Crazy, off the wall idea before I go. Redo Comms

ZionHalcyon

Yeah, my posting time is near an end as I switch to preferred (and I know some will be so happy about that :p ).

But before I stop, I just have to unload the crazy idea I've had that will likely NEVER happen, and why maybe it isn't that crazy (at least to me):p .

One of the things I have always hated about the game is that by the time you level through a planet, you have a chance to get maybe ONE item with planetary comms from a vendor. The original team spent all this time making a TON of stuff on the vendors, USEFUL stuff, for those with comms. But by the time you can get one piece, you've already out-leveled the planet.

So my impossible suggestion is that they change up the planetary and side quests to give away comms like candy. And for Heroics, make the com payout even larger and keep the items you get. Not saying to go completely overboard, but make it so that someone who takes the time to do every single heroic and side quest will have enough between the comms and heroic gear to completely gear themselves for the next planet. It would give meaning to repeating faction quests on the 1-50 planets, and a natural progression that you will be both well armed and at the right level if you do it that way. I also think it would make the game feel less grindy. And with the way things are already, there still would be a reason to do flashpoints, as with those, you can get the same type armor but lower level requirements, so flashpoints would still hold value without even being touched.

Also as part of the tweaks, get rid of classic comms. The problem with them is that for a progression, you can COMPLETELY skip classics and go straight to basic, because of Daily and Weekly missions, Makeb, and Czerka's moon. I'd just get rid of them entirely, and convert the Hard Modes that give out classics to give out basic's instead. You just lower the basic comm requirements to 50.

It would be different if there was a sense of real progression here - where classics were what was needed to even start on certain things, but with basics being so free, its really is like an appendix - there, but unnecessary. And even the classic armors that you could get with classic comms are now able to be made by crafters.

I think classic comms is something whose time has come.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really have no problem with the planetary comms as they are now. I generally have an excess from the previous planet that you can use. If it was still the way it was where each planet had its own then i would agree with you

I really have no problem with the planetary comms as they are now. I generally have an excess from the previous planet that you can use. If it was still the way it was where each planet had its own then i would agree with you

Here's the thing though. Every planet's gear has a level cap, usually at the level it was meant to end on or the one before. So if you have excess and want to buy the gear, you still are up against the level cap and won't be able to equip the gear until you are about to leave the planet.

Now, if you are talking mods, you can get those sooner, but not the gear. And with an increase in comms, it would also cause an increase in the money sink to take credits out of the economy, as people would be able to afford updating mods as they go, meaning more money taken for removing the old ones.

One of the things I have always hated about the game is that by the time you level through a planet, you have a chance to get maybe ONE item with planetary comms from a vendor. The original team spent all this time making a TON of stuff on the vendors, USEFUL stuff, for those with comms. But by the time you can get one piece, you've already out-leveled the planet.

Step 1) Do PvP, including especially dailies

Step 2) Exchange warzone commendations for planetary comms

Step 3) Buy all the planetary items and mods you want.

Step 4) Profit

My Imperial Agent toon is just finishing Hoth. I have bought all the orange and blue Belsavis gear already (yes, I am a few levels above Hoth, due to PvP XP + GSF XP + constant +25% XP buff).

I would ignore the PvP weapons below level 55 and concentrate on checking GTN for purple and blue weapons for yourself and your companion. I found a level 35 purple blaster for Kaiyo that does insanely more damage and has better stats than level 43-44 blasters offered by vendors. Some of the planetary comm weapons are great (in my opinion, especially light sabers > blasters).

TL;DR: Do PvP.

Edited by Dreamquencher

Step 4) Profit

My toon is just finishing Hoth. I have bought all the orange and blue Belsavis gear already (yes, I am a few levels above Hoth, due to PvP XP + GSF XP + constant +25% XP buff).

I would ignore the PvP weapons below level 55 and concentrate on checking GTN for purple and blue weapons for yourself and your companion. I found a level 35 purple blaster for Kaiyo that does insanely more damage and has better stats than level 43-44 blasters offered by vendors. Some of the planetary comm weapons are great (in my opinion, especially light sabers > blasters).

This post is actually correct. PvP is the best and fastest way to gear up through the leveling experience. Regardless though I don't care to see more comms drop. Just the cap lifted or removed on planetary ones.

Honestly, would like to see the comms increased so that my alts can get geared better during lvling without having to do EVERYTHING on a planet.

RIght now, I can get enough coms to get most (if not all) of what I need from the vendors IF I do everything on a planet. Side quests and Heroics.

However, running my 1000th alt through, I don't really want to do all of it.. Once I reach the intended end-level of a planet, I start being picky and only do the quests that I enjoy, or wouldn't mind repeating, while skipping those that are either too far out of my way or just not fun to do again. Sometimes I just go straight for my class story and skip the rest.

So it would be nice for me to be able to earn enough comms to gear my character out without having to run all side quests and heroics. This could maybe be connected to our legacy, so that alts (or after a certain number of alts) get a boost to how many comms are earned, allowing us to get the gear we need/want without having to do everything for a 1000th time.

I'm pretty sure I've been getting somewhere around 30 planetary comms per planet. Almost all quests offer comms as an option, and there are several multi-stage bonus quests that give three comms each. And enemies can drop them too. If I'm not mistaken, the complete items cost around 10 comms apiece. Ever since they unified planetary commendations, outleveling is not such a problem either, as you can go to fleet and buy a higher level planet's stuff. Or get the items when arriving at a planet as opposed to leaving it.

