The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars Rebels: Teaser Trailers

Beniboybling

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets be honest with ourselves here, it was a pretty sappy trailer.

"Let's be honest with ourselves here?" What does that even mean given the context of this conversation? lol

Of course it's sappy and full of hyperbole. It's a trailer for a Star Wars cartoon that's going to be airing for kids on the Disney Channel. I'm shocked. :eek::p

Nobody is disputing the tone of the trailer.

As for the animation, we'll see. It could be better, it could be worse. Hopefully, after Lucas animation built the technology and programs they used for the Clone Wars, they should be able to port a lot of that over for Rebels, and hopefully have a head start.

I'm not concerned with the trailers, I need to see the actual series to properly judge. Moreover, a season or two. The Clone Wars was reviled by a lot of fans after the first movie and few episodes were released.

It got better after a season and a half, and by the third season I saw a lot of fans who hated the first season warm up to it, and eventually become fans of it themselves.

Edited by CaulderBenson

"Let's be honest with ourselves here?" What does that even mean given the context of this conversation? lol

Of course it's sappy and full of hyperbole. It's a trailer for a Star Wars cartoon that's going to be airing for kids on the Disney Channel.

Nobody is disputing the tone of the trailer.

As for the animation, we'll see. It could be better, it could be worse. Hopefully, after Lucas animation built the technology and programs they used for the Clone Wars, they should be able to port a lot of that over for Rebels, an hopefully have a head start.

Exactly, hence the reactions. Its not exactly portraying Rebels in a positive manner.

EDIT: Is this cause for negativity towards the show? Perhaps, perhaps not. But even from this teaser trailer the tone is distinctly different from that of both the early and later TCW trailers.

Edited by Beniboybling

But even from this teaser trailer the tone is distinctly different from that of both the early and later TCW trailers.

No, it's not. I remember waiting eagerly for the first Clone Wars trailers to hit the net. They have the same fun, adventurous tone these trailers have. The later seasons of the Clone Wars had a darker tone because Palpatine was winning, so of course the later trailers were darker.

And while we're at it, those aren't really proper trailers for Rebels - merely quick teasers.

A lot of fans hated the Clone Wars in the beginning based on the first trailers, and they hated the animation style passionately.

It was at the end of Season Two and during Season Three that I began to see fans who hated it from the beginning begin to go back and give it another chance based on positive word of mouth.

Whether the same will be said of Rebels, I don't know, but we'll see.

Incidentally, I wasn't too impressed with those teasers, I'm just not going to make a judgement based on them, I'll wait for the actual series.

Edited by CaulderBenson

Just a note, considering this series takes place during the Dark times....why would it all be campy/happy go lucky? Hmm...it'll get dark I'm sure of it.

I'm guessing it has to do with the Han Solo type main character, the so called "CowBoy" Jedi type. When you combine that with the young boy thief, you get two characters who have no respect for authority, are living by the seat of their pants, cocky under pressure, etc.

There's of fun to be had with those types of characters in tense situations. Han Solo was very funny and entertaining in the OT, and so were Lando, Chewie, 3P0, and R2 D2.

Indiana Jones worked the same under similar conditions. Indiana Jones was fighting Nazis during World War II, which you would think dictates dark stories with a somber tone, but the opposite was true. His movies had dark moments, but the movies were very pulpy and very fun.

I'd personally have preferred no kids, but that's never been the case with Star Wars. Luke and Leia were both 18-19 when the OT happened.

...On another note...me thinks TFU has been scrapped. :rak_01:

I'm okay with that. The first game was fun, but I thought the story reeked of awful fan fiction, even though it was George Lucas approved.

I'd prefer it to be gone, but if it isn't, whatever.

Edited by CaulderBenson

I'm guessing it has to do with the Han Solo type main character, the so called "CowBoy" Jedi type. When you combine that with the young boy thief, you get two characters who have no respect for authority, are living by the seat of their pants, cocky under pressure, etc.

There's of fun to be had with those types of characters in tense situations. Han Solo was very funny and entertaining in the OT, and so were Lando, Chewie, 3P0, and R2 D2.

Indiana Jones worked the same under similar conditions. Indiana Jones was fighting Nazis during World War II, which you would think dictates dark stories with a somber tone, but the opposite was true. His movies had dark moments, but the movies were very pulpy and very fun.

I'd personally have preferred no kids, but that's never been the case with Star Wars. Luke and Leia were both 18-19 when the OT happened.

I'm okay with that. The first game was fun, but I thought the story reeked of awful fan fiction, even though it was George Lucas approved.

I'd prefer it to be gone, but if it isn't, whatever.

