The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Guide] Sorcerer Healing

Orderken

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a question for you concerning playing a healer.

We were doing Kuat Drive with me as a healer, two dps and a tank. One of the dps kept going around falling from heights and loosing lots of life and nagging me to heal him. I understand I am there for healing you and really I try, but then I needed to go after him neglecting others though somehow they were managing. When he had about more than 3/4 of his life he kept whispering 'heal me, you are a healer' (not even fighting bosses or stronger enemies, mind you). I told him not to tell me how to do my job, you are not dying I keep your health fine, call me when you're dying. It was annoying really. But as I am new to this, was he right to nag me so? I shielded them all the time and honestly, when we are fighting weak enemies I don't heal so much, they can manage without having me watching over every lost life point. Am I doing something wrong? I'm used to guys not waiting for me to replenish my Force in between fights, so sometimes I let them lose a bit of their health only so we could stop. Any tips how to deal with it are welcome.

I've got a question for you concerning playing a healer.

We were doing Kuat Drive with me as a healer, two dps and a tank. One of the dps kept going around falling from heights and loosing lots of life and nagging me to heal him. I understand I am there for healing you and really I try, but then I needed to go after him neglecting others though somehow they were managing. When he had about more than 3/4 of his life he kept whispering 'heal me, you are a healer' (not even fighting bosses or stronger enemies, mind you). I told him not to tell me how to do my job, you are not dying I keep your health fine, call me when you're dying. It was annoying really. But as I am new to this, was he right to nag me so? I shielded them all the time and honestly, when we are fighting weak enemies I don't heal so much, they can manage without having me watching over every lost life point. Am I doing something wrong? I'm used to guys not waiting for me to replenish my Force in between fights, so sometimes I let them lose a bit of their health only so we could stop. Any tips how to deal with it are welcome.

You are there to heal through damage put out by mobs/bosses. You are not there to heal through stupid. No need to heal fall damage, DPS can use their out-of-combat heal for that. Healing through standing in red circles is somewhat situational--you can choose to let the DPS die to teach them not to stand in it, or you can try to heal them in hopes of saving yourself a repair bill later if you know there's an enrage timer. Just know that healing stupid burns through your Force that much faster.

That's what I thought, but this guy made me thinking. I can heal them to full every time allright when there isn't much need for that, but if they want that others need to wait a bit so I can replenish my Force. I have not met many that do that. Sometimes I wonder if ppl know that I need Force for healing and just look at my life bar and seeing it full go to another fight ;-) anyway, thank you for your reply.

Thanks a lot for this insightful guide Orderken, it was enjoyable to read.

I´ve been looking at your spreadsheet but I would like to hear some further comments/explanations from you regarding the alacrity/surge trade-off.

Particularly why you recommend the (around) 250 surge level (as per 2.7) and for what reasons you think this number is optimal and why higher or lower numbers of surge might not be (i.e. what impact would it have on our healing if these numbers are lower or higher).

Hoping to hear from you!

Thank you for taking the time to create this. I am new to this game, not new to healing tho, PvE, PvP even moba's. it is so nice to start a game with access to an up to date guide like this with explanations and discussions. I will be using this often.

• 3 weeks later...

Learned a good bit from the guide. Only recently created a Sorc healer and it's amazing the things you don't pick up on even when you do read the tool-tips and abilities in detail. There's a certain level of understanding I just don't get unless I have it really explained like this guide did.

Great guide!

Today I updated the OP.

1. The links to external sites for skill trees and PVP gear are up-to-date.
  2. I described the fact that Warzone Bolster continues to grant full or nearly full Expertise to certain PVE gear.

I´ve been looking at your spreadsheet but I would like to hear some further comments/explanations from you regarding the alacrity/surge trade-off.

Particularly why you recommend the (around) 250 surge level (as per 2.7) and for what reasons you think this number is optimal and why higher or lower numbers of surge might not be (i.e. what impact would it have on our healing if these numbers are lower or higher).

I'll upload later today a version of this guide that incorporates a reply to your inquiry in Section "PVE" Subsection "BIS Gear".