The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The REAL Most Powerful Revisited

Beniboybling

OK so there are actually some things I want to discuss. :D

1. Concerning the playable characters, should we take out of game cinematics as accurate representations of ability? I'm referring to things like this, ShootingNova treats them as valid in his respect thread so I thought it worth discussing.

2. Considering recent canon upheavals, how are we going to treat canon itself in these discussions? Will we be abiding by the old tiered canon system? Are statements from GL still valid? Should #1 and #2 still be fixed?

1. not sure

2. I say until something new directly contradicts old canon it might as well stay as it is.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Concerning the playable characters, should we take out of game cinematics as accurate representations of ability? I'm referring to things like this, ShootingNova treats them as valid in his respect thread so I thought it worth discussing.

2. Considering recent canon upheavals, how are we going to treat canon itself in these discussions? Will we be abiding by the old tiered canon system? Are statements from GL still valid? Should #1 and #2 still be fixed?

1. I was thinking just dropping game characters. But we do need to have a discussion on what is valid as far as game mechanics go. And I'm referring to more than just the classes here.

2. Leave it as it is. I feel those statements are still valid.

If you take the new canon into suggestion then I'm afraid you'll be stuck to what Disney considers Canon. I see no reason to believe that Disney Canon and Legends shouldn't be separate.

1. No,.... and maybe yes... abilities are relative in a game world, they may HAVE all of those abilities but the exact extent or strength is unknown.

2. Keep doing as we have been doing.

Edited by tunewalker

1. I was thinking just dropping game characters. But we do need to have a discussion on what is valid as far as game mechanics go. And I'm referring to more than just the classes here.

2. Leave it as it is. I feel those statements are still valid.

I think its time we took note of them, I'm being doing some work compiling feats and I think we have stuff to work with. However as I said before currently I'm only treating cutscenes and accolades as canon. Though according to Chee, game mechanics should be considered canon unless they are there solely for the purposes of the game.

However I do believe that Darth Nox and the Emperor's Wrath aren't contenders, there is just too much competition.

Edited by Beniboybling

I think its time we took note of them, I'm being doing some work compiling feats and I think we have stuff to work with. However as I said before currently I'm only treating cutscenes and accolades as canon. Though according to Chee, game mechanics should be considered canon unless they are there solely for the purposes of the game.

Well, that's pretty much fighting in general, to be honest.

Can we at least agree that game feats tend to be exaggerated? And, honestly, a lot of fight mechanics make no sense from a canonical viewpoint. I'd tell you what I mean, but I could only do that if you've finished SoR.

Well, that's pretty much fighting in general, to be honest.

Can we at least agree that game feats tend to be exaggerated? And, honestly, a lot of fight mechanics make no sense from a canonical viewpoint. I'd tell you what I mean, but I could only do that if you've finished SoR.

Well yeah those would be mechanics their to serve the games purposes.

Though this is probably more important for characters other than classes, which I assume is what you are referring to. I'm assuming that in the final boss fight Revan starts throwing down Harrowers and such. :D

In that case yes, they should be taken as exaggerated. However a general gist can be taken away from them e.g. Revan has the ability to Force grip and hurl multiple large space rocks in rapid succession.

Edited by Beniboybling

Well yeah those would be mechanics their to serve the games purposes.

Though this is probably more important for characters other than classes, which I assume is what you are referring to. I'm assuming that in the final boss fight Revan starts throwing down Harrowers and such. :D

In that case yes, they should be taken as exaggerated. However a general gist can be taken away from them e.g. Revan has the ability to Force grip and hurl multiple large space rocks in rapid succession.

No, he doesn't do that. :p

I wouldn't say he could throw them easily, though. And certainly not while getting stabbed, shocked, etc.

I have none, I would be interested to here yours.

Well, I think we should do it in a step-by-step process. Get the candidates, get feats and reasons, write comparison and refine it in PMs (for the Council), post the comparison, and then people can debate the findings. Once the debate runs its course (going around in circles or no one wants to give in), a final decision can be made. Not sure how we'll do that part yet, but that's how I feel it should go.

We usually got bogged down at one spot or another and the debate would go on forever, so hopefully a method like this would prevent that, mostly.

Starkiller Clone>Galen Marek. Use them as two separate individuals.

This, although I don't recall anyone here using them as if they were the same person. ...But anyway, yes, they are different to one another and shouldn't be used as the same guy.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well, I think we should do it in a step-by-step process. Get the candidates, get feats and reasons, write comparison and refine it in PMs (for the Council), post the comparison, and then people can debate the findings. Once the debate runs its course (going around in circles or no one wants to give in), a final decision can be made. Not sure how we'll do that part yet, but that's how I feel it should go.

We usually got bogged down at one spot or another and the debate would go on forever, so hopefully a method like this would prevent that, mostly.

Ah I see what your referring to, I was thinking we could limit the list of candidates to three, and demand extensive reasoning and even comparison before they are selected, as opposed to one line suggestions. Basically how we usually operate, but in this case as you suggest a lot more refined. Basically your method, it should work well.

One thing though, in regards to the comparison, I think a final verdict should be refrained on, as well as verdicts on the categories, just give an unbiased assessment of their abilities in the context of these fields, and then debate conclusions with everyone, that would avoid the decision being too insulated, and a verdict being preemptive.

Perhaps to streamline it even more, should we debate the categories step by step? E.g. Start with Control, work our way down to Alter, making a Council verdict on each category, before making an overall verdict.