Combat Sentinel need help with rotation and dps

PedramIV

Hi everyone.

I use combat tree (5/36/5) and I parsed 2622 dps on Ops Dummy(with armor debuff and 1mil HP), now I want to know how much dps with my stats should I do? is that low for my gear? am I doing my rotation wrong?

My parse :

My AMR build :

I really appreciate any help and tip you can give me.

I don't play enough Combat on my Sentinel to help in a big sense, but I picked up

1) Blade Storm should always be used with the Auto-crit proc. You have a ~83% crit chance on your Blade Storm in your log, and you used it 29 times. This means that out of those 29 times, you did not crit 5 times. Bluntly, this is unacceptable. Blade Storm should always be 100% crit on Combat parses.

2) I see 4 uses of Slashes. As a Combat, Slash shouldn't even be on your quickbars. Once you get Blade Rush, it pretty much replaces Slash, as it does marginally more flat damage, proc's Ataru Stance more often, and has more utility than Slash in Combat.

Hi everyone.

I use combat tree (5/36/5) and I parsed 2622 dps on Ops Dummy(with armor debuff and 1mil HP), now I want to know how much dps with my stats should I do? is that low for my gear? am I doing my rotation wrong?

I really appreciate any help and tip you can give me.

That is a little low for your gear. You're gear looks a little better than mine and my best parse is 3085. Biggest thing that jumps out right away are your Actions Per Minute. The parse you linked had 41 APM, the parse of mine linked below was 49 APM. Just getting that up will improve your DPS a lot. Like the person above mentioned, don't use Slash...it was only a few times though so maybe accident?

http://www.torparse.com/a/580203/time/1391750119/1391750445/0/Damage+Dealt

I'll look a little closer later this evening when I have more time.

your gear is decent and you should be able to do 3K+ with it.

Suggestions

1. Only use BS when you have proc, you should have 100% crit for BS on your parse

2. No Slash only Blade Rush

3. Your APM is low, it should be 47-50, use Zen on CD. If you haven't you should keybind. Combat is not clicky friendly

4. Don't delay your second PS window by more than a GCD.

5. If you use MS inside a PS window, do it during the second one not the first. is should look something like this PS>BS>BR>BR>Strike/ZS>PS>MS>BS.

6. I see you tried using Dispatch before the second PS window so it lands inside it. However this is already difficult to do on dummy and much more difficult to do in a raid setting.

Here is a parse you can look over 3299

Edited by g_mK

6. I see you tried using Dispatch before the second PS window so it lands inside it. However this is already difficult to do on dummy and much more difficult to do in a raid setting.

I noticed this too. Same with TST in the opener.

Not sure if you click or bind, but the timing is pretty tight so if you're not hitting it, you'd be better to not try fitting it in. I generally use the trick on the dummy and in raid, but if you're not hitting it, it's not worth it.

You could clean your opener up a bit. I wouldn't use BS in that first window for the opener, save it for the second when you should certainly have your Opportune Attack buff. Since your TST timing is a little off, I'd take that out as well because you're risking a Hand of Justice proc since it's hitting prior to your Precision Slash. I'd alter it to:

FL->(Zen+VC+Insp)->ZS->PS->BR->MS->TST->PS->BS->Disp->BR.

Looking at your second Precision cycle..meaning 3rd and 4th activation...you had the right idea using BS, Zen and MS, but you were a bit slow on activating MS so 4 of the 6 hits landed outside of the Precision buff. The above poster's suggestion of waiting on MS until the second window would be good so you get it's full affect under the buff and then use BS after, it also allows you to use BR in that first window to speed up your Hand of Justice proc. In the second window you tried the Dispatch-PS trick again but weren't quite fast enough and Dispatch landed just before the Precision buff. You have about .6sec to hit PS after Disp to make this work.

I noticed a couple times that you used Cauterize inside a PS window. The weapon attack from Cauterize is really weak and shouldn't be used in that window. There was one point that you used PS back to back which is a big DPS loss because you lost one entire Precision window. Always wait until Precision wears off before using PS again.

Like I mentioned up above, your APM is definitely a bit off. Take three abilities below for example:

21:00:57.988 Shaalia activates Strike.

21:00:59.124 Shaalia activates Precision Slash.

21:01:00.119 Shaalia activates Blade Storm.

PS is off the global cooldown so your Strike and BS should be as close to 1.5sec apart as possible. They were 2.1 sec apart though which eats quite a bit into your Precision window.

A lot of what has been suggested by me and others just comes to practice. There's a lot to watch for and just getting comfortable will help a lot. If you haven't I'd HIGHLY recommend reading KBN's guide here in the forums. It's very well written and detailed. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=659058

Thanks everyone and sorry for the late response.

About slash that I use yes it was by mistake, I used to be focus sentinel which require slash to reduce the cooldown of force sweep so it was by mistake.

I will redesign my quickbar to fit for combat, in that parse I use mouse to click abilities and also I didn't use Inspiration or Adrenals.

I will rearrange my quick bar and correct my rotation and if I need help I will ask again.

Thanks again.

For starters you can maintain your opportune attack untill you get precission slash free, in between make sure you zen as often as possible.

For an instance for an opener, you could go by jump the target, use your forcegain attack, hit it with bladerush a couple of times, opportune attack appear, zen, precission slash, masterstrike, dispatch then bladestorm, have to be done very precise or you might miss out one attack on the precission slash active cooldown which is very fast but it is viable, quickly gain opportune attack back again, bladerush is good for that, it procs for opening precission slash + dispatch + bladestorm.

Don't wait with using Zen if master strike is not up, use it whenever you can to keep the pace up, you have a load of viable attacks that can be used and if used correct you will pull the numbers no problem, but practise, practise and practise is the most important part, don't be afraid to do 10 55HM fps in a row, if it mean you learn something on your class, it is worth it.

Goal is to if below 5-6 stacks of useable force to gain it back whenever you can with either basic strike, or the other skill.

But the important part of it is most of all attack speed and if you have full set bonus you would benefit even more from using ZEN, in which is one of your key abilities among the other abilities that you have unlocked.

Personally I prefere with combat: mainstat > power > surge > crit > accuracy in ataru form you only need a little additional accuracy think its around 237 points or there about to be at 100/110%

It could look like this 3300 mainstat 1300 power 75% crit multiplier 25% critical chance 100.XX/110.XX% accuracy

But do not take the way I put stats and gear for granted, there is a couple of more ways to gear up, fact is they are all very insanely viable but giving the same numbers when parsing, though go for more live combat once you got the basics down to practise on something that will actually fight back or force you having to move around a bit.