The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SW EP7 story supposedly to focus on Han, Luke, & Leia

ImmortalLowlife

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

If they use the original actors, it's gonna be a geriatric-fest. Harrison Ford is 70, and while Fisher and Hamill are younger they actually look older than Ford.

So the only way this works is if they fill the Han, Luke, and Leia roles with new actors. And I do not see that going over real well.

I really don't understand why people are so excited for more Star Wars movies. Given the state of movies these days and entertainment in general, any future Star Wars project can only end in disappointment.

Lol. Movies "these days" are fantastic, in many far superior than previous years take Avengers for example, absolutely fantastic and wouldn't have been possible 30/40 years ago. Also with the exception of a few movie series such as Star Wars the acting nowadays is far far superior to what it was in the past.

Lol. Movies "these days" are fantastic, in many far superior than previous years take Avengers for example, absolutely fantastic and wouldn't have been possible 30/40 years ago. Also with the exception of a few movie series such as Star Wars the acting nowadays is far far superior to what it was in the past.

Derp!

Not just mine unfortunately. Most people who have seen anything Star Wars after the OT thought it was mediocre at best. This very forum alone has hundreds if not thousands of threads with people complaining about how disappointed they were with various aspects of the movies. Lets not stop there though because I can think of far more instances of Star Wars going awry. Remember Droids or Ewoks? I do, and don't forget the dreaded Christmas special and the Ewoks movie. What makes you think that this time, maybe this time, its going to be awesome?

@RTCBrad Avengers sucked. Captain America was slightly better and Thor: Dark world was half decent. If you had said Pacific Rim, World War Z or Gravity I might have been able to take you seriously. Keep in mind these are just the action oriented special effects heavy movies of 2013. Great acting is not really a factor and just to put things in perspective for you, none of these movies even come close to being amazing.

Edited by Naked-Snake

Not just mine unfortunately. Most people who have seen anything Star Wars after the OT thought it was mediocre at best. This very forum alone has hundreds if not thousands of threads with people complaining about how disappointed they were with various aspects of the movies. Lets not stop there though because I can think of far more instances of Star Wars going awry. Remember Droids or Ewoks? I do, and don't forget the dreaded Christmas special and the Ewoks movie. What makes you think that this time, maybe this time, its going to be awesome?

@RTCBrad Avengers sucked. Captain America was slightly better and Thor: Dark world was half decent. If you had said Pacific Rim, World War Z or Gravity I might have been able to take you seriously. Keep in mind these are just the action oriented special effects heavy movies of 2013, great acting is not really a factor and just to put things in perspective for you, none of these movies even come close to being amazing.

Apologies, I wasn't aware that the Star Wars films represented the entirety of cinematic canon.

/sarcasm - It doesn't. The new Star Wars films are not being produced by George Lucas, they are being produced by the new generation of film makers who have brought us excellent films over the past few years.

Deal with the facts pal, not bandwagoners and internet memes.

But, but internet memes will comprise a good portion of my Revan review.

Speaking of, I haven't even gotten to Chapter 1 and there's a huge problem. This is going to take forever to read...

@Beniboybling No apology needed, its not your fault you were born in your generation.

However before you start spouting nonsense like "cinematic canon"(please define that one for me pal) and the "new generation of filmmakers"(lol you mean Abrams?), how about doing some research into what is considered good storytelling, that is if you can tear yourself away from the shiny CG effects.

Edited by Naked-Snake

@Beniboybling No apology needed, its not your fault you were born in your generation.

However before you start spouting nonsense like "cinematic canon"(please define that one for me pal) and the "new generation of filmmakers"(lol you mean Abrams?), how about doing some research into what is considered good storytelling, that is if you can tear yourself away from the shiny CG effects.

I mean films, all films not just Star Wars which does not represent the entirety of cinema. Does it?

And yes, I do mean Abrams among others. And no, why the hell would I research "good storytelling" - I'll know it when I see because I've enjoyed the story. And in so far of the Abram's films I've watched I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them and if they new movies are of the same standard I will be happy.

@RTCBrad Avengers sucked. Captain America was slightly better and Thor: Dark world was half decent. If you had said Pacific Rim, World War Z or Gravity I might have been able to take you seriously. Keep in mind these are just the action oriented special effects heavy movies of 2013. Great acting is not really a factor and just to put things in perspective for you, none of these movies even come close to being amazing.

Hmm maybe that's your opinion but the fact is Avengers was extremely well received by critics and is one of the highest grossing films of all time.

Acting isn't a factor in movies? Interesting opinion, pretty sure you are in alone in that one.

Those are all good films, what's your idea of an amazing film? Gone with the wind? Get with the times seriously.

Apologies, I wasn't aware that the Star Wars films represented the entirety of cinematic canon.

/sarcasm - It doesn't. The new Star Wars films are not being produced by George Lucas, they are being produced by the new generation of film makers who have brought us excellent films over the past few years.

Why does everyone want to **** on Lucas lately?

So what if the newer movies had jar jar binks, a really bad actor, and the worst lines ever written for a "romance". They also had great performances by several other actors and the fight scenes make the original movies look like they were in black and white.

the fight scenes make the original movies look like they were in black and white.

This is something that annoys me to no end. The fight scenes in the originals were pure, ACTUAL sword fighting and not this anime crap you see in the new movies. No sane person would *ever* fight like that with a sword against another person with a sword, they would survive 2 seconds tops.

Go watch some Kendo matches on youtube to see how people with decades of experience fight with swords.

I know it looks flashy and cool, but so does setting yourself on fire.

