The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Qyzen Fess is impossible to please

HumbleJedi

Ive noticed how Qyzen on my Consuler is impossible to please for the simple fact he is so darn confusing!

The fella, seems to not like a majority of the choices that that conusler does.

You loose points to him, by doing something right, and you gain points with him if it involves killing him.

How the hell does this companion make a solid match for a Consuler, when all he does is cost you points for making something right?

Hell, T7 and Kira dont make this much of a big deal with choices! -.-

The key to keeping Qyzen pleased is in his system of beliefs. He won't like it if you help just everyone because he believes people who aren't completely helpless have to fend for themselves. Sometimes he will prefer it if you kill an enemy because they were honorably slain in combat and allowing them to live would mean that they are disgraced forever. Greed is never an option with him. Mainly it's a matter of getting a feel for his code of honour and then you'll be fine.

Another option is of course spamming him with gifts. Weapon is his favourite but don't make the mistake of trying trophy on him like I did when I started... He was always grunting on about trophies so when I got him one all I got was a strange reply and +0. Again, it's tied to his code of honour, a trophy doesn't count if he didn't catch it himself.

As a general rule, any choice that involves being respectful towards/vowing to help/so on and so forth Yuon Par is going to net him approval gains. He also seems to regard Jedi wisdom and use of the force pretty highly from what I remember.

His persons of note codex entry should have a general guide of what he does and does not like, too.

Not a big fan of Qyzen, but for the lack of anything better at the moment... yeah. I am always surprised at any points coming from him. He liked the line about the aliens' tough life, he supports Yuon and sort of honorable choices. On some of those small side-quests one can refuse the quest, and then restart the conversation and correct the choice without resetting the whole quest. It nets 10, rather than 11, but better than a sorry -1.

I just try not to worry about it. My PC will do what she does, unless I truly like the companion, but so far, save for Kaliyo the first companions I have seen were not worth bending the PC's will. I'm playing with Qyzen, Riggs and Kaliyo. I've seen Khem and T3 whatever in a group setting. Fingers crossed that the later entries make up for it.

Self-reliance is a major value of Qyzen. For example you can lose affection when you help the kids on Coruscant at the water supply. It is not that he hates kids, he just believes the kids should fend for themselves.

Also Qyzen is not tolerant of humility. When your Jedi accomplishes great feats he feels it is well within your rights to toot your own horn.

As stated killing dangerous foes instead of sparing them fits into his value system.

Make sure to read his Codex entry as it explains his values.

Basically if you're going full-on light side you are going to take affection hits with Qyzen. He's not evil, he's just got a very strict honor system. So, like other said, you can expect sparing an enemy, or helping those who can help themselves, or many other "light side" actions, to lose affection with him. This is not to say every light side option will lose with him–he is still an honorable person and many dark side options he considers dishonorable. So, you're going to have to just roll with it. Whenever there isn't a LS/DS choice, say the thing you think will most likely gain with Qyzen. You're stuck with him until Nar Shaddaa unless you use Treek (who doesn't have gains/losses in conversations anyways), and the companion you get there is hardly better.

Ive noticed how Qyzen on my Consuler is impossible to please for the simple fact he is so darn confusing!

You loose points to him, by doing something right, and you gain points with him if it involves killing him.

How the hell does this companion make a solid match for a Consuler, when all he does is cost you points for making something right?

First, it's Consular.

Second, it's lose. Loose is your mom.

Third, I am pretty sure you play on Jedi Covenant server, not in some sort of bizarre MMO nunnery (fix your sig).

Fourth, Qyzen is awesome, and there's nobody forcing you to play a light-side jedi. My dark-side Consular got points with Qyzen left and right. If you're losing points with him, well, that's what gifts are for.

Edited by Fidelicatessen

Second, it's lose. Loose is your mom.

In German language, we have a similar problem. A wire might get "lose", for example, meaning the same like the English "loose".

So, it's quite the opposite ( same with the word "pathetic" ! ), which can be confusing for German players writing in English language.

German language also has the word "quitt" like in "wir sind quitt", in the sense of "we are finished" or "I'm finished with you" (in an angry tone) or "we are even" (in an neutral to positive tone).

In German language, we have a similar problem. A wire might get "lose", for example, meaning the same like the English "loose".

So, it's quite the opposite ( same with the word "pathetic" ! ), which can be confusing for German players writing in English language.

German language also has the word "quitt" like in "wir sind quitt", in the sense of "we are finished" or "I'm finished with you" (in an angry tone) or "we are even" (in an neutral to positive tone).

