The BattleZone Winner's Bracket Match 2: Darth Plagueis vs. Darth Malgus

Aurbere

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dooku.

Dooku, eh?

I've been moving the brackets around a bit, but unfortunately there are going to be some heavily lopsided matches, especially for Vader, who will stay where he is otherwise he ends up facing someone that he's faced in the actual canon.

Dooku, eh?

I've been moving the brackets around a bit, but unfortunately there are going to be some heavily lopsided matches, especially for Vader, who will stay where he is otherwise he ends up facing someone that he's faced in the actual canon.

Ya we knew that was coming in before any of this started. And I chose Dooku cus we havent heard much of him in a while he is a really cool character and fun villian and come on its Christopher Lee.

Before I go about making the decision, I would like to pose the same question to you all that I did last time. Which match is next?

Darth Plagueis

Darth Malak

Agen Kolar

Exar Kun

Darth Bane

Kit Fisto

Darth Vader

Count Dooku

Hoh? We just had Plagueis, and Malak isn't in the winner's bracket!

As for my choice, something not lop-sided please.

Edited by Beniboybling

Hoh? We just had Plagueis, and Malak isn't in the winner's bracket!

As for my choice, something not lop-sided please.

Whoops! Edited Plagueis out of that list.

Edit: The list shows all matches that I've written, not just winner's bracket.

Edit #2: Taking your request into consideration, I plan to adjust the brackets to reduce the number of lopsided matches.

Edited by Aurbere

OK, I just made some changes to the brackets to hopefully reduce lopsided matches. Here is a revised list:

Agen Kolar

Count Dooku

Darth Vader

Kit Fisto

Vader, unfortunately, has to stay where he is, otherwise there is the chance for him to face someone he has already faced/defeated in the mythos. That should fix itself once we get into the later stages.

OK, I just made some changes to the brackets to hopefully reduce lopsided matches. Here is a revised list:

Agen Kolar

Count Dooku

Darth Vader

Kit Fisto

Vader, unfortunately, has to stay where he is, otherwise there is the chance for him to face someone he has already faced/defeated in the mythos. That should fix itself once we get into the later stages.

Since Dooku isnt off the list my vote stands :D.

It's still open until I post the final decision. So by all means! :)

Well then, here goes.

Plagueis is definitely superior when it comes to force technique. Plagueis may not be a tactician, but he is still a Muun, and Muuns are very smart. If Malgus gets tunnel visioned, Plagueis can easily manipulate the situation to defeat Malgus.

I think Plagueis wins.

Well then, here goes.

Plagueis is definitely superior when it comes to force technique. Plagueis may not be a tactician, but he is still a Muun, and Muuns are very smart. If Malgus gets tunnel visioned, Plagueis can easily manipulate the situation to defeat Malgus.

I think Plagueis wins.

Your opinion has been noted.

I'll be making the final decision tomorrow.

While it seems clear that Plagueis is the favored combatant here, I thought I'd throw in some thoughts for Malgus.

If Plagueis does indeed defeat Malgus, which it seems is likely, it should be because he earns an early advantage and presses it. Malgus is not presented as a warrior to to be beaten through exhaustion. He is a Sith in touch with his rage in a manner unmatched by any other (maybe not greater, or more powerful, but decidedly different). It is the man's source of power, and he has drawn upon it in such a way for such a time that I do not belief he could be blinded by it in a way other Sith might. He is depicted as a man forever improving himself through the fires of battle and I do not see something that has been advantageous to his progression as a Sith ever being turned against him in the manner some would suggest. If he is to be outmaneuvered, it is through situations surrounding a battle, in the preparation rather than the execution. In straight-forward combat, there is far less opportunity to place him in a disadvantageous situation that wasn't already present.

Malgus' arc as a character is defined through improvement and adaptation. Wounds are either healed or supplanted with cybernetics. And none of his modifications have been shown to decrease his capabilities. Neither has his age. As such, Malgus has shown only improvement throughout his career, unburdened by setbacks or injuries. The SWTOR:E states that Malgus was regarded as one of the Empire's greatest warriors prior to the Great War's start, when he was still in his late-twenties. Now add thirty more years of training and progress, and you have a warrior beyond standard capabilities.

He is not just a brutish warrior. He is also shown to possess a keen mind and an adaptability not present in his peers. He has found worth is the art of war and fighting outside of his own culture, like with the Kaleesh and Mandalorians. It stands to reason there is a chance that his fighting style incorporates ideas other Sith might consider non-traditional. Not subjecting himself to the same vacuum as other warriors of his time, his fighting potential could have been much higher than other Sith.

