Best Bomber

CommanderDroda

Hey guys. I'm going to purchase a bomber for my Imperial Agent and I'm wondering the abilities of each of the Imperial bombers are. Basically I want to know which one is better. I bought the Dustmaker gunship and regretted it pretty early on. I learned that the more expensive ship isn't always the best one.

Primarily I want a bomber that can take a lot of damage.

Edited by CommanderDroda

So sorry to hear you fell into the Dustmaker trap. That ship should never have been released in that state.

Either Bomber can be built to be the toughest ship out there, since both can equip Overcharged Shield and Engine-to-Shield Transfer. So in that respect they are equal.

The biggest differences between the two are these:

1) Hyperspace Beacon -- The Miner is the only one that can drop a HB, which is a placeable spawn point for your team (goes away if you're destroyed though). Note that this takes your engine spot, meaning you can't take Engine-to-Shield Transfer. So you'll lose some survivability if you use HB.

2) Repair Drone -- The Droner is the only one that can drop RD. This repairs hull of you and allies and (once upgraded) either repairs shields as well or refills ammo. This uses up your Shield Slot meaning you can't take Overcharged Shields, so you'll lose some shield strength. However, you can spec your Repair Drone to heal your shields to partially make up for it.

3) Mines vs. Drones -- Mines have a much shorter cooldown but only deal their damage once. Drones have a longer cooldown but will deal continuous damage until destroyed. Mine explosions trigger only on a very small area. Drones can shoot targets that are thousands of meters away (depending on drone type). Mines do AOE damage. Drones attack a single target at a time.

I hope that helps :) Fortunately, both Bombers are excellent, and it's really hard to bulid a bad one. Neither one is like the Dustmaker.

Shayd's post is pretty accurate, with the exception of seeker mines, which only hit one target by default. One of the t5 upgrades lets them do half damage in AoE, but the other lets you drop a third - and three seeker mines tend to kill things.

The Warcarrier/Legion seems like it does better on its own, and the Rampart/Razerwire seem like they do better when you have group support (because hyperspace beacon is so critical to a team's strategy).

Of course, my favorite strategy is to team up with a buddy so you can bring both types of bombers. Just sit on a point (C in Shipyards or B on mesas, likely) with one of you covering the top and the other covering the bottom. Nothing will get through.

Wait, so you don't get a free bomber at all? Not even a crappy base one?

Only people who were subbed before November got a free gunship (the good one, even). Not sure why anyone should get a free bomber.

Edited by Armonddd

Shayd's post is pretty accurate, with the exception of seeker mines, which only hit one target by default. One of the t5 upgrades lets them do half damage in AoE, but the other lets you drop a third - and three seeker mines tend to kill things.

The Warcarrier/Legion seems like it does better on its own, and the Rampart/Razerwire seem like they do better when you have group support (because hyperspace beacon is so critical to a team's strategy).

Of course, my favorite strategy is to team up with a buddy so you can bring both types of bombers. Just sit on a point (C in Shipyards or B on mesas, likely) with one of you covering the top and the other covering the bottom. Nothing will get through.

Ah, but both types get Seeker Mines :)

Only people who were subbed before November got a free gunship (the good one, even). Not sure why anyone should get a free bomber.

Because you get a free Scout and Striker, and I was in fact one of the many people who received the free GS for being subbed.

Because you get a free Scout and Striker, and I was in fact one of the many people who received the free GS for being subbed.

"The many"? Take a look at the player lists the next time you get a match - 90% of people who haven't bought a new ship are flying two stock ships, not three.

The vast majority of players get two free ships. There's no reason for a third or fourth, especially when one of those ships is ridiculously broken.

Thanks for all the input! I'm liking the sound of drones and hyperbeacons. Any suggestions based on that?

You can't have both. Drones (both offensive and Repair) are on the Dronecarrier. Hyperspace Beacon is on the Minelayer.

Honestly if you want something a bit more interactive, I'd recommend the Minelayer. Mines have much shorter cooldown than Drones.

Wait, so you don't get a free bomber at all? Not even a crappy base one?

Nope! You have to buy both. It's just like the gunship in that way (you might get a free Quarrel if you were subbed during the free Quarrel period- I sure do, but no one else does).

I actually think one of the bomber should be baseline. They are relatively noob friendly, especially compared to the finesse scout and the EXTREMELY niche overall weakest ship, the Starguard.

Thanks for all the input! I'm liking the sound of drones and hyperbeacons. Any suggestions based on that?

That's like saying you're liking the idea of burst laser cannons and emps, or ion missiles and ion cannons. You can't have both.

If you want the hyperbeacon, go minelayer.

Want drones, go dronecarrier.