I wish I had learned German in school instead of French :(

He is not 1% as hard to please as Ashara is for a Dark Sided Female Inquisitor. Nothing helps, she hates convo options, and gives like 5 points for her favorite gifts. QQ about something else please.

Believe me, if you're having trouble with Qyzen, you're going to find Tharan and Zenith royal headaches.

OK, here's some advice from a Consular junkie who has maxed out with all her crew and put WAY too much thought into this. Mind you, my Consular is "Alylia Terel the Honorable," not "Alylia Terel the Pure" for a reason. I hang somewhere in Light 4, mostly.

It helps to be a lore hound when playing the Consular storyline, as the writers really did their homework and it totally shows. Trandoshans? They're the bad guys in about 90% of the stuff they show up in. The fact they have long-standing bad blood with Wookiees, to the point of thinking Wookiees are optimal sacrifices to Madame Scorekeeper does not help. You see a Trandoshan in Star Wars, he's likely an assassin, Jedi killer, thug, hired muscle, Bounty Hunter...

You even find out later that Qyzen used to work for Braden's stable and is on good terms with Mako. If you have played a LS Bounty Hunter or seen some of their story, then you have a bit of an in on how Qyzen thinks.

1) He hates criminals and thugs, but mostly because they're cowards exploiting those who cannot fight back instead of being actual hunters and actually taking a risk with challenging prey. It's much the same way Canderous Ordo saw those Mandalorian bandits in the first game. If there's nothing at stake, then the hunt is meaningless.

2) Conversely, volunteering to find something dangerous and hit it really, really hard makes the big lizard smile. If it's a dangerous task, with numerous, vicious prey to attack, he's just about drooling over the idea. If your Consular says (s)he is looking forward to the challenge, he's even happier. You're proving you really are Madame Scorekeeper's chosen.

3) He does not like taking the easy path and he does have a high sense of honor. On the Esseles, it's possible to get 300+ affection points on a pure LS run. He does not approve spacing the engineers. Why? Because they are honorable enough to suggest risking their lives, but also just presented a way to save everyone by taking on a more challenging fight. He also approves if you tell the ambassador about the plan to leave her behind, but then make sure she's saved. It's only honorable that she know the full truth and can deal with the captain on her own terms. Just remember good doesn't have to mean "nice." He also approves if you openly express looking forward to kicking Ironfist in the shebs.

4) About not wanting enemies spared; remember how he joined you in the first place. A hunter being captured is something a lot worse than death. To kill an enemy means he adds to your score, and he can make his own accounting. To capture alive means you have condemned your enemy to suffer the loss of all honor and not added to your own score in the process. He can't wrap his head around that.

5) He's a big believer in helping people help themselves. He won't like it if you do someone's hunting for them, but if you support that person while they hunt, he approves. It's a subtle distinction, but it's one you need to remember. You won't always be there, and eventually that person will need to hunt on their own. Are you helping that person help themselves or doing their work for them?

You're going to get the vast majority of affection from gifts, so don't worry about it.

He is not 1% as hard to please as Ashara is for a Dark Sided Female Inquisitor. Nothing helps, she hates convo options, and gives like 5 points for her favorite gifts. QQ about something else please.[/QUOTe]

Give her grade 5 purple quality gifts (of what she likes, of course). Those give rather more than 5 points. QQ about something else please.

Edited by branmakmuffin

If you want a cheep easy way to grind out Qyzen rep just solo The Esseles and pick the convo options he likes. If you got the gear and the skills you can solo that place at very low levels. You can get a good amount of rep without having to resort to dark side options.

Believe me, if you're having trouble with Qyzen, you're going to find Tharan and Zenith royal headaches.

I'm having my problems with them as well, I must admit.

By the way, I played Qysen's personal quest on Tatooine a few days ago, and it was so much explaining everything ! I just wish that it had been much, much more earlier ... This personal quest basically explains almost everything of Qysen's way of thinking.

And, by the way, I believe now that Trandoshans believe Wookies to be perfect for THe Scorekeeper because they are not weak,m but instead very, very dangerous and more than an even match for Trandoshans. It's the degenerated Trandoshans who would sacrify weaker ones (like can be seen in The Clone Wars). Honourable Trandoshans honour the danger in enemies, and the more dangerous an enemy is, the more points the enemy brings. That's why they regard Wookies as being "perfect" for The Scorekeeper.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer