How does anyone fly a gunship

Tenacity

Sideways. All the ships in GSF regardless of base maneuverability make banking turns with a fairly wide arc, but if you pull up or down you change directions much more sharply. So considering most people seem to keep themselves level on X and Y, I instead level myself on Z and it pays dividends. Of course, when I've been engaged I'll flip my axis to whatever angle best benefits a survivable dog fight, but otherwise I like to keep it sideways.

It is initially a bit disorienting though, and could make the average player a bit nauseous.

At this point A is down C is up and B is straight ahead. "above" the satalite is left "below" the satilite is right :D

Agreed. I remember when I first started playing I didn't know what they were since I didn't have access to them. I would get "sniped" occasionally and see the charge and wonder "*** is that"? Then I started noticing some had "Gunships" in the pre-launch screen (and found out it was only if they subbed before a certain date so for that time I had no access to them). For the next few weeks I maxed out my Strike Fighter and spent a lot of time hunting gunships and keeping them away from the satellites.

Well then Gunships for all became available when Preferred got access and I couldn't wait to see what was on the other side of the coin. It didn't go at all like I thought, I couldn't get away from ANYONE (maybe this was due to having 0 upgrades) and couldn't dogfight for ****. Sure my first time out I did 37k damage but my average stat line in the 6-8 games I played as a gunship is 1-3 kills 7-9 assists and 3-4 deaths and 30k or so damage and no objective points. I disliked the style so much outside of those first two days I haven't played as one again and don't think I will. I have a mastered Scout and Strike Fighter and just prefer that type of play much, much more.

Edited by Kain_Turinbar

Oh, you think good flying is your ally, but you merely adopted the flight. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn’t see the speed of other ships until I was already a mastered gunship; by then, it was nothing to me but lightning fast! Your fancy flying tricks betray you, because they belong to me. I will show you how I have learned to fly, whilst running away from an angry swarm of fighters and scouts. Then, I will shoot you. Your precious Distortion Field, gratefully accepted. I will need it. Ah yes, I was wondering what would break first. Your hull, or your shield.

LOL Dav, best comment by far, i'm still laughing (in a good way, of course) :D

Gunships are great at capping objectives though, just have to dare to get stuck in.

ex. 3 ships around objective, switch to ion, blast a turret and drain everyones shields with the AoE.

F3, boost and barrelroll at the sattelite, right-click to stop on a dime, F1 blast the first turret with 2 shots of the burst laser, boost to the 2nd and 3rd taking care of the turrets.

F2, A and S to orient yourself to fly down through the fins, see X self destructed, tab target the next pilot, hit F1, evade and bypass and two burst him down.

Tab to the last dude, see him lining up a shot, scope him and hit him with an ion blast to drain his weapon power, listen to a lock on sound and smile because you know you can take the heat, switch to slugs and finish him off only to evade that missile at the last moment using a barrel roll.

Then set up camp and blast any on comers :cool:

It's not hard, but it does take skill. Also I tend to die when my situational awareness is bad, but that is my own fault :p

Don't let those burst scouts sneak up on ya!

Run for the cap ship! If you can drag three of them with you, that's three of their guys out of the fight at the cost of just you.

Actually, I often zoom right to the Sat I was attacking. Ties up the defenders chasing me around the sat, and then when my engines are more charged and Barrel Roll available, I can zoom away again. If some chase me then I am tying them up. if they don't I can stop to snipe again.

Doesn't always work but it works often enough that I prefer this to running back to mama ship all the time.

Oh, you think good flying is your ally, but you merely adopted the flight. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn’t see the speed of other ships until I was already a mastered gunship; by then, it was nothing to me but lightning fast! Your fancy flying tricks betray you, because they belong to me. I will show you how I have learned to fly, whilst running away from an angry swarm of fighters and scouts. Then, I will shoot you. Your precious Distortion Field, gratefully accepted. I will need it. Ah yes, I was wondering what would break first. Your hull, or your shield.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ so much win

lololol