The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The BattleZone Winner's Bracket Match 2: Darth Plagueis vs. Darth Malgus

Aurbere

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, folks. Here's the final decision. Since no scenarios were posted, I will hold the scenario for this one.

Malgus is the superior duelist, certainly. Unfortunately for him, Plagueis would quickly recognize this and find a way to resort to his Force abilities. In this field, Plagueis would seize the advantage. Malgus is powerful, but he hasn't matched the awesome power that Plagueis has been unable to unleash at a moment's notice. Malgus can't match Plagueis in this area, and he would eventually falter under Plagueis' assault.

This isn't to say that Malgus would just stand around and let it happen. He would respond in kind. He would put pressure on Plagueis. But Plagueis would eventually overpower Malgus, likely by bombarding Malgus with Force Waves and objects in the arena. Malgus can take a lot of punishment, but he is not invulnerable. I feel confident in declaring Darth Plagueis the victor.

Comments and conclusions:

I'm sure I don't have to tell everyone not to get upset over this. No decision is easy, but that's the way it always is. Malgus can compete with Plagueis, but he can't defeat him. Plagueis is the superior Sith Lord and would win a contest between the two. Malgus has not faced an enemy as powerful as Plagueis. In the end, Malgus met his match and faltered.

Anyway, that's the final decision. The next battle has yet to be decided. If anyone would like to cast their vote, here's the list again:

Satele Shan

Ki-Adi Mundi

Agen Kolar

Count Dooku

Exar Kun

Darth Vader

Wait, how exactly is Plagueis going to defeat Malgus with his Force powers?

A "Jedi powerhouse" collapsed two buildings near the position of Malgus but failed to stop him. Heck, Malgus have tolerated a blast of power potent enough to shatter a cliff from Satele Shan. Later on, Malgus acquired the talent to form a "protective bubble" around him for superior protection from external threats.

Have Plagueis demonstrated offensive powers on magnitude of the hinted "Jedi powerhouse" and even Satele Shan?

Plagueis's performance against assassins is impressive but they were defenseless mooks. Marek's clone have comparable showing from this footage: http://starwars.com/watch/tfu2_tv_snow.html (guess what? nothing happened to Vader)

In addition, what reasoning is their to dismiss the effectiveness of Malgus's "protective bubble" against offensive powers?

Well, those characters listed are only one half of a match. IE. Dooku being listed there means he already has a match with an unlisted character (for security reasons). Just like Satele.

There was already a Dooku vs. Satele match. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=687802

Satele got punked by Dooku's lightning? You've got to be kidding me.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

I feel that again your underestimate Plagueis' abilities. Yes those assassins were defenseless but he atomised them.

Few Force Users, Malgus included, have been capable of this. Using Galen Marek is not really a valid example either considering Marek is demonstrably more powerful than Vader and Malgus, and one of the most Force Users ever. It is a nigh unprecedented ability, only replicated by the most powerful of Force Users. Malgus has failed to match these feats.

Noting of course, that those cinematics are non-canon and not an accurate portrayal of Marek's abilities. Given that in many instances Marek's telekinetic attacks have had a considerable effect on Vader, who his predecessor defeated. And on top of that, Vader was not in close proximity to the blast, and Vader's own power is close to that of Marek's.

On top of that, Vader is demonstrably more powerful than Malgus in every respect. Indeed if Galen Marek can defeat Vader, Plagueis - a superior Force User to Marek - can defeat Malgus, an inferior Force User to Vader.

In the end, Plagueis is the demonstrably superior Force User. However I don't feel Aurbere's scenario is an entirely accurate portrayal of how the fight would have gone, likely Plagueis would have used his superior speed to outmaneuver and evade Malgus' power dueling and simply use the Force to stun him, making him vulnerable.

Altogether I strongly advise you read this thread in its entirety for comprehensive information of Plagueis' abilities.

P.S. I must admit, I'm equally confused by Aurbere's scenario regarding Satele Shan. However I still feel Dooku would still be able to win, not necessarily because he is a superior Force User - though he is very powerful - but because he is a superior and more cunning duelist, and with several stylistic advantages. See here.

Edited by Beniboybling

Wait, how exactly is Plagueis going to defeat Malgus with his Force powers?

A "Jedi powerhouse" collapsed two buildings near the position of Malgus but failed to stop him. Heck, Malgus have tolerated a blast of power potent enough to shatter a cliff from Satele Shan. Later on, Malgus acquired the talent to form a "protective bubble" around him for superior protection from external threats.

Have Plagueis demonstrated offensive powers on magnitude of the hinted "Jedi powerhouse" and even Satele Shan?

Plagueis's performance against assassins is impressive but they were defenseless mooks. Marek's clone have comparable showing from this footage: http://starwars.com/watch/tfu2_tv_snow.html (guess what? nothing happened to Vader)

In addition, what reasoning is their to dismiss the effectiveness of Malgus's "protective bubble" against offensive powers?

This debate is closed. Malgus wasn't good enough, thus Plagueis won. End of discussion.

Satele got punked by Dooku's lightning? You've got to be kidding me.

Note that provided scenarios are not entirely indicative of what would happen, but are simply an attempt to bring every presented argument into play.

That debate is also closed. Satele wasn't good enough, thus Dooku won. End of discussion.

Edit: As a side-note. Any complaints can be directed to the home thread so that I can keep them in one location (for the future). Here's the link: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=611664

Edited by Aurbere

P.S. I must admit, I'm equally confused by Aurbere's scenario regarding Satele Shan.

Dooku would beat Ventress any time any day, because he is Sir Christopher Lee. And you don't mess with Sir Christopher Lee. ;)

Replace Ventress with Satele :p

Seriously, though, see my response to Legend about that.