Also as part of the tweaks, get rid of classic comms. The problem with them is that for a progression, you can COMPLETELY skip classics and go straight to basic, because of Daily and Weekly missions, Makeb, and Czerka's moon. I'd just get rid of them entirely, and convert the Hard Modes that give out classics to give out basic's instead.

I think classic commendations are mostly for players without RotHC and thus limited to level 50. The stuff bought with basic comms requires level 55, so they wouldn't be able to use it.

I really like planetary comms now, since 2.0, ive leveled a couple of alts, and its just fantastic being able to get gear that is the right level. Prior to 2.0, they were pretty much useless to me.

I do agree that classic comms are pointless now that makeb is free, but I doubt theyll do anything about it till the next major update.

Step 4) Profit

My Imperial Agent toon is just finishing Hoth. I have bought all the orange and blue Belsavis gear already (yes, I am a few levels above Hoth, due to PvP XP + GSF XP + constant +25% XP buff).

Not everyone likes PVP. People like alternatives.

I'd agree with that too.

i disagree with this. I get armoring, mods, enhancements, hilts/barrels for myself an companions. When you do your dailies for flashpoints and just your class quest...I have been able to buy armoring and mods for myself and companion. Its about budgeting comms.

And classic comms still provide use. example, lvl50-54. Cant use basic comms. So you run flashpoints, sect x and black hole to get exp and comms. I had full 61s by the time i hit 55, so i was able to do CZ198 and Oricon. That put me in dang near full 66s with ease.

While I have not tried it...I would think it would not be easy to do CZ and Oricon in 58s...or lower.

IMO ( IN MY OPINION) i think the comm system is just fine. MAYBE the thing i would change is the weekly cap for elite comms..I never hit it, but I am sure people do.

Edited by anesvik

I'm pretty sure I've been getting somewhere around 30 planetary comms per planet. Almost all quests offer comms as an option, and there are several multi-stage bonus quests that give three comms each. And enemies can drop them too. If I'm not mistaken, the complete items cost around 10 comms apiece. Ever since they unified planetary commendations, outleveling is not such a problem either, as you can go to fleet and buy a higher level planet's stuff. Or get the items when arriving at a planet as opposed to leaving it.

I think classic commendations are mostly for players without RotHC and thus limited to level 50. The stuff bought with basic comms requires level 55, so they wouldn't be able to use it.

Most armor pieces are 12-14 coms. That's only 2 pieces with the 30 comms. it seems like 30 is a lot, but it really isn't.

And I know in general access isn't a problem in terms of outlevelling. But the idea is pacing. For someone, before they outlevel, to have enough comms to gear themselves in that moment, on that planet.

It's not really a huge issue, but I'd argue that the majority of the armor vendors get ignored, and an increase in coms might help with that, as it would give usefulness to many armors in the game.

This post is actually correct.

Thank you for your kind comment. I almost fell out of my chair reading a positive response on the general forum.

I guess I have read too many "L2P noob u dunt ned commms just solo FPs lyke me n take all da phat l00t cause i am godd" posts since launch.

(bowing)

i disagree with this. I get armoring, mods, enhancements, hilts/barrels for myself an companions. When you do your dailies for flashpoints and just your class quest...I have been able to buy armoring and mods for myself and companion. Its about budgeting comms.

And classic comms still provide use. example, lvl50-54. Cant use basic comms. So you run flashpoints, sect x and black hole to get exp and comms. I had full 61s by the time i hit 55, so i was able to do CZ198 and Oricon. That but me in dang near full 66s with ease.

While I have not tried it...I would think it would not be easy to do CZ and Oricon in 58s...or lower.

IMO ( IN MY OPINION) i think the comm system is just fine. MAYBE the thing i would change is the weekly cap for elite comms..I never hit it, but I am sure people do.

Then lower the level requirements of Basic comms to 50. problem solved.

I've added this as an edit to my original post as well.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

This post is actually correct. PvP is the best and fastest way to gear up through the leveling experience. Regardless though I don't care to see more comms drop. Just the cap lifted or removed on planetary ones.

Again, not everyone PVPs.

I do find myself PVP is the quickest levelling path, but as a way to save for armor it stinks - by the time you PVP enough to buy a piece of armor, you've outlevelled it. Meaning you PvP and get one armor piece, and by the time you've PVPed enough to get the next piece, you're on the next tier of armor and the one you got before is obsolete at your new level.

And again, not everyone likes to PvP.

Keep in mind, the comms suggestion is about the ride, not the destination. Its about getting armor as you go along for the story people, not grinding out endgear.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

Then lower the level requirements of Basic comms to 50. problem solved.

I think eventually that might happen. When the level cap gets raised or better gear comes out, I am positive comms and vendors will change again. But I dont think they will make any changes without that. A comm revamp is a big change. Like wow and here, comm changes came with expansions/ higher levels.

Exactly, you arrive on a planet with enough comms to equip most your moddable gear with enough mods and amour, you equip a few more, then about half way through you start saving for the next planet. The only planet that starts to fail is Correllia, because you want Makeb Mods, which cost 10 for a armour plate and 4 for mods and enhancements.

It doesn't really need fixing, except maybe Correllia.

Exactly. If he were truly done with the game, he wouldn't be posting. He'd be done. He's going to keep playing as Preferred and then re-sub in the near future.

Reading is a skill.

I never said I was completely done with the game, just done with financially supporting bioware.

And I even warned you in the same thread not to just blindly heap everyone with a goodbye post in the same lot.

Looks like that warning went unheeded.

/Agree.

The reworking of the planetary comms they did last year was needed and is all that is needed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.