We shouldn't be able to see the opposing team's lineup or ships at all.

bigbobsr

Seeing the opposition's ships and pilots before battle means both side have exceptional Intelligence Service. Not knowing who or what you are up against should be the norm. You wouldn't know (guess) you are up against a well organized enemy with excellent comm links and veterans or aces. Could be the enemy has to send out new pilots that just got their wings with little or no upgrades to their ships. Or a mixture?

Will they be heavy Scouts? Gunships? etc.? Will we have to change ships after one is destroyed to a different one to counter them? Will they swap out as well? (yes I know you can do this now).

Just some thoughts.

i don't like that idea... i prefer to see who i'm playing with/against... there's just some people you don't wanna play against and it's good to know if their on the field beforehand... people still have the option to leave if they don't like who they're playing against... it's a game not real war, so i should have the choice to pick who i do and do not want to play against/with... it's better to make that decision before the match begins so the vacated slots can be filled quickly than to abandon in mid fight...

i don't like that idea... i prefer to see who i'm playing with/against... there's just some people you don't wanna play against and it's good to know if their on the field beforehand... people still have the option to leave if they don't like who they're playing against... it's a game not real war, so i should have the choice to pick who i do and do not want to play against/with... it's better to make that decision before the match begins so the vacated slots can be filled quickly than to abandon in mid fight...

Why aren't there people you want to play against? Kill you too much? jw

But I think you should only know the player's name, not the specific ship they are currently using. It can be used as an element of surprise work both ways.

Edited by Sadishist

But I think you should only know the player's name, not the specific ship they are currently using. It can be used as an element of surprise work both ways.

Actually I'd like to see the opposite, how does the enemy know who is flying this (insert ship type here)? Makes no sense, and it encourages ganking of certain names when seen.

Actually I'd like to see the opposite, how does the enemy know who is flying this (insert ship type here)? Makes no sense, and it encourages ganking of certain names when seen.

as one who's spent many games with a four man premade on my tail the entire match, this wouldn't be a bad idea.

if 'pub can read imp IFF codes and vice-versa: there's been a massive security breach on both sides.

I believe for some reason it's actually standard broadcasting codes. I seem to recall Wedge et al. using IFF readings to identify key targets. Need to re-read the X-Wing series, though.

Besides, do you really think SIS or Imperial Intelligence are all that competent? Massive agent spoiler below.

In all but one ending for the agent, Imperial Intelligence is taken over by the Sith, who aren't exactly mindful of that kind of thing. SIS never seemed nearly as good at what they do as Imperial Intelligence, either.