Edited by Jandi

And I think that is part of the problem. While the OT did have exciting action sequences, they were not what defined those movies. How many iconic lines and scenes have come out of the OT? Too many to count. How many came out of the PT or any newer action/sci-fi/fanasty movie? You can probably count them on one hand. That is what the new movies have to get back to: great storytelling with some action sprinkled in. But the more I think about it, the more I think JJ Abrams is not the man for the job. The good news is that Lawrence Kasden - the screenwriter for ESB and RotJ - is now on board, but only time will tell if JJ pays attention.

This is something that annoys me to no end. The fight scenes in the originals were pure, ACTUAL sword fighting and not this anime crap you see in the new movies. No sane person would *ever* fight like that with a sword against another person with a sword, they would survive 2 seconds tops.

Go watch some Kendo matches on youtube to see how people with decades of experience fight with swords.

Right but this is a fictional universe with a mystical energy called the "Force" that is supposed to be able to heighten reflexes, speed, and strength. Not just a collection of people who choose to use swords instead of guns confined to real-world limits.

Special effects technology has improved every year so what if the fights we see in the PT are more what GL envisioned all along but was limited to the tech of the time for the OT? Before this is immediately disregarded this has happened before in cinema, ie James Cameron had everything all drawn up for Avatar in the late 90's but wanted technology to catch up to match his vision. Don't get me wrong I like all the movies and fight scenes but it is even clear that the fights become more sophisticated and visually appealing/complicated from ANH to ESB to ROTJ (by the way in ROTJ Darth Vader throws his saber at Luke and I don't know how many experts on youtube do that..).

Edited by sell-dog

Right but this is a fictional universe with a mystical energy called the "Force" that is supposed to be able to heighten reflexes, speed, and strength. Not just a collection of people who choose to use swords instead of guns confined to real-world limits.

Special effects technology has improved every year so what if the fights we see in the PT are more what GL envisioned all along but was limited to the tech of the time for the OT? Before this is immediately disregarded this has happened before in cinema, ie James Cameron had everything all drawn up for Avatar in the late 90's but wanted technology to catch up to match his vision. Don't get me wrong I like all the movies and fight scenes but it is even clear that the fights become more sophisticated and visually appealing/complicated from ANH to ESB to ROTJ (by the way in ROTJ Darth Vader throws his saber at Luke and I don't know how many experts on youtube do that..).

It's not the visual aspect of it, but the style of fighting. It makes no sense. It's like watching a guy empty his clip to his hand and starting to throw bullets. Makes, No. Sense. :D

It's not the visual aspect of it, but the style of fighting.

Ah I see, I misunderstood.

It's like watching a guy empty his clip to his hand and starting to throw bullets. Makes, No. Sense. :D

I don't know I could see Magneto or Neo doing this effectively :D

Lightsabers aren't swords and would handle nothing like them.

I know quite a bit about real, actual swords and their use and own a few. I can't imagine would it would be like to have a flashlight in your hand and then try and wield it.

It's not the visual aspect of it, but the style of fighting. It makes no sense. It's like watching a guy empty his clip to his hand and starting to throw bullets. Makes, No. Sense.

About as much sense as calling it a "clip".

Edited by Kain_Turinbar

From my understanding from everything I have read EP7 is wanting to focus on these three before their children take over. This may be a good idea so people would understand the tie in to the new characters. (specifically the ones that have no idea who the children are) as they are looking to bring in new people that may have never seen or even read Star Wars.

My two cents.

Lightsabers aren't swords and would handle nothing like them.

I know quite a bit about real, actual swords and their use and own a few. I can't imagine would it would be like to have a flashlight in your hand and then try and wield it.

That's the point, they look like they are using sticks, not pieces of metal and the way they use the energy blade to parry etc, is nothing like how you would use a blade to do so. It's bad in 2 ways.

Example, why would you use a slow, overhand slash with a lightsaber? You wouldn't, there is no weight in the blade.

About as much sense as calling it a "clip".

Awww, I'm sorry mister literal, here, let's call it magazine. You know exactly what I mean, if you know about sword fighting as you claim. You would know that you would never fight like that if your weapon was a 1.5m long enrgy beam fixed to a hilt. Again, sure it looks cool and all but it's silly.

Edited by Jandi

That's the point, they look like they are using sticks, not pieces of metal and the way they use the energy blade to parry etc, is nothing like how you would use a blade to do so. It's bad in 2 ways.

Example, why would you use a slow, overhand slash with a lightsaber? You wouldn't, there is no weight in the blade.

Awww, I'm sorry mister literal, here, let's call it magazine. You know exactly what I mean, if you know about sword fighting as you claim. You would know that you would never fight like that if your weapon was a 1.5m long enrgy beam fixed to a hilt. Again, sure it looks cool and all but it's silly.

Since lightsabers aren't real speculating on how they should be used is like speculation on how the force works. The less similar the sequences are to real life sword use the better IMO.

Why does everyone want to **** on Lucas lately?

So what if the newer movies had jar jar binks, a really bad actor, and the worst lines ever written for a "romance". They also had great performances by several other actors and the fight scenes make the original movies look like they were in black and white.

Don't jump to the conclusion I am. I'm merely pointing out the logical inconsistency in his arguments i.e. that because the previous films produced by George Lucas were in his opinion bad the next films not produced by George Lucas will also be bad. In reality I whole heartedly respect George Lucas as an amazing storyteller and gifted director, I think the Prequels could have been done better but ultimately I enjoyed them, ROTS being probably my favourite Star Wars film. Drawing with Empire perhaps. And for the record, I have nothing against Ewoks, in fact I like them.

It's not the visual aspect of it, but the style of fighting. It makes no sense. It's like watching a guy empty his clip to his hand and starting to throw bullets. Makes, No. Sense. :D
I don't know, since the Prequels the lightsaber forms and styles have been fleshed out in what seems logical to me.

And then its fantasy, it doesn't have to be realistic. Like at all.

Edited by Beniboybling