships have respawned and are picking people off, followed shortly by the next human wave of bombers, which can't be stopped before they get to the sats without breaking off and ignoring the gunships, and by now the team's down people from attrition.

It's not a matter of "learn to play." BW has introduced a combat mechanic which imbalances the game far too easily for the level of skill it requires, and, unlike gunships, there are no effective counters for it. People are naturally abusing it to the extent that they are able to. I don't blame the bomber pilots, it's BW's fault. And ironically, this type of abuse only further encourages abuse of the premades that people hate getting farmed by, because mustering 8+ people in a chat is the only way to mount enough coordination to stop these tactics.

Yes. OMG **** this ability so much. There is ONE GUY on my server who uses it on his scout and it is really freaking hard to escape him. I am going to have to completely relearn gunship evasive flying because of him :mad:

(not really that mad, after the number of scouts I've led on merry chases across the map I deserve it)

Curious to know what server you are on.