Fix player lag for the love of god!

Glorthox

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also was thinking about buying this computer. In your honest opinion guys is it a good buy?

Black Gamer Power WA550B Desktop PC with AMD Quad-Core FX-4300 Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 7 Home Premium, Nividia Geforce GT630 graphics card, 3.8 ghz

Also was thinking about buying this computer. In your honest opinion guys is it a good buy?

Black Gamer Power WA550B Desktop PC with AMD Quad-Core FX-4300 Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 7 Home Premium, Nividia Geforce GT630 graphics card, 3.8 ghz

AMD cpu and a low end last generation GPU? Really pushing the boat out there.

HP Pavilion I have mostly seen are laptops.

No matter though, your is under minimum requirements on site and is crap for gaming today - 1.8 GHz AMD CPU and low end GPU (today standards) with Vista on 3.25/4 GB RAM = SWTOR not work.

My desktop currently:

Core i5 3570K, Asus z77 pro, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia 650 TI, 7200 HDD, 700 W PSU

Game run smooth as silk.

Old one was with Core Duo 3.2 GHz, 6GB RAM and ATI 5750 ... had to play on medium settings with tweaks but was very well playable (not going bellow 30 FPS in 16m OPs and fleet, nice 55-60 on worlds - VSync ON).

So well, I hate this advise but have no other - go get a new one.

And stay away of those office line PCs, gaming rig and office PC are totally different things.

AMD CPUs I avoid ...

You can use your 5750 - would give similar output to 630 ... not looking good for new PC.

Check refurbished ones then... something like my i5 desktop from previous post could go well in your budget if refurbished.

I got it for around 900$ (assembly) without HDD (had 4 from previous 1 - more than enough) before 2 months - new.

Edit: give me site you look prices on...

Edited by morfius

Walmart is the place I found the one I listed LOL. I just don't have a bunch of money to blow on a gaming computer. Swtor is the only game that lags for me, other than WoW's new raid content ( With the insane graphics that lags my comp ) Other people have stated on other blogs that you could build a pretty killer one for under 1k.

Walmart is the place I found the one I listed LOL. I just don't have a bunch of money to blow on a gaming computer. Swtor is the only game that lags for me, other than WoW's new raid content ( With the insane graphics that lags my comp ) Other people have stated on other blogs that you could build a pretty killer one for under 1k.

You already have monitor so...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-Intel-i5-4570-8GB-RAM-1TB/27444012

Here you go for 750$ - new one :)

It is not 650TI - may need to remove bloom from settings.

DirectX 9 Redstributable from Microsoft.com

Pre-rendered frames = 1 (Nvidia control panel)

I will look into it, after i consult a friend about building my own.

Building/assembly will be always better if builder knows what exactly to use and do.

But again stay away from AMD CPUs... Core i5 is best gaming CPU, SWTOR works better with NVidia GPUs, go for at least 8 GB RAM, above middle ground MB, fast HDD, and good PSU (600W quality one as minimum)

Edited by morfius

I don't have thousands to spend on a new computer guys. That computer that i specified is only about 550 bucks. At most I might be able to spend 800-900 bucks.
I spent just under $500 on a new processor, RAM, motherboard and gfx card and a tower and I get zero lag on max settings in any scenario (ops. pvp etc.). Comps aren't as expensive to build as they used to be. Edited by Couver

I will look into it, after i consult a friend about building my own.

That is certainly much better idea. Buying computer from Walmart or something like that is never a good idea to spend money. If you are really going to buy a assembled computer, do that at a computer store (not Bestbuy, that is the same deal as Walmart).

Or ask a friend to help you pick components and help with assembly (although nowadays all you need is basic reading comprehension for the manuals and philips screwdriver)

I did the control+shift+F, and the number at load screen shows primarly red, with flashes of green.

Oh well. Another post about "Server Lag" comes down to local hardware issues. At least this got resolved pretty quickly. To try and elaborate on what you're seeing here: When the framerate numbers go red, the game is indicating that your video card was ready to draw another frame, but your CPU hadn't finished doing all the work it needed to supply the frame (updating positions, stats, animations, etc). Basically, its showing you that its your CPU that is holding you back.

As others have said: That's not a gaming computer. Its a mediocre CPU with a non-gaming video card (its more suited to non-3D games and DVD playback). For SWTOR (and other modern games) you're going to want to look for something more like an Intel i5 and an nVidia 560/660 or AMD 6850. Obviously there is better hardware than that, but I tried to pick stuff that you'd be more likely to find in your budget.

In general, I'd avoid buying PCs from Walmart. While the prices are lower, you're getting much less. Plus they often lie to you about what its good for. And they're a fairly slimy company. Obviously, you can build a really nice PC for $900. You could certainly get by with $800. And you can find some decent deals in stores for pre-built systems at $750 if you're willing to give up some performance. But at "cheap" pricing and shopping at Walmart, you're asking to get low performance. Remember: Low Price != Good Value.

Can't begin to tell you how many times player lag has either killed me, made me fall off cliffs, or forced me into a balle with a mob. This is the only MMO that makes me lag when another player is nearby. Swtor when it was a subscription only thing didn't have player lag. But ever since the F2P engine was released I have gotten nothing but player lag. I never want to go to Makeb because of this reason and for some reason Makeb is the worst. Other core worlds and fleet has tons of player lag. Jeez I lag even when another player invites me to a group.

So come on EAware, fix this problem.

Most likely your lag is coming from the server cluster that the planet you are playing on is located. I only lag on certain planets such as Balmorra and Alderaan.