I'm not saying there can't be fun or whatever, but just saying shouldn't count this series out yet without first passing a couple of episodes.

As for TFU, I'm not sure but I just got a feeling....

We shall see...but I just got a feeling.

I agree, notice in OP second video (spark) they did have the Marek crest for the rebellion. The show is supposed to take place in 5 BBY and Marek died in 2 BBY. Hence I think TFU is gone also

Edit: Post ROTJ EU is a huge multimedia project also but that didn't stop them from wiping it

Edited by sell-dog

I agree, notice in OP second video (spark) they did have the Marek crest for the rebellion. The show is supposed to take place in 5 BBY and Marek died in 2 BBY. Hence I think TFU is gone also

Edit: Post ROTJ EU is a huge multimedia project also but that didn't stop them from wiping it

Years go backwards in Star Wars, but still that doesn't mean the Alliance couldn't go through yet another retcon and have it be founded earlier before Marek even shows up or even after,

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I noticed that, but I also noticed that's not the Rebellion insignia... and I don't think they can retcon that.

And yeah maybe I'm clinging to a false hope here, but one thing I can say is that there is no need for a retcon other than the opportunity for the rebels to unveil a fancy flag and make fancy declarations and stuff.

I noticed that, but I also noticed that's not the Rebellion insignia... and I don't think they can retcon that.

And yeah maybe I'm clinging to a false hope here, but one thing I can say is that there is no need for a retcon other than the opportunity for the rebels to unveil a fancy flag and make fancy declarations and stuff.

They didn't have to retcon the original origins of the Alliance, yet they did. :p So they could do it still.

They didn't have to retcon the original origins of the Alliance, yet they did. :p So they could do it still.
What were the original origins of the Alliance?

And yeah, they don't have to, that's my only point. The two can easily coexist.

Edited by Beniboybling

What were the original origins of the Alliance?

And yeah, they don't have to, that's my only point. The two can easily coexist.

I really cannot remember lol, been too long since I last looked it up and it seems it has been removed in favor for the TFU origin.

Though I just found Greg Weisman spoke that the series is gonna be about the formation of the Rebel Alliance.

As for the tone, Weisman explained, “The tone of this show is very much in the vein of Episodes IV and V -- that is, there's some serious stuff going on; that doesn't mean we can't have humor, that doesn't mean we can't have romance, and that doesn't mean we can't have anything, frankly. We just also take the jeopardy very seriously, but we think we've got a great ensemble of characters to work with here in a world that starts on the planet Lothal and will continue to expand, assuming -- I mean, it even expands in Season 1 -- but assuming we get a pickup for multiple seasons, we'll continue to expand it, because this series really is about the founding of the Rebel Alliance. It doesn't exist when we come in.”

Weisman also noted that Rebels has a bit of a ticking clock element to its storyline. “Most of the series I've worked on are very much open-ended. There is no end to Gargoyles, there's no end to Young Justice. Those shows may not get picked up, and I don't own these properties, so I may have to stop working on them at various points. But there actually is an endgame to Star Wars Rebels, because this is about a finite period of time between Episodes III and IV. It starts about 14 and a half years after the end of Episode III and about four or five years before Episode IV. This is about how the Rebel Alliance came to be. So once the Rebel Alliance is, that's pretty much where the show ends. I don't know how many seasons that is. It's not like we've nailed that down like, ‘Oh, we're going to exactly X amount of seasons.’ But if all goes well, that's the goal: we go from the origins of the Rebel Alliance to the point where the Rebel Alliance is, which would lead in essence directly into A New Hope. That's the goal, to fill in that gap between those four or five years.”

Years go backwards in Star Wars, but still that doesn't mean the Alliance couldn't go through yet another retcon and have it be founded earlier before Marek even shows up or even after,

(PS @Beni I only have so much time to post before I must be back to work, I did a quick search to verify and the image in the video looked kind of like the Marek crest slanted in the Northeast direction so I just went with it, my bad :D)

You have a point. And I know how the years go for the SW Timeline, what I meant was if the show is using the crest before it was adopted as the symbol for the Rebellion at Marek's death in 2 BBY in the current EU Lore than clearly we'd have some wiping on our hands. Either way I glanced too quick at the image in the video so doesn't matter

(PS @Beni I only have so much time to post before I must be back to work, I did a quick search to verify and the image in the video looked kind of like the Marek crest slanted in the Northeast direction so I just went with it, my bad :D)

You have a point. And I know how the years go for the SW Timeline, what I meant was if the show is using the crest before it was adopted as the symbol for the Rebellion at Marek's death in 2 BBY in the current EU Lore than clearly we'd have some wiping on our hands. Either way I glanced too quick at the image in the video so doesn't matter

Ahh kk then.