Also, the nature of his defeat leaves more questions than answers. The mixture of game mechanics and story elements make it difficult to say how Malgus was truly defeated. If we go with the assumption that it actually was four of the Empire's greatest heroes banding together to bring him down, I believe that speaks only to his strength and abilities. A single combatant against four well-coordinated foes requires a great advantage if they hope to survive. Even if two of the foes weren't Force-sensitive, their presence, and the mixture of such wildly different fighting styles and methods could overwhelm even the most powerful Force user. Before meeting his end, Malgus faces his opponent in direct combat. No ambushes or tricks, just a straight-forward battle. And while an in-game fight cannot properly convey the flow of battle and how its participants react over the course of it, it believe it provides a hint of Malgus' ability. Particularly in the fact that he does not steadily decline until he expires. He holds steady, maintaining his power, and in his final moments actually becomes stronger, calling upon strong manifestations of the Force, unleashing powerful, steady streams of lightning.

Malgus understands the Force. He knows how to use it, and he knows how to defend against it. He is a juggernaut, both the unstoppable force and the immovable object, as per his archetype. There is no 'X blows past his defenses' unless X is something he's never fought against or experienced before (something I believe within the power of Plagueis). He is not unbeatable, for from it. But in singles combat, without the usual behind the scenes maneuvering and manipulation, I believe he is a stronger contender in his prime than some would believe.

OK, folks. Here's the final decision. Since no scenarios were posted, I will hold the scenario for this one.

Malgus is the superior duelist, certainly. Unfortunately for him, Plagueis would quickly recognize this and find a way to resort to his Force abilities. In this field, Plagueis would seize the advantage. Malgus is powerful, but he hasn't matched the awesome power that Plagueis has been unable to unleash at a moment's notice. Malgus can't match Plagueis in this area, and he would eventually falter under Plagueis' assault.

This isn't to say that Malgus would just stand around and let it happen. He would respond in kind. He would put pressure on Plagueis. But Plagueis would eventually overpower Malgus, likely by bombarding Malgus with Force Waves and objects in the arena. Malgus can take a lot of punishment, but he is not invulnerable. I feel confident in declaring Darth Plagueis the victor.

Comments and conclusions:

I'm sure I don't have to tell everyone not to get upset over this. No decision is easy, but that's the way it always is. Malgus can compete with Plagueis, but he can't defeat him. Plagueis is the superior Sith Lord and would win a contest between the two. Malgus has not faced an enemy as powerful as Plagueis. In the end, Malgus met his match and faltered.

Anyway, that's the final decision. The next battle has yet to be decided. If anyone would like to cast their vote, here's the list again:

Satele Shan

Ki-Adi Mundi

Agen Kolar

Count Dooku

Exar Kun

Darth Vader

Anyway I'm sure I don't have to tell everyone not to get upset over this. No decision is easy, but that's the way it always is. Malgus can compete with Plagueis, but he can't defeat him. Plagueis is the superior Sith Lord and would win a contest between the two. Malgus has not faced an enemy as powerful as Plagueis. In the end, Malgus met his match and faltered.
To be quite honest I think most of us though Plagueis would win, it was just a question of how badly.

Anyways, I'd vote... Count Dooku.

Dooku seems the favorite. I must confess something pre-match. It's not entirely even, but it is the closest one I could give him based on the rest of the combatants. Originally, Dooku was going to face Shaak Ti, but I changed it early on because I believed Ventress vs. Ti would be a much more interesting contest. In hindsight, switching Ti and Dooku's opponent would have made both matches very interesting.

Anyway, I'll see if more people vote.

Dooku seems the favorite. I must confess something pre-match. It's not entirely even, but it is the closest one I could give him based on the rest of the combatants. Originally, Dooku was going to face Shaak Ti, but I changed it early on because I believed Ventress vs. Ti would be a much more interesting contest. In hindsight, switching Ti and Dooku's opponent would have made both matches very interesting.

Anyway, I'll see if more people vote.

You mean doing Ventress vs Dooku? 0.0

Now granted, she was far more on his level by her "death" than after the Savage Incident, but I can't see that matchup going any other way than Dooku's :p

You mean doing Ventress vs Dooku? 0.0

Now granted, she was far more on his level by her "death" than after the Savage Incident, but I can't see that matchup going any other way than Dooku's :p

Perhaps I misspoke. :p

I meant Ventress vs. Dooku's current opponent. Dooku would beat Ventress any time any day, because he is Sir Christopher Lee. And you don't mess with Sir Christopher Lee. ;)

Edited by Aurbere