Most likely your lag is coming from the server cluster that the planet you are playing on is located. I only lag on certain planets such as Balmorra and Alderaan.

His lag is due 1.8 GHz CPU, servers have nothing to do with it... maybe your PC is lagging too?

Two points:

1: Read the rest of the thread. It's clear that the lag is not coming from the server cluster.

2: You're falling into the same trap that the OP did: Balmorra and Alderaan don't lag more than other planets. However, they are larger maps and many people's PCs experience CPU/GPU stress while playing on them, resulting in frame drops which is incorrectly interpreted as server lag.

Rules of Thumb:

Server Lag : Felt by everyone, at the same time, and in very similar magnitudes

Remote Network Lag : Felt by a large number of people, but not all. The severity of lag varies from person to person.

Local Network Lag: Felt by just one person (though randomness means that there are dozens of people seeing local network lag at any minute). Severity is dependent on local network. Players in the same area as the lagging player may be able to detect the the player is lagging. Local player sees no drop in framerate.

Display Lag: Felt by just one person. Severity is determined by hardware stress. Players in the same area cannot detect that the player is lagging. Local player sees a drop in framerate.

Everyone here should know the engine is crap. Just go on fleet and see how bad it lags. People get random disconnects. One night, everyone in my group got disconnected in various intervals. It was crazy. Bioware won't fix it because they'd have to redo the entire game to fix it. That's not going to happen.

I'm on Fleet all the time. It never lags. I don't random disconnect.

I built the computer I use for SWTOR the August before the game was released. It cost $1,600 at the time. I don't have an insanely powerful rig. Just a rig.

If your computer is insufficient, may I suggest visiting the graphics setting options and turning everything down to its lowest value? Try that for a few days. If it's better, you have a hardware deficiency. By "if", I mean, "when".

To the OP, if a single player coming into your frame crushes your framerate, then you have something horribly wrong on your end. If it was the game engine at fault, then every single player who had another player come into their frame would experience the same thing you do, and nobody would play the game.

You might notice that this is a parallel to that other post, already linked in this thread, in which the OP insisted that network lag was not on his end, but on BioWare's.

Let me re-state this for clarity: If you have an issue so great that you can't imagine how other people are playing the game around it, the issue is on your end and not in the game.

If you approach it from that perspective, with modesty and humility, there are a lot of people on these forums who will help you sort it out.

Two points:

1: Read the rest of the thread. It's clear that the lag is not coming from the server cluster.

2: You're falling into the same trap that the OP did: Balmorra and Alderaan don't lag more than other planets. However, they are larger maps and many people's PCs experience CPU/GPU stress while playing on them, resulting in frame drops which is incorrectly interpreted as server lag.

Rules of Thumb:

Remote Network Lag : Felt by a large number of people, but not all. The severity of lag varies from person to person.

Local Network Lag: Felt by just one person (though randomness means that there are dozens of people seeing local network lag at any minute). Severity is dependent on local network. Players in the same area as the lagging player may be able to detect the the player is lagging. Local player sees no drop in framerate.

Display Lag: Felt by just one person. Severity is determined by hardware stress. Players in the same area cannot detect that the player is lagging. Local player sees a drop in framerate.

Pretty much listen to this and basically everything Malastare has to say on these issues; you'll be better off for it.

Two points:

Rules of Thumb:

I can guarantee my lag on those planets is not my pc or my connection lol. Also, when I lag I usually ask in chat and everyone says yes. I rarely if ever have seen a no when I asked.

Edited by spanthegnome

You already have monitor so...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-Intel-i5-4570-8GB-RAM-1TB/27444012

Here you go for 750$ - new one :)

It is not 650TI - may need to remove bloom from settings.

DirectX 9 Redstributable from Microsoft.com

Pre-rendered frames = 1 (Nvidia control panel)

This should run the game just fine.

As a side note, learning how to build a computer is valuable in itself, but something that I'd wait until I have spare money for the hobby. The chances are slim, but its possible to damage those expensive parts. Having to wait 3-4 years to buy a new computer due to budget constraints would really suck with how out of date your current computer already is.

I can guarantee my lag on those planets is not my pc or my connection lol.

Provide supporting information then:

1) Your framerate numbers as reported by the game, along with the color of the text

2) Your connection latency, as reported by the game

3) Your CPU and GPU temperatures

4) Your CPU and GPU usage numbers. Be sure to list per-core CPU usage, as only two of them really matter.

5) The packet loss rate on the socket as reported by Resource Monitor

6) Your system specs (propbably only need CPU, GPU, and RAM)

Also, when I lag I usually ask in chat and everyone says yes. I rarely if ever have seen a no when I asked.

I can guarantee that not everyone says yes. Instead, everyone who is having lag and feels like responding says yes. You created a perfect storm of Confirmation Bias and Sampling Bias. People who don't have lag are unlikely to speak up just to say "No", and you're unlikely to notice or care about people who don't reinforce your belief.

Last night I was playing on Alderaan, and coincidentally, I was actually monitoring my graphical performance (had to reinstall drivers, was testing new antialiasing settings). Alderaan does push my GPU (and CPU) harder than other planets, but the framerate drops are just in the 5-12fps range, so its very minor. However, someone else did just what you described. They said the lag was horrible and asked if everyone saw it. Two people said yes. Then the original commentor said they needed to fix it. Slowly, over the next two minutes, about a dozen people reported in that they saw no lag, often with latency numbers. So, who was telling the truth? The three people who insisted that everyone had lag, or the twelve who said that a minority of people were seeing lag?