The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

LF: Tank Leveling Build

nukemeister

Hey folks,

I returned to SWTOR and rolled a Pyrotech with the thought of doing leveling him with Mako, while doing FPs as tank. I looked around for a solid build for this, but holy cow there's a lot of outdated stuff out there.

Does anyone has a good build/guide bookmarked and would be so kind to o share it?

I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

No problem, but I do suggest looking around this specific area of the forum for a few good reads on tanking guides. The build I gave you is a pretty general one (you could PvP with it, but it's not as strong because the build avoids snares and slows.)

Usually the front page guides here wont lie. Just next time you got a toilet break, or what not, take your phone in and read.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGddobRMdMZMsMMoZb.3

That's one I literally made in 5 minutes, prioritizing damage reduction for normal mobs and grabbing anything that increases damage.

As much as that build used to be good, Patch 2.4 pretty much killed it with the nerfs to Retractable Blade. Now you have to go full tree to really do anything. Also there were a couple of things that annoyed me with that one, such as grabbing a snare on Ion Cylinder instead of more survivability.

Typically, you start with this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMGrdoroMdRRZ0c.3

So full 36 into the Shield Tech tree, then the +3% accuracy talent, and then the last points are whether you want survivability or threat.

If you want survivability, grab Integrated Cardio Package + Power Armor

If you want threat, grab Prototype Burn Enhancers, Hot Iron, ect...

Also Iron Fist is never a bad talent to grab. My typical endgame build is this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMGrdoroMdRRZbcZbc.3

Edited by TACeMossie

• 3 weeks later...
Guess I'll be redoing my talent tree, then. I've been working on creating a PvP tank/DPS hybrid, and that tree I gave was the one I used. I'll have to modify retractable blade out, it seems. See what I can cook up.

What tree would you suggest for leveling purpose concercing FUN? Which do you consider the most engaging one? I am not looking for the one with the most output but the one where i think "yeah man, this is soo gooooood" :)

What tree would you suggest for leveling purpose concercing FUN? Which do you consider the most engaging one? I am not looking for the one with the most output but the one where i think "yeah man, this is soo gooooood" :)

If it has jet charge + jet speed, its fun. Thats all I have to say.

Yeah, i started as a tank, but got bored because the spec suffers the same problems as lots of other classes in SWTOR, the interesting things come only with later levels. So right now (lvl26) i am AP and will also try Pyro but definately go back to tank with lvl30 for Jet Charge :)

• 2 weeks later...

There's really no need to spec outside of shield tech if all you want to do is level. It's a deceptively powerful tree that hits like a semi in PVE. There's plenty of fun to be had in soloing heroics; crushing content by yourself while lesser beings spam general chat for groups is pretty satisfying.

Cookie cutter spec

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMGrdoroMdRRZbsMZb.3

It's always better to level up a tank in the tanking tree, anyway. It saves you the bother of having to retrain yourself at max level. With this build you can chain pull to your heart's content, while burning everything to the ground with Gault. For champs, pull out Mako.