FEATURE REQUEST: HUD Text for weapon selection

Xnemth

REQUEST: In central HUD area, text indicating what weapon (Secondary in particular) is selected. Short text just outside the circular angle of fire lines on the HUD would be sufficient. CONC = Concussion, CSTR = Cluster etc. (Those two in particular are what are causing this issue.)

REASON: Several missile types have the same fire arc in degrees. This is displayed as a circle on the HUD, within which you targets enemies etc. Toggling between secondary weapons without seeing a visual queue in the form of a change in this circle indicator, makes it difficult to know which is selected. This distracts from tactical planning in combat by causing uncertainty.

Having to look down at the lower right side of the screen to check weapons selection takes the pilots eyes away from the center HUD, and away from dealing with the situation in front of their fighter.

Please consider this request. Cheers!

Move your weapon indicator closer to the center of your screen.

You can edit your GSF user interface by opening your user interface editor, then picking Galactic Starfighter from the interface drop-down menu. You can also scale the UI parts to make them bigger or smaller if you need to make it easier to see.

Because with gunships, it's genuinely impossible to tell without firing a test shot.

What? You can't glance down at your weapons for a second? You can't remember which one you're on? It only changes when you press the button, so keeping track of it isn't very hard, and if you do forget, the icons for slug and ion are radically different. It only takes a split second to tell, and what else are you going to do during that charge time? Stroke yourself?

Edited by Armonddd

What? You can't glance down at your weapons for a second?

No, there is no visual indicator at all of which weapon you have selected.

You can't remember which one you're on? It only changes when you press the button, so keeping track of it isn't very hard, and if you do forget, the icons for slug and ion are radically different.

No, they aren't, they're identical.

Uhh no, they are completely different.

The ion railgun is short and fat, the slug railgun icon is long and thin.

It doesn't change. I hit 1 accidently activating my distortion field. Next thing I know, my lasers went from red to blue with no indication as to what weapon I was using. THERE IS NO VISUAL QUE AS TO WHAT WEAPON YOU HAVE SELECTED (as far as I can tell, and I've played over 50 matches as a gunship). Therefore, having an indicator would be helpful

It doesn't change. I hit 1 accidently activating my distortion field. Next thing I know, my lasers went from red to blue with no indication as to what weapon I was using. THERE IS NO VISUAL QUE AS TO WHAT WEAPON YOU HAVE SELECTED (as far as I can tell, and I've played over 50 matches as a gunship). Therefore, having an indicator would be helpful

There is a visual indicator - it's that icon next to your burst lasers.

I too have accidentally swapped lasers mid-fight. It's my fault for not noticing I hit the button (a tactical cue to go with the visual one), not the game's for not holding my hand and asking me "are you suuuure you want to use ion now?"

Also, I dunno what your keybindings are like, but by default 1 is swap weapons, not distortion field.

There is an indicator... Do I have to log in and show it to you?

Good gods. I don't even PLAY my gunship and I know this.

Look, man:

ION RAILGUN

SLUG RAILGUN

If you can't tell the difference between them you might want to make an appointment to see your optometrist, just saying.

And here is this in case you need an additional refresher.

Edited by silvershadows

No, they aren't, they're identical.

http://puu.sh/6rH2x.jpg

I have tested this extensively; I'll screenshot later today when I can get on. The icon does not change when switching from slug to ion and back.

http://puu.sh/6rHJy.jpg

http://puu.sh/6rHJJ.jpg

http://puu.sh/6rHKC.jpg

http://puu.sh/6rHKI.jpg

I'm actually going to have to get on a map on my gunship and prove it to you.

Got you covered!

Edited by Armonddd

You can't see that screen when you're in scope

Yes. YOU CAN.

And it DOES change.

Wow, you guys are dense or something. Or looking at the wrong icon. Which would really be the first problem anyway.

Look -

ION RAILGUN ACTIVE, SCOPED IN

SLUG RAILGUN ACTIVE, SCOPED IN

ION RAILGUN ACTIVE, NOT SCOPED IN

SLUG RAILGUN ACTIVE, NOT SCOPED IN

Anything left to say?

Yes. YOU CAN.

And it DOES change.

Wow, you guys are dense or something. Or looking at the wrong icon. Which would really be the first problem anyway.

Look -

ION RAILGUN ACTIVE, SCOPED IN

SLUG RAILGUN ACTIVE, SCOPED IN

ION RAILGUN ACTIVE, NOT SCOPED IN

SLUG RAILGUN ACTIVE, NOT SCOPED IN

Anything left to say?

I'll check when I get off work, but I've had it not change. Could've been a bug, but it's definitely happened.

There is a question of whether the charging bar at the top changes color depending on your gun, but I don't think either of us care enough to load up another game.

Nah, at least not on my GS, LOL.

This was like, stumbling out of bed to be confronted by a mass of what is this i dont even.

I'll check when I get off work, but I've had it not change. Could've been a bug, but it's definitely happened.

Chances are, it DID change, but you didn't see it so you tapped the button again and changed it back - I did this myself several times when I was first learning gunship.

Chances are, it DID change, but you didn't see it so you tapped the button again and changed it back - I did this myself several times when I was first learning gunship.

Very possible. Like I said, I'll check after work and confirm. I try not to use my weapons until they're maxxed out so I may've just freaked that I saw blue instead of red. What server are you on silver?