Ideas for New Maps

Nemarus

I love the two current maps, and I'm still having tons of fun in them, but there are still some space battlefields I'd love to fight in...

* Dynamic Asteroid Field -- we've seen plenty of static asteroid fields (where asteroids sit motionless or slowly spin). I want to fly amongst fast moving asteroids of all different sizes going every which way and bouncing off each other ... like in the ESB chase. Reactive piloting skill would be as much a factor of victory as gunnery is currently.

* Fleet Battlespace -- I want to weave in and out of destroyers and dreadnoughts, all of them too busy blasting away at each other to attack fighters, like the Battle of Endor or the beginning of RotS. Of course, this could mesh with a gametype that requires attack/defense of capital ships by fighters. Looks like we're getting this one!

* Nebula Cluster -- Imagine a field of different colored nebulas, with different nebula types having different effects on your ship when you fly through them. Some would drastically reduce sensor and communication range. Some could disable shields. Some could slow you down or cause slow, steady damage to your hull. Of course, this map would really only work with an objective gametype that gives you reason to fly into the nebulas... but what if each time you played the game, the color/effects of the nebulas was randomized? It'd force you to have a wide range of ships to deal with a wide range of possible battle environments.

* Cloud City -- whether it's really Bespin or not, I don't care ... but imagine flying in and around the buildings of a floating city, jetting through visibility-obscuring clouds, or weaving in and out behind explosive tibanna gas canisters

* A Black Hole -- Imagine a map where between each team's spawn point is a small black hole. The map is wide enough such that you can fly around the Black Hole without suffering its effects, but get closer, and your ship begins to get pulled in. At a moderate distance, you could use this gravitational effect to slingshot around the map at high speed. But get too close, and you slip past the event horizon and fall in.

Edited by Nemarus

• 1 month later...

Looks like Denon is going to bring the Fleet Battlespace idea to reality (and no I'm not claiming any responsibility--BioWare likely had all these ideas on their own wall already).

Still ... one down, four to go :)

I love the two current maps, and I'm still having tons of fun in them, but there are still some space battlefields I'd love to fight in...

* Dynamic Asteroid Field -- we've seen plenty of static asteroid fields (where asteroids sit motionless or slowly spin). I want to fly amongst fast moving asteroids of all different sizes going every which way and bouncing off each other ... like in the ESB chase. Reactive piloting skill would be as much a factor of victory as gunnery is currently.

Not going to happen, because engine, moving objects, collision. See also: ship-to-ship collision.

I'd love to fly in all those kind of scenarios. I have a feeling I'd have the highest death totals with the moving asteroids. Remember in Deep Impact where they flew the shuttle armed with the nuclear bombs down the shaft of the comet....yeah it'd be kind of like that.

I don't really like the idea of nebula cluster, for the same reason Spear Pillar is terrible in SSBB. Stage hazards with a large impact on gameplay tend to devalue skill... and introducing randomness to those hazards is even worse. A sudden "screw your strategy/playstyle" because ion railgun the computer rolled the dice wrong is just flat out not fun to play.

Instead, I propose a map set near a binary star system. The satellites are accessible, but solar flares are very common. Every three minutes or so, the satellites shut down (become neutral and uncapturable) and players must return to their capital ship before they get fried. The capital ship then jumps to a new objective with new satellites and the fight begins anew.

(obligatory "omg repost")

I don't really like the idea of nebula cluster, for the same reason Spear Pillar is terrible in SSBB. Stage hazards with a large impact on gameplay tend to devalue skill... and introducing randomness to those hazards is even worse. A sudden "screw your strategy/playstyle" because ion railgun the computer rolled the dice wrong is just flat out not fun to play.

Instead, I propose a map set near a binary star system. The satellites are accessible, but solar flares are very common. Every three minutes or so, the satellites shut down (become neutral and uncapturable) and players must return to their capital ship before they get fried. The capital ship then jumps to a new objective with new satellites and the fight begins anew.

That sounds like a pretty sweet idea, and reminiscent of Ancient Hypergates.

Personally, I think a map set in the atmosphere of Ilum would be awesome. I had also had an idea of a map set around a hyperspace lane. It'd make sense story-wise, that a faction would try to cut off the other from key routes.

To me this sounds a lot like an interstellar GSF version of Hypergate. I approve :tran_grin:

I especially like this idea as I think close games would become even closer. A sat that is only being tenuously held onto by one team, could easily change hands after an automatic reset to the other team. Plus I think dogfights around Sats would be that much fiercer as pilots know they have a limited time to capture/hold/defend a sat before it automatically resets, and so they need to get as many points as possible in that time, or deny the enemy as many points as possible in that short time. Would definitely be interesting.

That sounds like a pretty sweet idea, and reminiscent of Ancient Hypergates.

To me this sounds a lot like an interstellar GSF version of Hypergate. I approve :tran_grin:

so uh... what's hypergates guys

I had also had an idea of a map set around a hyperspace lane. It'd make sense story-wise, that a faction would try to cut off the other from key routes.

Hydian Way Blockade 2.0 -- faction-neutral pirates (mandalorians? you RP buffs would know better than I what's appropriate) lay lines and generally screw with both teams.